1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wanda plastic ammunition!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by traedawg, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

I have a box of Wanda Total Plastic Ammunition. The box has 4 unopened boxes of 25 shells. I was wondering what they are worth? Thanks Tanner
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If I remember correctly Wanda was the very first all plastic shell. Someone out there must want them.

3. NintyT

NintyT Member

I'd like to have a box of 25. I have several never loaded casings, and the plastic caps, and good condition boxes, but no loaded shells. I know my box and empties are not worth much. Tell me your price for a single box, if you'll break them up. Steve j

4. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

These shells are not loaded. They are just the plastic hull.

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Hiram Bradley was a rep for Wanda Shells I had some factory loaded ones but cannot for the life of me find them.

I heard someone had a liquid propellant for them. That was in the 70s.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. Kerry

Kerry TS Member

I have a box of loaded, unfired Wanda shells, but I believe that one shell is missing. I might be interested in selling them for the right price.

7. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

A John Hall product! Jimmy Borum

8. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I have a few boxes of them that are loaded, PM me an offer if you want them.z

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jimmy, Didn't Herter's sell the same shells under their banner? I didn't know that John Hall made them.

10. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

I'm getting pretty old but, if I remember correctly, John made the hulls in his injection molding business and had a bunch of (careful of political correctness)"foreign" ladies load them on a bunch of PW loaders. John later, and disastrously, loaded and sold some paper shells with left over ingredients. There was once a Wanda Oil Company in Houston and I believe it was in John's in-law family but I might be wrong about that. Both of these instances come from second hand info. You could ask him about them at the Grand this year as he is being inducted into our Hall of Fame. If you have never met John, do so if you get a chance. I believe he could have made a living as a stand up comic. Jimmy Borum

11. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Wanda shotgun shells were not the first "all plastic" shotgun shells made but were probably the first widely sold and used all plastic shot shells in the USA. I used to pick up all plastic individual shells and full boxes back in the late 1970's and early 1980's. I think there were three principal investors in Wanda. I have three individual Wanda shells with a strip of paper in each of them with each of their first names that were apparently loaded especially for their use. Herter's shells look a whole lot like the Wanda's but I don't know if Wanda loaded them or not. Wanda's main problems were the unsupported all plastic rims that caused extraction/ejection problems in usually reliable guns. Several all plastic loads were made for Industrial applications by other companies. I believe Remington did some of this. Winchester made several all-plastic shot shells, particularly in other countries (Italy, etc.). Other brands of all plastic shotgun shells that I can remember off-hand were Greener, CarPlast (a lot like Wanda), G & H from the midwest (made by the decoy company???), and Robjn. There were several more brands.

DoubleAuto

12. Landshark

Landshark Member

I have a couple of 20 gauge green Wanda shells and the matching box. Pretty neat looking shells.

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

For those who may have never seen either the Herter's or Wanda all plastic here is a loaded Wanda (the red one) and a new unprimed Herter's hull (the green one). Both 12 gauge.

[​IMG]

14. traedawg

traedawg TS Member

How do you load them?

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

traedawg

Pretty much the same way most shells were loaded 35 or so years ago. The Wanda has an air-wedge wad on top of the powder with a fiber filler wad on top of that. The black wad you see on top of the shot is about 3/8 inches high around the perimeter with a cone shaped center. It is a special wad that was made for the wanda shells. The rim of the mouth is crimped over the wad to hold it in place. May very well ad a new meaning to "open pattern".

16. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

I have several empty Wanda shells that I deprimed amd filled the primer hole with black silicone. They make good snap caps.

17. f18

f18 Member

I have alot of wandas and shell boxs, but mine are all green
    mick

18. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Years ago, we used to reload wandas. We could not get the over shot wad so we used an old Thalson loader to start a star crimp and final crimp. 3 3/4, 1 1/4 load. Finished shell was a little over 2 1/2". Could get 3 in the mag tube instead of 2. Seemed to shoot just fine but the whole crimp blew off. We weren't too bright back then. Had no idea about pressures. Bill Hom

19. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

At least with these no one could claim the shell didnt have any shot in it..

20. Harley Lekvold

Harley Lekvold TS Supporters TS Supporters

Another all plastic hull was made by Eclipse Cartridge, Inc from Saugus, Ca. They came in four colors, Red, Green, Orange and a few Brown. The color indicated what the factory shell was loaded with. Green was #8 2 3/4 Dr Eq, Orange was #8 3 Dr Eq, and Red was # 7 1/2 3 Dr Eq. I don't remember what the brown ones were loaded with, as it is not on the boxes. I still have some hulls and over 4,000 wads.
    The wads came in a box of a 1,000. The hulls were very tapered, so you had to use Eclipse wads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
molding all plastic shot shells
plastic vintage shot shells
vintage wanda shotgun shells
wanda shotgun shell

wanda shotgun shells

wanda shotgun shells for sale
wanda shotshells
wonda shotgun shells pic