1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want some work done on my Sterlingworth

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

This gun is not original as the 30" barrel has been reblued (nice job)and the stock is not original. The gun has .735/736 bores and is choked .016 and .041. According to the serial number it is a 1919 gun.

Would like to have it either opened up or thinwalls installed. Would be leaning toward Briley for that as I get a discount but Wright's might be an option. Want automatic safety disconnected and may have case colors redone as they are all gone.

Any recommendations? Posting a few pics below.

claybrdr_2008_0303168.jpg

claybrdr_2008_0303169.jpg

claybrdr_2008_0303170.jpg

claybrdr_2008_0303171.jpg

claybrdr_2008_0303172.jpg

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Very pretty gun Claybrdr. Your Briley's will be hidden as opposed to an extended tube. I think that would be a major consideration. Good luck.Bob

3. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Why mess it up---I love the orig---There are many others to make a shooter out of---JMO---

4. johnboy

johnboy Member

Nice Sterlingworth, especially the wood. Depending on the barrel weight you may not be able to have choke tubes installed. I had a Ithaca flues restored by a fellow named Gunther Frommer ( not sure about spelling), did a good job. I believe he had someone else do the case colors. A lot cheaper than Turnbull.

I removed the link from the lever to the safety on my Fox by following instructions I found on the net. Very simple task , just use proper screw drivers.

5. Bob Hawkes

You've got a bigger set than me Johnboy. I've even bought a real "beater" just to experiment with. Where did you get the good info? PM me if you'd like. Thank you, Bob

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

If you really want to do the case color I would see if Briley could handle the whole project. They would sub out the work but I'm positive that the results would be great. Sending a gun or parts of it to several different sources is a pain.

Joe Goldberg

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Please oh PLEASE don't screw this gun up. Its not worth ruining this outstanding gun by screw ups so PLEASE don't do it.

Tom

8. Bob Hawkes

How are you screwing it up. Only the receiver is original now. Beautiful added wood, certainly compliments the looks and is more of a shooter. Fix it the way you want it, I assume that's why you own it--to shoot and enjoy. Good Luck.

9. claybrdr

Thanks for the comments. I thought I might set it up for some Vintager matches.

Well, just got back from shooting it with some 28 ga Chambermates. Second station the trigger got really hard to pull and then it would not fire. The firing pin is protruding through the receiver face so probably the hammer didn't re-cock. Now have to add that to the worksheet!!!

10. claybrdr

On its way to Briley...

11. johnboy

johnboy Member

Lets know how the project comes out.

12. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I had flush mount thinwalls put in my LC Smith by briley and you have to look real hard to know they are their. I am very happy with the work. Wild Bill

13. claybrdr

I've scaled the work order back so as not to include new case coloring, Briley charges $600 for that. Maybe later....

14. claybrdr

There are better deals. Wright's is less than $400 but I'll more than likely leave it as is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.