1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to learn about religious fundamentalism?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jnoemanh, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

You know, the "Kill them all; let God sort them out" types, Christians, Muslims, Jews.

6 hours, starting tonight on CNN. Link above.

2. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Heck...I'll watch it just to see Christiane Amanpour. Yum! :)

3. gotbass

gotbass Member

straight scoop from the communist news network, yeah right. This program brought to you by atheists.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I still got the hots for Ashleigh Banfield.

She must have been demoted for not giving it up to some network Lord.

Ashleigh, come to my house any time. (If Anne coulter is there, just wait a few minutes).

HM

HM

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

halfmile - just a few minutes? is that a comment on sweet Anne or an admission of shooting fast on your part. I think Anne is worth investing the time to do it right.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I learned all I need to know about fanatical Muslim religious fundamentalism on Sept 11, 2001.

7. halfmile

Gotbass, if Ashleigh is waiting Anne gets the quickie treatment.

As far as the Jewish contribution to the mess, I have to say 90 percent.

Again: Balfour declaration, 1917. Squatter arrivals, 1947. Strife and turmoil, from then on.

HM

8. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Was a great show and i look forward to the other 2 parts. Maybe Brian in Oregon will learn WHY the muslims hate the western world. but i doubt it.

Religion has always been the largest perpetrator of evil acts in our history, yet we always want to blame the "other guy's" religion.

In the show the jews kept saying..."you cant steal that which you own, our land was given to us by God, it says so in the Bible". Frankly, this made me sick to my stomach.

My solution..nuke jerusalem so that neither side can have it...but I know they'll find another place to kill each other over.

Age of Reason? only for some of us, i guess.

9. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

"Religion has always been the largest perpetrator of evil acts in our history, yet we always want to blame the "other guy's" religion." - Revsublime

Rev - If you took ALL the people who lost their lives in the Crusades and other "religious" wars in the history of the world it wouldn't come close to the over 100 million people who were killed due to Hitler, Stalin, Lenin & Mao Tse Tung's secular wars. Stalin is personally responsible for 20 million deaths himself.

Sorry your hatred for religion is based on such mis-information.

hubcap

10. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

100 million is nothing compared to the last 4000 years of religious history...sorry, I aint buying that.

11. halfmile

the jews of today are not the original inhabitants of the Holy land.

11 of the 12 Hebrew tribes left the area at the dime of the Dispersion.

Most of the (Ashkenazic) Jews of today Have Khazarian forebears form an area that was called the Pale, between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea. They were the inventors of the Yiddish language and adopted the Hebrew's faith in around the 5th century or so. They were also very usurious and not wanted in areas the catholic Church controlled.

That's what squats in the Holy land now.

HM

12. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Hey Revsublime - so you don't buy 100 million compared to the last 4000 years of religious history ----- why don't you provide me with some facts to back up your assertion.

I assume you would agree that our opinions should be based on facts???

hubcap

13. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i dont think there were many body counts during the Crusades, or during the Spanish Inquisition, or during the conversion of Latin America. And if you take into account the Old Testament where whole villages were murdered under god's orders...well...thats a whole lotta death.

all over mythology.

14. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Rev - You might be interested to know that the best estimates place the TOTAL number of deaths in the Crusades at around 100k, the Spainish Inquisition - 5k, Salem witch trials - 24. Let's assume the conquest of Latin America at 100k.

You haven't even came close to the 100 million just in the last 100 years caused by secular leaders. If you want me to start adding the "evil" perpetrated by secular leaders over the last 4000 years I will.

Heck the Mongols probably killed more than all religious wars ever fought. Hannibal killed 50k Romans in one day at Cannae.

Sorry my friend but the FACTS don't fit your opinion.

Your hatred of religion distorts your view of the world.

Hubcap

15. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

well hey...religion has always been good for distorting the view of the world. Whether pro or con. :)

THe Age of Reason has yet to come, as long as people are willing to believe in mythology.

16. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Rev - Funny you use the word "evil" to describe wars based on religion.

You can't even define evil outside of religion. If there is no God there is no such thing as evil.

Since you're obviously not "religious" ......... are you a "humanist" ?

By the way, I'm still waiting on those facts to back your assertions.

hubcap

17. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

i used evil to speak in terms religionists would understand. Not quite sure i believe in evil, per se. I believe in right and wrong. But an undercurrent of evil? Not really.

as to the facts you crave...sorry, but I dont think the Catholic church kept track of all the pagans they slaughtered on their rise to power. I dont think Moses & Abraham we're in the body enumerating business either.

18. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

""When was the last time a Billy Graham sermon killed a Islamist"? "

Hard to say for certain since Billy hasn't pulled a trigger himself, but someone motivated Eric Rudolph's religious terrorism. Rudolph didn't kill Islamists, however. He killed Americans...for God.

19. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Rev - You don't believe in evil ....... just right and wrong? You can't even define right and wrong with any authority outside religion. What's wrong for you may be right for someone else........isn't that one of the tenets of post modernism?

You want to blame religion for doing wrong when by your own humanist post modern philosophy there are no absolutes when it comes to right and wrong.

Your religion is simply humanism as opposed to deism. You're simply criticizing someone else's religion while saying YOURS is the correct one.

You're no different than those you condemn............saying you're right while everyone else is wrong.

And once again your opinion of who has done the greater evil is simply based on wishful thinking on your part. The Catholics didn't keep records of how many they slaughtered? Gimme a break. Your hatred of organized christianity blinds you to the facts and you won't even admit it.

Give me any shred of evidence the Catholic church slaughtered anywhere close to 100,000,000 people. Remember lets just look at the FACTS. If you're not willing to do that then quit making statements like: "Religion has always been the largest perpetrator of evil acts in our history, yet we always want to blame the "other guy's" religion."

As I've already pointed out you are guilty of doing exactly what you accuse others of doing. Your religion is simply humanism as opposed to deism.

hubcap

20. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

I have no religion. I worship nothing. I dont need religion to determine my moral compass. And, as we've seen, religion isnt all that great as a moral compass even if they havent murdered as many as the seculars have. They've murdered plenty. Where was the moral compass there?

You say I subscribe to the post modern humanist religion. I say you are making terrible assumptions. When it comes to right and wrong, I say...do what you will as long as it harms no one else. I guess you could say that Liberty is my moral compass, though I do not bow down before it. I do not follow it in "faith". Liberty is fact, deities are faith. And never the twain shall meet.

Myabe i misspoke in saying that more have died because of religion than other reasons. I do not believe it is possible to quantify. But when i see a religion that teaches "turn the other cheek", "love thy neighbor", etc...and the people who espouse this creed and do not follow it...yes, I will tend to attack it.

Neither Hitler nor Stalin decryed that life is sacred...yet Christian, Muslims, and Jews all have...yet, often they only pay lip service to that notion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.