1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walmart- Special Order ammo?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever special ordered ammo through walmart before? It appears you used to be able to, but I don't know if you can any more. My most local one doesn't carry any AA or STS shells anymore, the win 4 packs are the closest thing they have to a target load. There are a couple more in the area that carry AA and STS, but they are all Super Sports and Nitros (I bought out all the Walmarts in about a 50 mile radius (didn't amount to but about 3 flats) a couple years ago when they were closing them out for $5/box, so mine were probably the last the shelves have seen LOL). I'm just curious as to how competitive they'd be with my regular supplier, esp using the $2/box rebate, on STS and AA 20s, 28s and 410s...

2. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

I have several times before but its been a few years ago. Best thing is I knew the sporting goods mgr and he would get me whatever I wanted and at a good price. Check your store and let them know as there is no reason why they shouldnt unless they dont carry ammo anymore.
    Chris

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I was told in the past it was up to the local manager.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have done it, but its been awhile being as I am well stocked up on ammo for now ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Russ-in-Pa

Russ-in-Pa Well-Known Member

Ask your locally owned sporting goods store to order/price the ammo for you. At least give them a chance to see what they can offer.

6. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I agree with Russ-in-Pa.
    Don

7. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I agree also with Russ-in-Pa. Give the private dealers a chance. That's whats wrong with our economy nobody supports the little guy anymore.

8. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I am one of the little guys, but most of the time I can save you money.
    Don

9. goosedowner

goosedowner Member

I don't like buying from Walmart especially gun related stuff but walmart is the only place around that carries 357sig ammo at a decent price.

10. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Russ-in Pa. I agree with you, buy off of your shooting vendors or shooting buddies that sell what you need.they have to make a living too. None of them are raping us or getting filthy rich. Everyone knows who the good guys are. Let's start supporting them!! Glenn Allison

11. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I'm all for supporting the local guy but when you live in an area where the local guy charges you a lot more than Walmart and there is really no other alternatives, well the too bad "local guy", I'll be getting my ammo from Walmart.

12. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Someday soon that is the only place you will be able to buy from. Then you will pay what they want you to pay!!That's a proven fact. Some how people can not get the grasp of that. Glenn Allison

13. skeet_man

If that ever happens, someone will step in to be competition against walmart, by undercutting them on prices, and the cycle will start all over again. No one gets to bite the apple forever.

I do support my local distributor where I buy most of my reloading supplies, but very few of the local gun shops. They buy from where I buy from, and sell for a much higher price. And if my distributor isn't the best price, I buy from someone else. Very few people have the luxury of paying extra $ just to support the local guy. If the local guy offers better service, and because of that, your willing to pay a higher price, than thats a different deal, but usually the local guy can't compete on price point alone. I know when I go to walmart I'm not going to get the greatest customer service, the lines might be a little long, but I live with it because the prices are lower. If I get the same service from the local guy, I see no benefit in paying higher prices just to feel good. I go where I get the best value for my dollar, sometimes that might be the best price, sometimes not.

14. markc2

markc2 Member

Walmart- (Federal)$22.97/four pack= $5.74/box. I can buy Federal Top Guns from several dealers for $50/case= $5.00/box. Where's the logic in supporting Walmart? Mark

15. skeet_man

In your instance, you are correct, it doesn't make sense to buy from walmart. But there are plenty of people out there who can't get top guns from their dealer for $50/case. And I have heard reports that some walmarts are carrying federal promo loads (1oz) in the mid $4s per box range, unfortunately I've never come across them.

16. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

not everyone has the luxury of living in an area where the "local guy" sells target ammo SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Walmart. I don't know why that is a hard concept to grasp for some folks....most of the locally owned shops here in northern VA do not sell target ammo. The one shop that I know of, who sells target ammo (Federal Top Gun), sells it for a lot more than $5/box as one previous poster mentioned....why would I pay that when I can get premium ammo from Walmart, STS or AA, for $7.97/box?

17. skeet_man

Took some bar codes in and hit up their automated price checker. No deals to be had, at least compared to what I can buy them for from my distributor. $7.74 for STS 20s (not bad, but no cheaper), $9.47 for STS 28s and 410s (a little high) and $12.47 for AA 28s and .410s (ouch). I don't know how one would go about having these brought in, I just wanted to get an idea of what their current price in the system was before I even asked, I saved myself some extra legwork that way.

18. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Get a bunch of your Skeet shooting buddies together, figure out how many shells of each gauge they would all need, try to get enough for a pallet of each gauge, get with Hans and ask him what he would charge for a pallet of each gauge if he didn't have to do anything except get them in, and have them ready for YOU to load into your pickups....

Seems the easy thing to do, as I have always found Beikirch's in your area to be the BEST around !!! They service the shooter, are great people, and should be respected in that manner !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave in SC

PS: I know one fellow trap shooter who got stiffed after he bought a whole pallet full of 9s for skeet shooters a few years ago...He Took their word that they would take them, and declined after they arrived...He did get rid of them but won't deal with them again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

walmart bulk ammo special order