Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Want Pistol Advice Please

5K views 40 replies 29 participants last post by  Buddy O 
#1 ·
Mike,

I like a .45 over the .40, so for your question, I'd work on the Para ord if it were a choice between the 4013 and the 1245. I usually prefer a different gun and caliber myself, but it's more a matter of personal preference and what you can shoot well and carry conveniently. There is really nothing wrong with the .44, except that it will only carry five shots without the need to reload. Many people will tell you that the fight is decided by the time the first two shots are fired. I like to have a bit more to back me up. To that effect, I will sometimes carry two guns. :) Less in the way of decisions and just a matter of which gun is in your hand and in battery first.

#3 ·
They are a littl blocky but the Glock 39 gives you the .45 GAP in a smaller package than the ACP guns. Carry a spare mag for a model 38 so you have more rounds. I'm just not all that impressed with the results of the .40's in shootings so I think .45 GAP seems to have a slight edge. Haven't had a chance to do the gel block for comparison yet. In the shootings that I'm familiar with here, the 40 has really not performed all that well for all the hype.
Been carrying Glocks for many years and it's the one I go back to all the time. Easy to run, few buttons to deal with and works every time but it's completely box stock. If you want a Glock to stop working, put aftermarket crap on it and it'll likely fail. The only change is to some sort of all steel sight set.

#4 ·
Dear Mike

As one who trains with and for Law Enforcement, trust me, the 40 is plenty. Using the 165 gr Remington Golden Sabre is the way to go.

I would get the mag disconnect on the Smith fixed. I prefer the Glock over most semi autos for carry. The G-23 with the 165gr Golden Sabre is hard to beat.

As an elite shooter, you already know to keep your finger off the trigger until it is time to shoot (Off target, off trigger. On target, on trigger).

Also, you might want to look at this site about the 165 gr GS. When tested by the Intl' Wound Ballistics Assoc, it is the ONLY round to get an "OPTIMUM" rating in both lightly dressed and heavily dressed applications.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/40sw/rem40-165gs-g27.htm

BTW, almost ALL the 45 ammo tested failed to expand and completely penetrated the ballistic gelatin on the denim test. The fact is, there has been a ton of money spent on developing the 40 for Law Enforcement. Why not take advantage of this?

#5 ·
Mike,

Obviously, I have carried a great many hand guns. For a long time I thought the 16 rounds of 9mm in a 92f was the greatest. For the last 10 years I have carried a .40 cal Beretta Cougar. The fit of the gun in my hand is very unique. The .40 is plenty and if you can't get it done with 11 rounds...

Look at the Stoeger Cougar for fit...you can get in .45 if you need it.

JON

#6 ·
Sir Big Bore, you say - "100% dependability a must.." and that has always been spelled "revolver" to me. However, I'm another big fan of the .45ACP but have found it's getting heavier and bulkier each year I advance. My last duty had me packing the Glock 23 in .40 S&W concealed and I must admit I was just about as confident and comfortable with that as with any other choice even though I never owned one of my own. Lots of luck with your quandary....breakemall....Bob Dodd

#9 ·
Mike,

I was facing the same question a couple of years ago and went to the local indoor range where I could shoot their loaner guns.

Many robberies are by multiple intruders, maybe too many for a 5 shot gun. They will probably have guns too, but likely will not be trained on using them, but they will have a lot of bullets.

I went with the Sig 229 for smaller size (similar to Glock 23) in 40 cal with night sights. It fit my hand the best of the pistols. Hollowpoint ammo and a big magazine and frequent trips to the range.

Good luck with your decision,

Don

#11 ·
You might want to check out the Smith & Wesson M&P 40. I just fired a few hundred rounds through one and I was impressed. I am a full on 1911 guy. I have a Kimber 1911 TLE II and i love that gun allot but it is a little big to carry. Just see what you think about the S&W I think you wil like it.

-m

#12 ·
With almost a dozen "carry " guns at my disposal I have gravitated to three I use exclusively depending on the weather, clothes I am wearing, and environment I expect to be in.

Seecamp 32
Kahr 9mm with spare mags (one on me, one in the house, one in the car, one in the office) - I use it the most.
Springfield XD in 45 with a spare mag. in the house. - I never carry a spare mag for it.

The XD will hold 14 shots and I use the Remmy 230 gr Golden Sabers in it. I believe it would be a good choice for your needs. Lots of firepower and not too bulky to carry with the right clothes.

I use only long pull triggers for carry. I learned that a short crisp trigger is not appropriate when you are pumped with adrenaline and close to pissing yourself.

Don

#13 ·
I recently went through the same debate myself. After shooting several friends weapons, I went with the XD in .40; it fit my hand and, although feel is subjective, the XD “feels” better than a G23 - in my hands. BTW: 9(+1) and 12(+1) mags come standard in the sub-compact; add one each for the compact. I got the sub-compact but am considering getting the 4” also. Good luck in your search.

#15 ·
Don't forget, the small 45's are more likely to jam in a pinch, when you are loaded on adrenaline, and your fine motor skills are GONE.

Single row magazine guns will run out of fuel in a hurry. Just take or watch a tactical class. I like no less than a dozen rounds in the gun and at LEAST one extra mag. If you wait until slide lock to think about reloading your gun, you will be in a WORLD of hurt.

Guess what. At this time in your life, you will be least able to clear a stoppage. Adrenaline dump and loss of fine motor skills. Also, your cognitive brain will go away and your reactive brain will take over. This is Read Only Memory.

If you have not downloaded proper, aggressive, and recent training into your reactive brain, you will likely not perform properly,(if at all) in a lethal confrontation.

I prefer a G-19 for a self loading carry arm, but the G-23 is the gold standard. The 9X19 gives me 2 extra rounds in the gun.

#16 ·
I'd look at the Glock Model 35...its full-sized in .40S&W...not for concealment, but very reliable and with a factory-tuned trigger. All glocks take a little getting used to, especially for 1911 afficianados, but they are about as reliable as they come, and are quite accurate. Further while on the first round the trigger pull is a bit heavy, the follow-up rounds, if you are trained, are quite quick.

#17 ·
I would say 45, 40, "357" sig ( If its good enough for the secret service) what else do you need to know. I feel the most important factor is a Crimson Trace available--it will give you the edge, also think about DA vs SA, unless you're a LEO who constantly trains with a hand gun, go for the DA---Lou

#18 ·
PBB, sounds like you have a much better idea as to what you want in a pistol than the average shooter.

I’m a big fan of the Sig pistols, but I also have 1911’s from Jim Garthwaite and Evolution Gun Works. This might be where you want to go...

Send them one of your existent 1911’s and have it tuned for reliability and concealability. This way you stay with something you are familiar with, but have had it tuned for the 100% reliability you are after.

It can be pricey, but it is worth it.

Jim Garthwaite also marries a Commander slide to the full sized frame - WOW! (this is what I have).

If interested, let me know and I'll snap some photos for you.

http://www.garthwaite.com

http://www.egw-guns.com

David D

#19 ·
I had 3 guns in my carry round up. 1 S&W 4013TSW before tatctical rail series, 2. S&W hammerless 38 special 3. S&W 1911 full size. I have found that the 4013 is the winner. It fits well inside the waste band, My hand seems to get to it quickly, and I shoot it the best. I also like the DA/SA set up. The 38 gets the nod if concealment is a issue. I carry it in pocket or ankle. I really like my 1911, but it is big and even the mags are a bit hard to conceal. Although when the weather stays on the cool side I will carry the 1911 under my sport coat. 80% of the time I carry the 4013 with a extra mag. The 38 I find a bit tough to get a good grip on quickly.

#20 ·
Zarathrusta,

The Beretta 380 is OK - a bit large by the new standards (Think Kel-Tek or the new Ruger). They can be rather hard to find (demand has always been high) - with the new smaller ones coming out this might change.

The Kel-Tek comes in 9mm too...

David D

#23 ·
I think the Glock 30 fits the bill. 10 shots, light, no ackward safety to mess with. Advantage Arms makes a .22 conversion kit for about $250, it shoots well and quite accurate, Cheap practice. The 30 is a little snarly being small and light, but you can't have small size,light weight and light recoil at the same time. I don't like a lot of the autos that have a safety you have to push up with your thumb. A lot of them are small and work hard. Other than Glock I would choose 1911 style .45

#24 ·
Mike,

I don't think you'll be sorry. The best part is that you would have confidence in the gun. You also have the same problem with sights that I do. It's part of the aging process. A really good Opthalmologist might make a difference in that regard. I prefer a smaller firearm and a different caliber, but I would have no problem with your choice. The right ammo and some practice is all you will need to add.

Shoot Well!

#25 ·
I'm with Don Verna, the XD is a nice piece. My choice is this only in a 9mm with 2, 16 round clips and Trijicon night sights. The gun fits nice in my hand, like a glove.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Guns/?action=view¤t=9mmXDpistol.gif" target="_blank">
</a>

JMHO.... Jerbear

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.