1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walther PPK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by XTFreak, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XTFreak

XTFreak TS Member

Just got my concealed carry permit ... thinking PPK/S in .380 as carry gun.

I am not a Glock fan as I can't stand the appearance and the lack of a traditional safety/decocker doesn't sit well with me.

Any opinions from other carry permit holders?

2. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I carry one in .32. I like the double action.My daughter carries one also in .380. Bulge.

3. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

I carry a Colt Pony, but the Walther is an outstanding weapon.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

4. Luckyman

Luckyman Active Member

I own one but prefer my Sig P239 in .40 caliber....Not that much larger in size with DOA functionallity as well...The .40 cal is a much better round that the .380....Also the P239 was designed by Sig for off duty carry Law Enforcement and Homeland Security Officers....

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I like my Walthers. I just think the .380 is a little light for serious social work. If you feel the .380 is adequate, then the Walther is a good choice for the caliber. I'd rather have "at least" a 9MM.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

PPK is a real classic. Time proving design with James Bond legacy.

However I suggest you take a look at the other end of the Spectrum, The brand new PPS in 9 mm. It's about the same size as PPK. It's totally NOT a Glock feeling/look gun for CCW.

Here're the dimensions:

PPK: 6.1"x3.8"x0.98" 20.8 oz. 6 rounds of 380 ACP.

PPS: 6.3"x4.4"x0.91" 19.4 oz. 9 rounds of 9 mm.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

My wife has a PPK/S .380 and handles it well. She took out a porcupine a couple of weeks ago. It's too small for my hands but fits her perfect.

Doug

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

In that size range, I would go with a small frame 2" barrel revolver. Look at the Ruger LCR for example. More reliable and easier to operate than the PPK plus a bit more power with the right ammo.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I carried a Walther PPK/S for years, great for carry but not big enough for my hand so I switched to Glock and like the power of the 9MM a lot more than I did the .380 ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The things to consider for a concealed carry gun is 1. Size 2. Power 3. Weight

I had a PPK/s and it fits two of the three (1&2) but it is too heavy.

I went with a S&W .38 aluminum frame revolver. It is rated for +P ammo and is very light. I can carry it in my front pocket and it conceals well. It has 5 sure shots. Price is about the same as the PPK.

Good luck! Bob

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Just made the switch to the Ruger LCR from PPK. primarily for pocket conceal. If you buy a PPK make sure that the recall service has been done, decock malfunction.

Don

12. RV4driver

RV4driver TS Member

I've carried a S&W J frame for a while before I got my PPS. The J frame is more concealable. It's also harder to shoot accurately, and didn't "point" naturally at all. Those with years of J frame use will say otherwise. The PPS is not nearly as concealable as the P22 which is very close to the new Walther PK380. I know, I've carried both the P22 and the PPS. To say the PPS is good for 9 rounds of 9mm disregards the fact that the shortest (most concealable) magazine is only 6+1. Think about it, it's a single stack mag, to get 9 rounds, the overall height is BIG. The longer mags are obviously less concealable. The J frame disappeared on my ankle, the PPS a little less more so. Pocket carry the J frame is fine, the PPS not so much, unless in a rear pocket with a cover garment.

As to the PPK/S, it's MUCH more concealable than the PPS. It's more than just dimensions, trust me. However, it's HEAVY for the benefit. It's at best a .380.
    I've always wanted a PPK. I still do. But if I had one, I most likely would carry something else.
    That's just me. Hey, on the weekends, and at night, I carry a 1911 commander bobtail. I just can't dress around it at work. Bummer.

Jeff

13. Loyac

Loyac Member

If you're partial to the .380, the Sig 232 is another excellent handgun. John

14. Old Fowler

Old Fowler TS Member

When I carry, it's the S&W J-frame 642 .38 +P; has a Crimson Trace laser grip. Hopefully will never have to be drawn from my belt except to place it back in the handgun safe box on the dresser.

Cliff

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I love PPK's, but the SIG/Sauer P-230 and P-232 are more modern guns with a better trigger pull.<br>
    <br>
    I sometimes carry a Walther PPK-L (Lightweight, aluminum frame) in 22 LR. Yes, I'm quite aware the 22 LR is very underpowered for defense, so it's usually a backup. It's real handy to carry in the woods in addition to a rifle or shotgun. There are times when a 22 comes in handy. This gun was made in 1964, and was banned from importation in 1968 because it didn't meet the points system to elevate it above the level of a cheap Saturday Night Special.<br>
    <br>
    My main carry guns are either a Walther P-5C (Compact) in 9mm, or a S&W Model 12 6-shot 2" in 38 Special. I have larger guns, and they come out when it's the season for heavy coats. Like a SIG/Sauer P-220 in 45 ACP.

16. Charles.F.Phillips

Charles.F.Phillips TS Member

Brian,

<i>"Like a SIG/Sauer P-220 in 45 ACP"</i>

Now you're talking! I have a Taurus PT-145 that's smaller than a 1911 and carries 11 rounds or .45 Auto - best part is that I have a Galco pocket holster and it really blends well in my baggier pants - I carry my Pony when the pants are more snug.

R/s,<br />
    Charlie

"The Dude abides..."

17. r_chappy

r_chappy Member

I carry S&W 1911Sc 45 Auto a true stopper.

18. RAScott

RAScott Member

I carry a pps in 9MM got the 8 round clip it fits my hand better and the 7 round clip is small enough to fit the small of your back. Fully concealed. pps comes in .40 But not in the peoples republic of MASS.
    Bob S

19. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My personal carry gun is a S&W 317 8 shot revolver with Aquilla Super Max---don't laugh because its a 22lr but the energy is 204 ft. lbs. It has a Crimson Trace. No recoil & I know I can put all 8 rds into an eyeball at 50'

This gun works

Phil Berkowitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.