1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WALMART SHELLS, DEER HUNTING, CABELLA'S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

WALMART SHELLS, DEER HUNTING, CABELLA

HELLO:
    I was at the local walmart yesterday and ran into a friend of mine. noticed that federal 4 packs and winchester 4 paks were at $19.00, down form $22.97. he informed me that a mutual friend of ours just shot a 14 point buck, largest he ever shot, and he was having it mounted. i am not a deer hunter and i asked him do people ever sell nice racks? he said yes, he said that he was told that a well know sporting goods store offered a guy $61,000 for a TWENTY SOME POINT BUCK, and supposely the guy turned it down. at one of the local gun clubs someone had a poster of all the world record deer with huge racks that had the actual pictures of the deer on it. i asked my friend i wonder how much you could sell one of those deer for? he didn't know, but said most hunters he knows would not sell a trophy deer. so here is the question, HOW BIG WAS THE BIGGEST DEER YOU EVER SHOT, AND DID YOU SELL IT OR MOUNT IT?
    STEVE BALISTRERI

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Cabelas did make me a tempting offer on my desert bighorn (Nelson) ram. I did have fleeting ideas about turning it into a K80 or something similar. But since it is probably a once in a life time deal for me, I kept him for my wall. I would think $61K would be pretty high for a deer mount, even a high ranking B&C trophy. A grand slam of B&C quality sheep would probably fetch better than six figures but only after they went in an estate sale. Guys tend to treasure these things to the end.

As far as big deer, I haven't got anything that outrageous, a couple of respectable mulies in the 30" class. Fairly common around here. I didn't have the money to mount them at the time so I did european mounts. Maybe someday I'll get an older buck with a nice cape and then mount the better set of antlers with that.

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I was in Dick's and they're shells are now coming in 20 to a box instead of 25, but they are priced as if they were 25. Bastidges.

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Dick's has had the 20 box stuff for years, they cater to the yuppies, pilgrims and bunny busters.

Curt

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

61 g's would buy one of mine...

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a nice 12 point, I would take less than 60K.

Buyers please write...........

HM

7. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

I have a 174 gross B&C 10 pt that I was offered $2500 for but it is mounted and on the wall in my game room. Travis Taxidermy in Chestertown MD did a fine job. Also, you can purchase replicas of some of the racks you see in Cabelas and Bass pro shops. Prices run on average $750 to $2000. Whitetail antlers and replicas are big business. Check ebay some time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.