1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want help on stock semi refinish

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fishnmagician, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fishnmagician

fishnmagician Member

Purchased a late 1990's BT-99 that the previous owner (I suppose) sanded down the comb but did not put the finish back on it. What can I use to refinsh the comb that will somewhat match the glossy finish on it? Any help would be appreciated.
    Jack

2. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

You will almost have to strip the whole thing to make it look good then use a two part material to get the high gloss and durability you would need

3. fishnmagician

fishnmagician Member

4. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Try to find a stain that is close and then spray a few coats of automative clear coat. That would be a two part finish Catpower is alluding to. A "somewhat match" is all you can hope for. A BT is a pain to strip , don't do it, besides, Browning works magic on cheap wood that's hard to replicate.

5. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

I have repaired and made stocks on Browning gun before. I have found a drop of black paint in my clear coat will match in about 3 coats, Brownings with a dark tint. If it has a brown tint I use a drop of brown. I also use a 2 part automotive finish. If you are not set up to spray this type of finish you may want to hire it done. IMO thanks Ronnie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.