1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

want higher scores, shoot in same clothing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    over the years, I have known shooters who basically shoot in the same clothing. Some are superstitcious, some strongly believe that diiferent shooting shirts, different shooting sweaters and vest actually change their sight picture when mounting the gun.

The wierdest thing I ever saw was when a guy shot the Wisconsin state singles championship in a Bob Allen winter coat in the month of July??? I asked him if he was cold, and he laughed and said I just can't shoot good scores without shooting in this coat?

I did not see his name on the list winning scores, nor did I hear if he collasped fron heat exhaustion either.

Do you believe that shooting in different clothing changes your sight picture resulting in poor scores? Do you usually shoot in the same clothing? Are you supersticious to change shooting clothing, or do you feel there is validity to shooting in the same clothing?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Don't know for sure Steve, but I do know I've never seen "The Literalist" shoot in the same tutu on consecutive days.

Which tells me he must have a closet full of them. LOL

Hauxfan!

3. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

Hauxfan,
    Is it true Denny sometimes shoots in a leopard skin, similar to what Tarzan wore? Scott

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Steve, I believe this to be a serious question, not from the standpoint of wearing exactly the same clothing, for superstitious reasons; but the same layers in combination, to achieve a uniform thickness, which definitely impacts LOP. I wear a variety of shirts w/wo pads as well as shooting jackets in various combinations to achieve a consistent thickness in the shoulder area.

best...mike

5. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I think this is why I shoot in a vest. Changes in clothing are less noticeable. Ron

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Here's a tip regarding clothing that is guaranteed to help...

Turn your underwear around 180ยบ(briefs). It helps you keep a upright stance and to swing from your knees.

7. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

This gent must take the clothing, or lack thereof VERY seriously!

Guy B.

[​IMG]

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Weight loss (or gain) also enters into the equation. Never mind the butt crack quotient. ;-)

9. senior smoke

Mike:
    I am very serious.
    Steve

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    So the old trapshooter who always wore his "lucky shirt" was really on to something?

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Depends??

12. senior smoke

I do believe that consistency in shooting attire can only help. With one target meaning the difference between winning or losing a tournament, why take a chance?
    Steve

13. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Shannon391, I have never tried Depends! Do they help improve scores, if so I am willing to try them. Do you wear pants over them, or is it acceptable to just wear them by themselves?

14. rdf59

rdf59 Member

In the mountains in NC and GA in winter, I have two types of outfits. A Browning winter coat with shell pockets and not too bulky. I will wear various layers underneath as our temps vary from 25-40 with wind (esp in mountains).

In summer I wear light clothing and a light mesh vest.

I change recoil pads for the season. I shoot a CG Trap combo and find that the diffedrent lengths of recoil pads will make my relationship with the gun fairly consistant.

15. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I have a "lucky" shirt that I started wearing in the early 70s and wore it for 15-20 years even though the pattern on the right shoulder has disappeared from so much recoil. I broke a lot of 100s with that shirt but it's a little small for me now. Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.