1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walnut wood

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by mbrowncrt, Oct 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbrowncrt

mbrowncrt TS Member

0   0   0

I recently cut down a Black Walnut tree. I was wanting to know if this wood is worth anything? Any help would be appreciated!

2. revbook

revbook Member

0   0   0

Not worth much until it's cut and dried. Pretty much firewood until then. Sawmills won't deal with one tree. Try to locate someone with a portable sawmill to cut it for you, air dry it for a few years, hope the insects don't get to it and you might make a few bucks.

Don

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

0   0   0

Many years ago I had cut up an English Walnut tree and took it to an old farmer to cut it up on his saw mill in his barn. I painted the edges to prevent checking. and forgot all about it. About 6 years later a old gentleman friend said in passing that he was looking for some walnut to make a stock for his son. I showed him this wood and he flipped. I gave him his pick, begging me to take money I said NO. Being the good friend that he is and an excellent craftsmen. He made me the sweetest Banjo you'd ever lay your eyes on. Since that day I sold all 11 blanks for an ave. of $300.00. I presently have two trees being cut again. But they are years away from being near ready.

4. mbrowncrt

mbrowncrt TS Member

0   0   0

The tree is in good shape. It was removed because of where it was at not because of anything wrong with it. It is about two feet in diameter and the longest piece is about 10 feet long to the shortest about 4 feet long.

5. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

0   0   0

Right now walnut wood sales are quiet good , My friend is getting ready to harvet about 450 acres and most is sold already. A lot will go for veneer out of the burrels and then there is the block wood, the special wood will go in the drying blocks for stocks and mucical insterments, and flooring. So if you can get it sawed up might be worth something.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

0   0   0

revbook has explained the reality of it. One tree on the ground is worthless. You would have to pay to have it hauled off. It is a shame to see a good walnut tree go to waste.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.