1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Want a new gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by winchesterkid, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

I have $5000 to spend max. I have narrowed my choices to the following. KX-5, Guerini Summit unsingle, and Beretta 682 Gold E Combo(unsingle). I have never shot doubles. What gun would you buy and Why? Other than that you can shoot doubles with the 682. I have also found a KX-5 with a R.A.D system installed at about $1000 less than a new one. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have a very clean, great shooting, dependable Beretta DT 10 unsingle I will ship to your FFL for $5000.00. You can't beat the DT 10.

Jon Schorle
    Sacramento, CA

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

KX5 is one heckuva a mid single firearm and comes loaded with all the benefits of the Krieghoff heritage...

regards all,

Jay

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Remember this, the item is only as good as where and when you can get service and parts. If your gun dosen't have a gunsmith at shoots or your area to work on it then its not a good gun. If parts are not available then the gun is not a good gun. Browning, Beretta and Kreighoff always have gunsmiths at shoots and parts are available.

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You'll NEVER win HOA if you don't shoot doubles.. Your $5000 is certainly enough to get a nice..older MX8 combo set.. It will take you to the top of your game.. Easily repaired..extra barrels easily obtained and fitted..

Worst case is get a good MX8 SBT... and add a nice set of O/U barrels a little later..

Just a few weeks ago.. I looked for a gun for Father Dan.. He bought a very nice MX-8 for $2900 O/U... ready to go.. cat3.. I advised him to keep his TM-1 for singles.. and now he's good to go...

I'd put a billboard ad up here for what you really want. Auctioneer gave you good advice.. but I'd have added Perazzi to the list.. I find it the easiest gun to work on.. once you know what you're doing.. If you get to the GRAND.. come by Giacomo's.. I'll show you the in's and outs of a Perazzi..and why its my gun of choice.. I'd also look at a K-32/K-80.. and a Beretta 682..

Don't under estimate a nice Browning Combo too.. Shoot them all before you lay down $5000.. All Good.. Mike

6. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

I have eliminated the Guerini. I am now down to the KX-5 and the 682 Gold E. I may never shoot doubles due to costs, I have a son that shoots also. I am a B class singles shooter who would probaly never compete for a HOA anyway. Handicap is my favorite event to shoot. I plan to shoot both to try out. Thanks for the comments.

7. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you rule out the CG?

8. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would NOT rule out the Browning BT99 or BT100 OR a single barrel Perazzi.. Shoot them all..

9. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

I like the CG, but I hear of some problems with the service people are getting.

10. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have a Browning cynergy combo 32-34 with hard case,near new condition with around 2-3 hundred shots fired,not broke in yet. With all the modern technologies. All factory original. Wood is better than average. $3495. Save the $1505. for shooting expenses. I can send you pictures.
    Clyde Doll

11. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Get a CG O/U and call it a day. You can shoot singles and get use to the gun. Then shoot doubles with the same gun. I have one and you can't go wrong witha CG.

12. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

You cannot beat the reliability of a ljutic, and there's many for under 5 grand in excellent condition. But why don't you get a gun that you want instead of a gun that you had to get because you couldn't afford it. Save-save-save and get the gun you like.

By the way, what do you shoot now?

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

$5K? I'd call Giacomo and tell him you need a prime setup for singles and doubles.

Maybe a nice MX-3 special combo could travel your way. It will probably never be worth less than you pay for it. And, will always be top drawer and simple repairs if needed.

My advice,

Jim Chapman

Hell, Michigan.

14. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

You are getting alot of advice here. Just another thought RESALE buy what you can resell and get your money back! DT 10 is a good option so is the 682, my son has a CG and will never buy another. Just some thoughts. Regards, Bill

15. winchesterkid

winchesterkid Member

currently shoot a BT-99 Plus

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have never heard of a service problem with CG.. Most people go on and on about the great CG service..

17. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

18. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Hey Mr. Grill,
    Just wondering, whats the problem with your sons CG?
    D.P.Reynolds

19. Tony Fortino

Tony Fortino Member

If i were you I would go with one of the Caesar Guerini models. Top or bottom single or the new impact?

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Buy the MX3 Special Combo that is for sale on this site for $4600 and don't look back! Best of both worlds in a single and as a O/U. Buy the best you can get for your money...... Just my opinion.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.