1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

want to blacken stainless bbl

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Dec 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i have a rifle barrel thats polished stainless, i want it a flat black, what and who to have done,

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

you could have one of those coating places do it- one of those with polymer coatings-

If you didnt care about touch up- you could just use flat black paint from Menards and touch up as needed- that is the cheapest way

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

I once tried black oxide on stainless. It was not a success.
    Black oxide also goes by the brand name Du-lite. We call it bluing.

There may be process that works on stainless, but the salts I used did not.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I got a can of Krylon flat black spray paint at the hardware store. It worked just fine and lasted a long time. HMB

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I can cerakote it for you. It's a polymer finish with ceramic mixed in, very durable and looks great. Email me for details, Ross

6. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

You won't go wrong with Cerakote.

Robert

7. SC trapshooter

SC trapshooter Member

Check with some of the plating companies close to you. There is a commercial process to blacken stainless. Some trim items for automobiles use it. Winchester used to iron plate their model 70 barrels then blue the iron. I had a 70 in 220 Swift that someone had scrubbed all the blue off and had a local plater black it for me. Looked good.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

You can't go wrong either with Duracote, and you can do it yourself.

9. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

If you dont want to do it yourself, one place to check is Birdsong Enterprises - Walter has passed on but his son is still operating the company - their coating is called Black-T and is TUFF----(601) 939-7448. located near Jackson, MS

10. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Several years ago I had some stainless blackened by some outfit in Florida, don't remember their name but I have to say it looked like crap. Might have been alright for somethings but my Ruger Blackhawk looked awfull. Had a local guy bead blast the black off it wasn't very deep for me and it actually looked better than original even though it wasn't black like I wanted. Now I would have it coated and from what I've read that ceramic coating is the best.

11. jbailey

jbailey Active Member

Industrial black chrome is an option. Check with your local plating shop. I've also seen it on motorcycle exhausts. It might only be available is a high gloss finish.

12. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

Why exactlydo you want this?

Tony Fortino

13. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Cerakote it. Abacked on ceramic finish, extremely hardy.

H-S Precision here has most of their guns done this way.

Their link: www.nicindustries.com

The haave a nice site showing colors, etc.

WW

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Cerakote. Nothing better but why?

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ok seeing you just want to use it for hunting- flat black rustoleum

$3.95 from Menards

regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- if you want to take it off and sell it- you can still do that

If you want to pay $200-$400(after you pay for shipping and insurance both ways) for something you cant take off- that is ok also

16. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If money is no object get some high dollar plating done. My father in law has one of the original remington 700 with the stainless steel .300 win mag barrels from the 60's. he paints it flat black once every 10 years. First time I saw the gun i thought the bluing was coming off in flakes and I thought to myself( WTF????) he saw me looking at it and started laughing. he reached over and pulled off a chunk of paint and told me what it was. Flat black rattle can from the hardware story. Lasts him about 10 years between paint jobs and he hunts 5 western states for over a month each year. I suspect that one season of hunting the way he hunts would be a lifetime for most guns. I would not cerakote it unless I was 100% sure I would be keeping it for a lifetime. That's me though.... Mr. tightwad. Good luck, and if you are looking for good Cerkote cheap check www. snipershide.com and poke around. Lots of guys doing cerkote and it seems like a barrel should be less then 100 bucks. you could buy the kit and do it yourself as my of these guys are just using the wife kitchen oven and the results are great. It really can't be that hard as I know a few guys who have done it and they are no more mechanically inclined then i am and that ain't saying much. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.