1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to ditch landline, but email is attached

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by starshot2b, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

We want to get rid of our landline since we rarely use it. The problem is my main email address. I pay a fee every month for dial-up access (which I don't use anymore) so I can keep my email address that I've had for over many years.

Any suggestions on what I can switch to other than Yahoo or Gmail? The major problem is all the people and places I have my current email attached to and the security of the email. Is there a fast way of notifying or is a one by one thing?

Thanks in advance.

2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Just send an email to all of your address book BEFORE you discontinue your service. Easy as that.

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

I would suggest that you investigate the Fastmail.fm email client. They are a dedicated email service out of Australia with servers and backups in the US. They offer 4 levels of accounts, 3 of which offer excellent spam and virus filtering. They also support several online forums monitored my the developers to address any concerns with the service.

Other than the free entry level, the services begin at $5/year go up according to the amount of storage and bandwidth purchased. The global service is competent and professional.

Carol Lister

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I use Verizon boadband high speed internet service when I'm on the road. It costs about 60 bucks a month for unllimited service and I have yet to find a place where I can't connect. You can then use your present account to email your address book from then close out your land line. I have used Verizon cell service for as long as I can remember and have had no issues and generally good service.

Bob

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

BellAltlantic, which is now Verizon, is the only ISP I've ever used. I started with their dial-up service, upgraded to their DSL when it became available and now use their FIOS (fiber optic) service. On the three occasions I've had a problem over all those years, they got it remedied very quickly and in understandable English! I've also used Verizon Wireless for my cellular phone service for the past eight years and can only tell you how much better it is that the ones I had before!

Ed

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have Verizon Wireless for my cellular as well and it's great...unfortunately they don't have service (broadband and the like) out where I am. It took forever just to get a variation of wireless internet here.

I will look into the hosted services and go from there.

Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I had AT&T dial up service for years. I wanted to cancel it. They have a program where for $5 a month you keep you email address,and you can still use the dial-up for a per-minute charge. The benefit is that I can still get email at my AT&T address, and if I'm ever stuck someplace with no wireless service, I can still get on the internet with a telephone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.