1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WANDA shot shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ntgr8, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Picked up a box of junk shooting related stuff at a garage sale. Found some empty shells marked Wanda. Case is all plastic(lexan) some were 3 3/4 -1 1/4 #6 others were 2 3/4 1 1/8 #7 1/2. Hunting loads and trap loads. Red for 12 ga, Also some green 20 ga. Also 12 Ga blue color same material with a Herters head stamp. Another type had a Herters head stamp but are a softer, ribbed, solid green material with a disk type top wad. The Wanda case is almost clear, you could easily see the shot,wad and powder, the Herters case is thick plastic, about as thick as a paper case. These are all plastic except for the primer, they don't have the metal in the rim like Activ did. I'm an old timer and I don't remember these, any of you older timers remember???

2. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Yes, shot some in the 60s, had an overshot (top) wad-- they didn't last too long as they used different wads and you had to keep buying those overshot wads. If I remember correctly they didn't have a very long re-loading life. They did seem to shoot just fine. Ross Puls

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Only around a few years. I beleive they were made in Texas. I shot some at The Grand back in the late '60s. I can't remember, but I think they may have been given away by the mfgr. not available at the shell house. You could buy wads and reload them but not many did.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

It's been a while so I wouldn't bet serious cash. However, I think the few 12 ga. target loads I saw were very pale green.

sissy

5. pfofml

pfofml Member

Some where I have a full box of the same. Not sure as to its load, but, as I recollect their color is brownish red. Herters also tried to get into the shotshell market using a green, plastic, case. No idea when these were on the market.
    Peter

6. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Wanda shells were made by John Hall, Texas shooter. Named after his wife.

Roy

7. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The problem with WANDA'S is that they had no metal support in the rim (just plastic). Many shotguns would take a "bite" out of the plastic rim and not extract/eject the WANDA cases. Had this happen with an otherwise very reliable 870 shooting doves. Have red, yellow and blue 12 gauges. Green, yellow and clear 20 gauges. Also picked up a new 16 gauge WANDA box. Ironically, 16 gauge loaded WANDA shells were never manufactured. There were several other color WANDA cases made on an experimental basis but never put in production. I have three loaded shells with each one having one of the company founders names in the load (probably custom loads for the owners). Herter's loads were very similar. People would be surprised how many companies made so called "All Plastic" shotgun shells.

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

I actually used these Wanda 12 Ga and reloaded them. I would retrieve the top wads and was able to use them over a number of times. The one thing that you had to be careful of was that some powders either deteriorated the shell or maybe the shell deteriorated the powder but it was recommended Not to use the shell with those powder right on the shell box.

The other thing was that the spring back of the case was very good and my 1400 that I was using would sail these empties about 20 feet away. There was no friction when being extracted.

I will have to see if I can find the box I saved and if I can, I will try to put a picture or two of them on line.

9. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

There you go.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They are cool looking. Guess i need to find one of them for my collection.

11. jandbburch

jandbburch Member

The previous replies to this post pretty well explained it all. Wanda was not in business for long, but had a wide variety of loads in 12 and 20 gauge. I have around 25 boxes in my collection. All of the 12 gauge are red. All of the target and light field load 20 gauge are green, and the heavy 20 gauge loads were yellow. I actually have two boxes of 20 gauge loaded with #2 shot! Herter's also made this type of shell with a dark blue hull (have a few boxes of those as well) and a translucent green hull with spin off wads and the green hull with an 8 point crimp as well. Tri-test also made an all plastic (red) shell for a short time. These look exactly the same as the Wanda. Then there were the other "no-brass" shells including the original Winchester Gun Club, Eclipse, and more recently the Activ's. Seems that they just never really caught on.......Jim

12. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got a case of the green Herters hulls unfired and a bunch of the blue see thru ones. I'll sell the green ones with the spin off wads if anyone is interested. Will also sell the blue ones and you can load up your own display rounds if you want a couple. JW

13. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

hiram bradley used to shoot a bunch of them. I believe he may have set a long run record with them but not sure. I have a couple of them and i just keep them for conversation?? motordoc

14. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Lets try some pictures of Wanda shells

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

Plastic Wanda shells make very good snap caps. Deprime them and fill the primer hole with Silicone sealant. I have some red see thru plastic ones that work very well .

16. JPM

JPM Member

Wanda Shotshells were promoted by John Hall, but the man behind the product was Nick Morrow who owned Wanda Petroleum. Wanda Petroleum was named for Nick's first wife. Nick was a well known and well liked "character" in the oil boom days in Houston.

17. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Anyone interested in a full factory new box of 20ga. Wandas with either #9 shot (green) or #2 shot (yellow) mail me your check in the amount of $22 and I will mail to your address. Note: if a box of each is wanted, the second box is $18 addditional.

The green ones look just like the picture above from Big Heap. The yellow #2's are easier to see inside.

Please keep in mind that the Christmas package crunch is not far away so be patient with the Post Office. They will be mailed the day after your check arrives except for the weekend.

These are unhandled and come straight out of the original case of 20. These are 25 shells to the box.

A PM letting me know in advance that you are sending a check would be appreciated.

Neal Crausbay
    1211 McCaulley
    Sweetwater, TX 79556

18. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Several boxes of the green #9 shot left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
herters shotgun shells for sale
looking for wanda 12ga shotgun shells

wanda 12 gauge shotgun shells

wanda 20 guage shell sale

wanda shells

wanda shotgun shells

wanda shotgun shells for sale

wanda shotshells