1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walmart

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    For my son in law's birthday I purchased two 4 packs of Federal shells for $23.97 each from my local Walmart for him. After I gave him the shells I took him shooting and almost every shell would not fit in his 870.

I put them in my 870 and half of them were not sized correctly for my gun either. Obviously, we could have tight chambers but once we got home I used a MEC go no go gauge and almost every shell was not sized correctly according to the Mec gauge.

I have an old Mec resizer and placed each shell in the rezizer and they now fit perfectly in the Mec gauge as well as in our guns. These cheap shells have a steel base, I would think Federal has to know these shells are over sized.

Why wouldn't Federal make a change and resize these shells correctly? Any body know what's going on with these shells?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Banned User Banned

Mec has nothing to do with resizing factory shells....

3. senior smoke

I meant to say Federal instead of Mec, as I made a change to my original thread.
    Steve

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

You get what you pay for !!!!! As far as I see Federal has some quality control issues and it should have been picked up before they entered the food chain .

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Why is your subject WalMart and not Federal. Federal made the shells, not WalMart.

6. warren

warren Member

I think you should contact Federal, there must be a lot number or something to identify the shells to them, and tell them your problem. A responsible company would replace them or recompensate you in some way, it's not like they are new in the business.

warren

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sounds like those shells expanded beyond their elastic limit due to the low pressure created by the intellectual vacuum inside of Walmart.

8. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

When you have problem with a manufacturers product, the first contact is the manufacturer. If they don't take care of your problem, then raise the flag...

Surfer

9. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Banned User Banned

Fed . Is not going to do a thing since you modified those shells yourself, not too safety minded resizing a live shell....

10. senior smoke

The shells will work fine now after resizing them. I should have purchased quality shells but tried to save a buck. You live and learn. I have heard from other shooters that this is pretty common with steel base Federal loads. I have no idea why, but I will not purchase them again as I have a large supply of reloads on hand.
    Steve

11. MX-10RS

MX-10RS TS Member

Steve - Do you not have a good relationship with your Son-in-law? I don't know why you wouldn't buy him quality shells for his birthday. Perhaps you could have just thrown a couple hundred reloads in a bag and taped a bow to it.

12. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

There's not a thing wrong with steel head shells, some are better than others. The industry has produced them on and off going back into the fifties, maybe longer.

As I said earlier, anytime you have problem with a manufactured product, your first stop are the people who made the item. When contacting them you should have all the information in hand i.e. product and model numbers, code dates if shown. Having information in hand speeds up the process of resolution. Never second guess how the manufacture will handle your situation as all situations differ. No one can speak for the manufacturers products and how thay handle problems except the manufacture who produced the item.

I have said this until I'm blue, if you manufacture, you will have problems, its the fact of manufacturing. I have purchased plenty of so called premium shotshells that have had cocked wads and primers, tube separation from the base head and bloopers. It happens were not perfect, though you may think so.

Always call the factory first, they will handle your problem or send you where it will be handled

Surfer

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

If WalMart don't have it you proably don't need it ... Thanks for your Support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Steve, I've been shooting Wally World Federal's for the last 3 or 4 years and have never had a problem. I shoot em through my Parker on handicap and the 3200 in doubles. No problem.

I hate to hear this, I just hope it is an isolated case. Call Federal and have a box in your hand when you do this, so Lot # etc. is at hand.

Around here you can buy the Federal individual boxes for $5.47 while the 4 box case is $23.97. It is cheaper to buy the individual boxes.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have shot many Federal Walmarts with excellent results. Shot some at the Sparta Grand. My experience, the best of the economy shells? Just my 2 cents.
    Clyde

16. senior smoke

Years ago, when Federal first came out with the 12s3 wad they had a bad batch come into the area where I live. I purchased a 1,000 wads to try them and found they were either to long or to short as I can't really remember any longer.

I took the wads back to the place where I purchased them and they said they were told if you purchased any of these wads call Federal. I spoke to a nice guy in the PR department at Federal and gave him all the info and he sent me 5,000 12s3 wads delivered by ups.

I have always liked Federal papers or gold medals and I am sure these 4 packs are good shells, but they just didn't fit in our guns properly.
    Steve

17. jimctrap

jimctrap Member

I have shot thounds of wal mart federals never had a problem with them.
    jim

18. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

WPT,

If WalMart has it , they can keep it 'cause I don't want it!!!!

19. schneep

schneep Member

senior smoke, you must stay up nights making this #hit up

20. 2llc

2llc Well-Known Member

Its interesting to follow some of these topics. Its curious the path some of the responses take. Steve ask a pretty straight forward question. Some of the responses were on track, some were just a chance to criticize Steve and others went after Wal Mart.
    I probably would have followed the same path Steve did. Measure the loaded round to make sure it was an ammunition problem and not a gun issue. I would have resized with the collet and shot the ammo. I would have contacted Federal first though just to advise them. I have had an issue in the past with some Remington ammo..... they requested what I had left, sent a call tag, shipped me some new. I suspect Federal would have done the same.
    You did good Steve, have fun shooting.......... Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.