1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want to buy a good 12g reloader! Any help?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by zerafa, Apr 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Want to buy a good reloader for 12g shotshells, could be secondhand as far as it is in a good working order and it has to be sent to MALTA, i pay for postage and packing, any help for what I should buy and what I shouldnt?
    I am very new to this as I've always bought factory once.
    Thanks in advance.

2. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Mec seems to be pretty popular!!!!!!!!!!

3. jrdaniels

jrdaniels TS Member

MEC's arent bad. I like RCBS and Dillon better.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Zerafa, I think that a Mec reloader will work great for you. The higher end dollar reloaders are very good as well for someone who is a high volume shooter who has reloaded enough shells to want the very best. Now as far as the type of Mec reloader that is good for you, first I would like to say that for someone that has not reloaded before I would recomend a simple type of single stage reloader. Until you get used to reloading, it will keep you from makeing alot of mistakes and spilled shot and powder. But at the same time I need to know how many shells a month you shoot?? A single stage reloader is very good for someone who shoots 400 or shells a month. For someone who shoots double this about it will not work well for you. A single stage will load about 150 rounds a hour once you get used to it. It is possible to get up to about 200 or so, but you will not keep that pace up for long. Do you plan to reload for a break open shotgun or a automatic type?? Do some homework before you buy one. Do you have ready access to all your reloading components as well.Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

5. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

MEC is the loader of choice!! Mec will run with the high dollar machines hands down. I agree that the single stage loader is the way to start off. After a few weeks your gonna wish you spent a little extra and went with a MEC 9000g which is auto indexing. Start out with a MEC single stage and learn the loading process one step at a time. You can get a used one for under $100. You need to have someone show you how to load. Its very simple to do but you must be coached along at first to learn what each stage does and how to correct your mistakes. You will make alot of mistakes, guaranteed!!!!! I just purchased a new 9000g a few months ago and i cant keep enough lead on hand because its so enjoyable to load.

6. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Mec Jr. for the novice/no volume shooter

Mec 9000 for the high volume shooter

Spolar for the guy who has it all and them some.

Save the money on the loader so you can buy the shot.

Mec = best bang for the buck. Tons on Ebay too.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I love my MECs, but really find someone with a mec 8567 or 9000 and check it out. I load about 250 shells per hour on my 650. great if loading same shells shot from same gun. No resizer on the 650s. Look local want ads yard sales best bet for a real deal. The gent who showed me how to reload showed me on a 9000 ONE SHELL AT A TIME makeing it a single stage loader. If loading just one shell for trap I personally would get the grabber or 9000. Load one shell at a time until you get the hang of it. If you find loader locally for cheap. 600jrs for 20bucks or a 650 for 50 at yard sales are a great find. I hung out with the guy I trusted to give me the right info when begining to reload. Ebay has plenty of used Mec loaders and maybe dillons rcbs too, just never looked for them. Mec 600s and 650s are plentiful. also some older sizemasters which is a 600 with a resizer on it. Good luck. I have a 600jr 12gauge that is missing bottles bars and washers, wad quide. Been useing it to resize only. Good for those who like to rehab.

8. leadspreader

leadspreader TS Member

I agree w/ most on the mec. would look for a 8567 grabber to start with . they are pretty forgiving IF YOU TAKE IT SLOW TO START. they have all the features of the 9000 series loaders w/out the auto indexing. this feature makes it a little easier for a begginner.I have an 8567 hydralic and can load about 300/hr taking my time and making sure I dont have any flaws.these are not as plentiful as the manual grabber. you should be able to find a used grabber for around 125-175. good luck

9. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

maclellan1911, please give me details of the guy you mentioned, I am will to pay up to $200 for a good second hand one.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

what do you need for details?

11. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

What about a mec 762r, found a cheap one to buy, any good? can compare to a 900?

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Go to mecreloaders.com top left is production line up. Next screen has past and present models. Read through. 762r is model before 8567 and 9000. I personally have not seen any of those. 100.00 or less i would buy it,thats me though.

13. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

I agree, thanks maclellan

14. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

If you do buy a used mec take advantage of their email support and phone support. Helped me sort out my first USED loader. 1/2 hour on the phone got me up and running.

15. zerafa

zerafa TS Member

Somebody asked me if I want a "ponsness 800 b" whqt do you comment on this ?

your comments are very helpful thanks.

16. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

So far in my area I have not seen anything but mecs. PWs have a great rep also.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

google it, a lot of info. Looks like a work horse and also has some great acc's. The auto hull feeder looks cool.

18. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

loading of one shell at a time, will decrease any problems with a progressive. I had someone show me how to reload on a 9000. He disabled the auto index. one shell in turn carrier, pull handle resize turn prime powder drops, turn place wad pull seats wad drops shot turn. Now the charge bar will lock to the right. turn through the crimp stations. when shell is done repeat. Then slowly increased amount of shells. With out hydralic loader I find loading with my 650 is just a tad slower than the 9000. I resize any suspect shells on a 600jr. Find any Mec loader local cheap. Cheap to me 600s 30 or less 650 and size masters 100 or less grabbers 200 or less 9000 300 or less. after that you will have to pay market value. Good deals can be found.

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

A MEC Grabber is almost identical to the 9000. The only difference is with a Grabber you have to manually rotate the turret; whereas the 9000 does it for you. Yes, until you "get the hang of it", you will have an occasional mess. The learning process can be frustrating. If you get distracted or have a couple of cocktails before loading; you are guaranteed a messy situation! A Grabber can be had used for very little money. You can always progress to a more sophisticated loader and can sell the Grabber without losing a lot of $$, if you wish. I wouldn't discount the Hornady 366 either. MEC and Hornady are great when it comes to customer service. Ed

20. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I reload on days I would normal shoot, if raining I load instead of shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.