1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to Know about the Alfermann

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I have seen pictures of and heard references to the Alfermann SBT. However, I've never seen one in person and know nothing about its history, design, strengths and weaknesses. Don't know if there is an Alfermann website. However, I do have a softspot for all American-made SBT guns...Ljutic to Seitz with Infinity and Bowen etc. as part of that family.

Thanks..inquiring minds again.

Shoot Often, Shoot Well

2. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

A small custom gun company, the gun is kind of a copy of the original Seitz although they make an over under. They also made the Silver Dollar Special.

3. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks, where are they made? Interesting, I heard that the Bowen is a copy of the original Seitz. The Silver Seitz, I've heard, is a different gun. But the TS by DiSommone is a copy of the Silver Seitz.

Alfermann sounds like a good one too.

4. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

They are made in Washington, MO by Gary and Larry Alfermann. Both are tool and die engineers and, from a tool and die engineer (me), they are tops! Karrol Hillebrand also shoots one and thinks it's great.

good Luck

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If you have time, can you answer: How does the Alfermann compare and contrast to the Bill Cole and to the Ljutic and to the Bowen etc.? It sure sounds tops...to what gun is it most similiar in weight and dynamics? Thanks..

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks; it's great to know that there are such fine pieces of equipment continuing to be manufactured for passion and not only for money. If and when I ever come accross an Alfermann "in the flesh", I'll take a long close look at it.

Thanks.

7. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks Joe. I imagine it will be a fluke if I ever see an Alfermann; I live on the West Coast in Los Angeles.

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I bought a used one this spring for a very fair price. I had Ken Rucker put a Bumpbuster on it, and sent it back to Gary to have the trigger converted to release. The wood on it is a knockout. I've had many comments on how fine it looks. It has a very tight choke - if I'm on the target they are crushed even from the 27. It got me to the 27 this summer after years of shooting from shorter yardage. As of now, I'm not in the market for any other single barrel trap gun. If I had the resources, I'd strongly consider their twin barrel for a doubles gun.

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Chango 2, you never know where I'll show up and if I do get into your area then you can look all you want at mine.

I recently went to one after the Grand (where it was purchased). It is a bit of a learning curve incomparison to the type of guns that I did alarge portion of my shooting with the last twenty years.

As a comparison to other custom singles, its way different to me than a cole, similar to an old style Ljutic mono or Silver Seitz.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks to all for the information and friendly communication given here. I am a big fan of American made SBT guns and wished to learn about the Alfermann. I do shoot a Cole at this time and like the Cole very much. Acquisition of the Cole piqued my interest about the Alfermann, Bowen, Infinity, Ljutic, (Mach I-the older Infinity), Seitz, and TS-1. I have a soft spot for these guns in contrast to the more commonplace trap combo.

Enjoy hearing any and all information about these special guns that, IMO, are made for love as much as money.

11. TjayE

TjayE Member

Can anyone give me more information on the Alfermann double "TWIN" gun? I saw one at the Grand in Vandalia, several years ago. I thing the serial number was TWO. Also a twin (gold receiver) that had the owner's monogram in place of the serial number. Tom

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

The Alfermann "Twinns" feature a set of barrels machined from 1 (one) piece of steel providing the strength, rigidity, and POI not found on others. The Hammer-lock trigger system are as reliable and crisp as the SBT. All Twinns have Briley choke tubes and the barrels are 31" long.

The external appearance is the ONLY similarity to other brands (you can only make so many shapes. The Alfy most closely resembles the external shape of the Mod 12 Winchester! without the ejection port ) The Twinn is a bit deeper (1/4") to allow for the 2 barrels.

The Hammer-Loc design of the trigger mechanism in both guns allows the precise setting of weights and releases (within reason) that a shooter may require. NO CREEP or DELAY is apparent and the setting stays constant over many, many rounds. I like to use the example of breaking an icecicle in January.

I can answer most questions about the Alfermann, but sometimes I have to rely on the Alfermann Twinns (identical) for technical advise......merlyn.......

13. TjayE

TjayE Member

merlyn, do you have a web site?

14. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Chngo2:

Ok I got phot's of one that is for sale it is an over and under version.

He might have already sold it will have to see incase anyone is interested.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/Guns%20for%20SAle/bob%20L/?action=view&current=895630_alfertrap_02l.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/Guns%20for%20SAle/bob%20L/?action=view&current=895630_alfertrap_04l.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v294/foghorn220/Guns%20for%20SAle/bob%20L/?action=view&current=895630_alfertrap_01m.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

fog

15. alf72

alf72 TS Member

I shoot 1 1/2 oz thru mine weekly,its a tank you can't hurt it. have been shooting #72 for 3 years. also gary and larry top notch people !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

alfermann double

alfermann trap guns serial numbers

larry alfermann

seitz vs ljutic

silver seitz locking mechanism