1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walther P-22 Semi-Auto .22LR ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HSLDS, Mar 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I bought one for my son to use.

It is small and compact, yet it's accuracy is beyond what you would expect for a barrel of it's length.

I have the pistol with two barrels - One is 'standard,' one is elongated with a barrel weight. Both are a dream to shoot.

I tend to not clean it very often yet it still functions well.

Great little pistol.

I would check out the sight radius to see if you are comfortable with it - it will shoot, just do you like the short radius or not?

David D

2. Loyac

Loyac Member

Got one for my daughter a few months back. As HSLDS noted, it is VERY accurate. The ergonomics are superb. BUT, you have to keep it clean for it to feed flawlessly. John

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As others have said, extremely accurate. I've got alot of ammo through mine also and don't recall ever having a jam.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I dont know if I got a bad one but it is by far the most inaccurate auto loader I have ever owned

6 inch groups at 25 yards

it does not function with all 22 ammo

it looks cool but is a POS

I wrote about the problems and never received an answer

Gene

5. FalconSprint

FalconSprint TS Member

I have one, I shoot the long barrel most often. Mines excellent, very accurate and will shoot any ammo. Winchester Power Point H.P's are what it likes best though. I clean it every 2-300 rounds, no feeding problems.

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

When I shot conventional bullseye competition, I used a Ruger MK II bull barrel. I just picked up a new Browning Buck Mark 2 weeks ago, it is also very accurate. I actually tried a friends Walther at the range last wednesday. It was a pretty nice piece, easy to carry. It was a short barrel gun and the shorter sight radius was harder at the 50 ft target. The trigger did not snap crisply, but it was ok. Both have advantages, the Walther is easier to carry, the Buckmark is easier to score well on the 50 ft target.

7. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I don't own a P-22 so I won't comment on them but, I can't agree more than what Leo has said. The Ruger MK is worth buying in any of those similar models, mine will eat anything that is fed to it. My Browning Buck mark is my favorite to shoot over any of my handguns. My wife and kids are great with it also. It's a gun that I suggest everyone could or should own.

8. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I shot a short barrel version at spinner targets. It seemed to shoot good, but I never shot it for grouping. I've had 9 different 22 pistols over the years. Sold everything except my single six and on my 9" Buckmark varmint. The Buckmark cycles everything, and shoots the best groups. I use a red dot for plinking and "vermin" and a 2-7 Leupold for squirrel season. Since the Buckmark has a mounting rail, it's no big deal to change optics.

9. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

My opinion of it is its a pos but do some research on the net and you will find out for yourself. Other peoples idea of accuracy must be much different from mine but I didn't expect much from it, the trigger pull is awful, trigger guard is small if you have large hands, but the worst is reliability especialy in this price range.

10. rifle guy

rifle guy TS Member

I cant say anything about its accuracy as I have only plinked with mine, but its reliability is better than any other 22 auto I have shot. It will eat almost all bulk 22 ammo and cycles it better than my buckmark,10/22,and 597. I have the short barrel and I prefer the clip that extends the grip.

Sawyer

11. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

Ok, I don't mind admitting when I'm wrong. The p22 I had was one of the earlier ones and was a complete pos, I still stick by my accuracy assesment but many gun writers state that hand sized groups at 10 feet are good, not my idea of accuracy. The above link is to a good fair review of the p22. I copied and pasted the last paragraph for those who dont want to read the whole 4 pages. One thing I have noticed on the net and actually around gun shows and shops as well is that some cheap guns seem to get a cult following where all you hear are great things about a gun you know is a pos but in this case it seems they fixed most of the problems. I'm still glad I sold mine and don't want another.

Overall the P22 is an excellent choice for a budget plinker. if extreme accuracy is waht you are looking for this pistol is not for you. You would be better off seeking a Browning, Ruger or Hammerli bull barrel target pistol instead. As a training tool it is invaluble as it allows alot of shooting on a budget. If you deicide to buy a P22 do your utmost to find a second generation model. They were made after Feburary 1, 2006 and all older models sent in for repair are upgraded. I was able to obtain an older model P22 for comparison and it proved to be a "jam-o-matic". I never made it through a full ten round magazine without a stoppage of some kind. When Walther upgraded the pistol they made a few subtle but important changes. They included changes to the feed ramp profile, changes to the hammer shape, and changes to the feed lips of the magazines.

12. BustClays

BustClays Member

I had one and wish I could remember what was querky about it. It may have been the safety being opposite what you would expect or it could have been the action not staying open after the last shot. Anyway, I got rid of mine in favor of a conversion for my .45 ACP. I never found the P22 to be very accurate, certainly not what I can get out of my Ruger MKII. It was a "plinker" (whatever the heck that is, range rules being what they are)at best but not a target gun. You would never know if it was you or the gun that was way off. I also found mine pretty fussy about ammo. Once I found the right stuff it was flawless. As I recall it needs to be hand cocked for the first shot, unlike its look alike the P99 which is double action with a great trigger.

bustclays

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.