1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

want to buy remington 1100 magnum or

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I would like to buy an older remington 1100 magnum for duck hunting. I have an 870 super mag that always worked fine, but my left shoulder will not allow me to work the pump all the time. I might also be interested in an 1187, but I use an 1100 for trap shooting and would rather have one I believe. Exterior condition is not too important if it is a sound shooter. I have several 22 rifles and maybe the 3 1/2" 870 would be trading fodder. Tripod

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

O.K. thanks

3. BIGDOG1

BIGDOG1 TS Member

Greetings from Maine!

Have you solved your duck gun search yet?

Thanks,

Dick Bloxam

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

not yet

5. badminton

badminton Member

Tripod, I have one let me know if you are still interested.

xxkminton2@tampabay.rr.comxx

Remove X's from email.

Kelly

6. PITA ; please move East

PITA ; please move East TS Member

If you go to Cabela's web site it will verify what I am about to tell you to be true.

You do not need to buy a magnum gun. Most of them will have a full choke which is no good if you are shooting steel so you would have to get the choke opened up or have choke tubes put in. You can have a 2 3/4 inch gun and shoot 3inch steel magnums out of it if you buy one of the "steel shot" barrels. With the money you would have to spend on the full choke barrel work you could put towards the new barrel. This is the web page.... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20805_TGP&rid=&indexId=cat20805&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=2&parentType=index&parentId=cat20805&id=0005760

Here is a quote from that page........

# All barrels for the Model 1100 have 2-3/4" chambers (except steel shot barrel). When steel shot barrel is used with non-magnum receiver, you can shoot 2-3/4" magnum lead or steel or 3" magnum steel shotshells. DO NOT USE 3" magnum lead. Used with a magnum receiver, you can shoot 2-3/4" magnum or 3" magnum steel or lead shotshells.

7. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

still lookin

8. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Why don't you lok at a Browning A 5 mag. They are a sound gun that will last you longer then a 100 or 1187.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

will my extra barrels fit it?

10. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

I don't know. What is your extra barrel? As for duck hunting I would take an A5 over anything else thats made. 1100's have yet to live through one duck season on the bay. They always die.

11. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Sorry MIA but on the bay the duck guides tried to save money by buying the 1100 and all that bought them sold them before the season was out because of problems with the gun and went and bought what they should have a Browning A5. Those guns are still in use with minor service that they get. Please know that the people who work on the water treat their guns a tools. Far diff then we do with our guns. The 1100 is a good gun in the field but not on salt water.

12. SD duck

SD duck TS Member

Gar,

How do you immunize the A-5 from salt water and why wouldn't that work as well on a 1100?
    Also, what do do to prohibit the A-5 forends from cracking like they always do?

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

PITA ... one of the reasons why he might specificly want the 1100 magnum is was made for the 3" magnum shells and I'm not going to correct you on your Cabela's quotation but I was not aware that you could shoot a 3" shell out of a gun designed to shoot a 2-3/4" shell. Yes the chamber is big enough but is the ejection port big enough.

Like I said the reason why Remington made an 1100 Magnum was for the 3" shells and matter of factly that gun had serious problems shooting 2-3/4" shells.

If your looking for a good duck/waterfowl/hunting/spare backup gun and for a gun that shoots exactly the same as an 1100 get an 11-87 Super Magnum which will handle everything from 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" loads.

14. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I have three other 1100's and lots of extra parts and a few extra barrels. I have had good luck for 30 years with them and wanted to stay with them.

15. 682b

682b Member

Mike. as usual you are full of it or just out trolling but I will bite. The 1100 3" is a great gun. I hunted the Bay as well as many if it's tributaries for much of my life. I hunted the Potomac, Mattponi,York and James river The gun will function as it was designed to if you give it reasonable care. This guy may live 500 miles from salt or brakish water and you are telling him the gun is crap. If the guides you are talking about did not take care of there tools they should buy new ones. They work on the water 100+ days a year and make good money doing what they want to do.
    I have to admit every few years I would get my gun reblued but even your beloved browning would need that. The A5 kicks like no other auto I ever shot.
    The 3" gun with its correct recoil buffer will do the job. I invested in a Hastings 3" choke tube barrel and it is not nearly the investment of most any other gun.
    This past weekend I shot it with a target stock and barrel and shot a 99 down in N Carolina. So if you want to continue this conversation in person look me up at Ft Lee the next time you come by. JIM

16. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Still looking for one

17. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

SD Duck, you and I treat our guns very well. We will clean and maintain our guns when they need to be. The people who guide on the bay their guns are tools. Nothing more nothing less. They have been using the A5 for years and years. They have proven themselves time and time again. They just keep working no matter what they do to them and they are not a fussy gun when it comes to being dirty. Thats just the way they are. As for the forearm. I have seen alot of them just glued or fiberglassed together. Ugly as hell but they work.

Lumber, no you can not shot a 3" shell from a 2 3/4" gun. The A5 was also made in a mag gun a 3" shell chamber.

683b, just to let you know that my name is not Mike. I have tried to tell you all that. I never at any point said that was who I was. It was someone else who posted that name to Gargoyle. You have diff grades of people who take diff care of their guns. I only duck hunt 2 to 3 times a year while the guides are out there most of the time. Their guns get a work out and most likely only get cleaned at the end of the season.

MIA, I to will clean my gun when it needs it or when I think saltwater got in it. If you were a guide you are to tired or to busy to clean your gun every day. As I said before they just might get a cleaning in the season but most likely only at the end of the season. Good duck hunting this season to you all.

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Gargoyle ... go back and read and then read again a little slower what I said. I never said you could shoot a 3" shell from a 2-3/4" gun.

In case you dont want to go back I will cut and paste this part for you ... "I was not aware that you could shoot a 3" shell out of a gun designed to shoot a 2-3/4" shell. Yes the chamber is big enough but is the ejection port big enough."

Now just what part of that am I saying you can shoot a 3" shell from a 2-3/4" gun?

Just a little off topic for a moment but it amazes me at what some think they are reading instead of thinking about what they are reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

where can i buy a remington 1100 magnum