1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want receiver refinished in grey stone (UPDATED)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CMPeterson, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

I have a beretta S686E receiver I need refinished, any suggestions on who to send it to and possible cost and lead time?
    Thanks CORY

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never heard of any place that could replicate the greystone finish. If you find someone that does it, please post back, I would have it done to my Kolar in a heartbeat.

3. 682 beretta

682 beretta Member

good luck, I have been searching on and off for years. I called Beretta USA and they will do it, only on a Beretta and the gun has to be shipped to Italy.
    Barney

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Angelo Bee has a "French Grey" color that he finishes his engraving projects with. You might look it up and contact Angelo.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

French grey is just partially removed bluing. No more protective or durable than regular bluing is.

6. turmite

turmite Member

http://www.finishing.com/shops/industrial/greystone.shtml

Curious if the shop did work for Beretta?

Same name

Mike

7. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Look up CeraKote on NIC's website. The "Greystone" finish was just a coating and CeraKote is the best coating there is for firearms. Lot's of colors to choose from.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

It appears the Greystone above is the name of a company, not the process.

I've hunted around to find out about the greystone process also and what I've come up with is, its a nidriding process. Now there are several types of nitriding, most involve some type of heat-treating (like the Browning & new Krieghoffs), and some of the nitriding involves inducing a thin layer of other material, like titanium nitriding.

A few years back, I had called Beretta USA and just happened to speak with someone with an Italian accent about why they discontinued the greystone. He told me it was too expensive for a production gun. That was also the reason why none of the guns are chrome plated like the earlier gun. The greystone and chrome receivers need to be polished perfectly to get the final result.

I've checked with a few companies that have done the new crazy rainbow nitriding you see on a few handguns. They told me they only do it for manufacturers...larger quantities.

9. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

Thanks Guys, looks like CeraKote is my only option..
    Cory

10. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

You might look around in your city to see if there are any coating shops. You might find that there is a small shop that specializes in nitride coatings or specialty coatings like that.

We have lots of those places in San Diego and up here in San Luis Obispo. They are just not something that advertise on TV. Look in your local yellow pages and make a few calls. You can even call some of your high end machine shops in town to see who they use to coat parts.

I used to work as a Mechanical Engineer early in my career and I had numerous projects where I needed a part to be just a tad harder, or a bit tougher, so I found a shop in town that could put a carbide or a nitride hardening on a part. Just a bit of free advice.

11. turmite

turmite Member

GunDr did you happen to hit the link and read the info there?

Greystone, Inc.
    7992 Richmond Road
    Toano, VA 23168
    USA

Phone: 757-566-8070

Products & Services:

With TS16949 Certified facilities in Virginia and Rhode Island, Greystone offers Hard Chrome, Hard Anodizing, Zinc and Zinc-Iron Plating, Electroless Nickel, Decorative Nickel Chrome, Watts Nickel, Nickel Sulfamate, Chemical Deburring, Electropolishing, Heat Treating, Passivating and Manganese Phosphate.

Greystone is a world class high volume precision plater that focuses on superior responsiveness and customer service.

Specializing in high volume precision plating, Greystone is an industry leader in the automation of rack plating and a pioneer in the development of customer specific plating processes. Greystone has received several compliance awards from government agencies. In-house laboratories and state of the art inspection equipment ensure customer satisfaction.

Processes Provided:

Hard Chrome
    Hard Anodizing
    Zinc Plating
    Barrel Plating
    Rack: Automated & Manual
    Hex-Free (Trivalent) Chromate Colors - Clear, Black, Yellow
    Hexavalent Chromate Colors - Yellow, Bronze, Olive
    Electroless Nickel
    Rack
    Barrel
    Mid & High Phosphorus
    Low Phosphorus Available On Request
    Decorative Nickel Chrome
    Watts Nickel
    Nickel Sulfamate - Tensil & Compressive
    Chemical Deburring - Carbon Steels
    Electropolishing - Stainless, Brass & Other Alloys
    Heat Treating
    Zinc-Iron Plating
    Barrel Plating
    Rack: Automated & Manual
    Hex-Free (trivalent) Chromate Colors - Clear, Yellow
    Hexavalent Chromate Colors - Yellow, Black, Olive
    Zinc Chloride Available For Castings
    Passivating
    Manganese Phosphate
    Other Services
    Automation/ Assembly
    Consulting Services
    Annealing
    Support Customer Lean
    Manufacturing Requirements
    Blasting
    Teflon
    Dry Film Lubricants
    Over 100 years combined plating experience at each location.

Industries Served:

Medical
    Automotive
    Industrial
    Aerospace
    Electronics
    Defense
    For more information on Greystone Inc, please click on Greystone Overview.

For more information on firearms finishing, please click on Complete Firearms Finishing.

Please visit our website at www.greyst.com or you can also visit www.platingjournal.com which is a good site to see more areas where we have specific technical expertise.

Mike

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

"Specializing in high volume precision plating, Greystone is an industry leader in the automation of rack plating and a pioneer in the development of customer specific plating processes."

Everything they list is a plating service. I don't believe Beretta's process is a plating...I might give them a call anyway.

Doug

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I tried to find out what the greystone finish was, once, without success. I wanted to plate both of my shooters with it.

I don't like the "coin" finishes. I wanted a darker hue to my receivers' plating. I happened to see some of the gun's Tony DeSimone had done and liked the look, which is grayer ... not as gray as the greystone but still very attractive. Tony did all the preparation work and finished the metal so that the surface would be 'Matted". I am very pleased with both the appearance and durability and have grown to like it better than the greystone. Good luck.

14. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

Had the wife's Ljutic done in two tone CeraKote. Really nice. GaryL.
    [​IMG]

15. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I bought a 682 Gold in 96 or so with the Greystone finish. At the time, I remember it being called Titanium Nitride or Nitrate finish. I always regreted selling that gun.

16. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

I found a company here in Lakeside Ca that does a form of Titanium Nitrade called SLP, TN is Gold in color and the TN/SLP process changes the color to the Greystone color I was looking for. I am going there to pick up samples and will keep all of you informed. Cory

[​IMG]

17. Gamba Man

Gamba Man Active Member

Costs $ for a receiver ?

18. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

I will get pricing tomorrow and update thread. Cory

Swadehead thanked this.
  19. CMPeterson

CMPeterson Member

The cost is $300.00 minimum, but he said you can get approx 4 pieces done and still be under the minimum approx. $66.00 per piece, I am going to have 2 receivers and 2 forend iron pieces so it will still be the $300.00 minimum but that sounds like a deal to me, also I found another variation they have called TiCN, almost a perfect match to Greystone! I will take a good picture of the sample and upload later. Cory

Swadehead thanked this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cerakote oven

cerakote stone grey

greystone plating gun
nickel and carbon suppliers ca va 23221