1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walmart-friend or foe---

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bt 99, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bt 99

bt 99 TS Member

On this mornings news--Four "4" walmart workers in Utah tackled and disarmed a man stealing stuff and when he pulled a gun he was disarmed---.

Result---Walmart fired all involved employes--

My opinion---Give the workers a medal and fire Walmart.

What is the story here---??? Steve

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

This story may have a different ending before it's all over. They supposedly violated company policy by not retreating when the gun was produced - but there is another position being adopted that holds they were acting in self defense and within their rights as citizens. We'll see where it ends up. Either way, they should be applauded for their bravery, especially in today's society where people can't wait to be uninvolved.

3. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Why shop at Wal-Mart now?

I find prices lower elsewhere now days then at wally world.

4. JIM SIMS

JIM SIMS Member

Any of you had a SUPER CENTER built near you ?
    and if so what was the effect on property values?
    Thanks
    Jim
    P.S.
    didnt mean to highjack the thread

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WalMart Company Policy is to not resist and or do anything that might get you as an employee injured, give them what they want and leave it at that ... Its in the employee handbook and you are bound by it like it or not ... They don't want anyone playing Hero and getting killed ...

Super Centers supply jobs in the immediate area, got a problem with that ..? Eliminate the retailers who employ people and increase the welfare rolls, then your property values will go up ... There will be a Wal Mart within 30 minutes of areas that are heavily populated in not to many years from now ... If WalMart don't have it you probably won't need it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

And spoken by a Wal-Mart stockholder.

7. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

Been a fews now but we used to deliver to a walmart in victorville ca. The reciever ran a guy off for stealing pallets. The guy went and got his lawyer and came back, the lawyer preseded the yell at the reciever and actully slaped her, she finally got secutiy to get him out. Thats not the end of the story this guy filed a suite against the reciever, and walmart would not help her even though it was their pallets.Don't know how that it ended we quit going their.

8. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

If your a single mom or retired wally world will hire you. They do not pay enough unless your the manager to support a family. You still will be getting government support to help you live. Your still in poverty and living off my tax money. So I would say foe.

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Double Auto,

Prove me wrong ...

Yes, all of the people who will not shop at WalMart yet must sneak in and out of them at night because they are the largest and most successful chain ever in America or the world ... They are also the largest employer and make more donations in a week than most of your other big chain stores make in a year ... If WalMart don't have it, you probably won't need it ... People like some of those above make statements and have no idea what they are talking about, yet they are allowed to vote which is probably the reason Obama got elected ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

PS .... Since when are retired people supposed to work ..? I retired so I didn't have to work ...

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My views of Wal Mart are similar to WPT's. Many forget that Wal Mart was once a dream of an American that had the foresight to see its usefullness. That dream turned into one of the largest chains in the World. If your local Mom-n-Pop store started growing and expanding to other areas and opening new and larger stores it could be the next Wal Mart. Would the Wal Mart bashers do the same to them? Probably not if it started in their home town. Sam Walton was a simple farmboy with a dream.

Matt
    grntitan_2009_2503212.jpg

11. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I own my own business and I support my local mom and pop shops. I have a wally world 30 miles in either direction and do not go to them. I do not see them supporting any programs in my area ie; 4-H, fire departments, school functions, small animal sales at the local fair, boy scouts, girl scouts, etc. etc. I do see local mom and pop shops in my area supporting all of these. For groceries I support my local store, butcher and farm market.

I get people all the time that finally learn not to buy certain things at wall world and they come in to my store and tell me how much of a mistake it was to buy there. Once you buy it there, there is no customer support, that is there biggest complaint.

As far as retired people working. We live in a community close to the steel mill industries which have all dried up. Along with drying up they took most of the employees retirement with them when the factories closed. The retired people in my area are always looking for work to make ends meet.

You see them working golf courses, driving for the transit authority, driving school buses, working as carry outs at the grocery stores so do not tell me retired people do not work.

Tom

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

So, Let me get this straight ... WalMart is good enough to hire the people who would not otherwise be able to support themself or feed their family, and these same people are not customer friendly ..? It sounds to me like the WalMart who is putting these people on the payroll should leave them all go on welfare or become more customer friendly or am I reading that wrong ..? This is not WalMarts problem,its the people who WalMart hired in good faith who live in the community who are not customer friendly and if they get reported enough times they will be let go and go on welfare so thats not a problem ... The employees of WalMart are each issued an Employee handbook that gives them a guide to what the Company expects from them, if they say they are able to deliever same they are hired ... If they are not living up to what they know is expected from them they will eventually be terminated and go on welfare, so the problem is only temporary at best ... If you will be kind enough to let me know what area you live in, I will forward same to the right people and those people who are not living up to their end of the bargain will be discharged and go on welfare or you can put them to work and make them customer friendly ... I would say WalMart has a problem, no doubt its putting the people to work who come to WalMart for a job and then they do not perform as expected to ... Those are the people who are making WalMart look bad, not WalMart itself as a company ... Please forward the information and I will forward same to the proper channel, and thankyou for Shopping at your local WalMart ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

It has become obvious that some people don't appreciate having a job after getting screwed by the company they worked most of their life for and took their pensions with them ... Its all becoming clear now ...

13. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Like Rainman said about Kmart . . . Walmart sucks.

John

14. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

leadhead358,

You being a business owner you would know the importance of "customer support" , based on that anyone who tells you that they ran into a WalMart associate who was not customer friendly please direct them to a sign in the front of each and every store with the store Managers Name and picture clearly printed on it,tell them to ask for that manager so things can be handled on the spot and not spread around and get blown out of proportion by someone such as you who hears about it ...

I'd like to know where these Mom and Pop places are that you are refering to, the majority of them being gone for a number of years ..? Personally, I think your making it up as you go along ... I would LOVE to know where about you live so appropriate actions could initiated against those people you say you "hear about" all the time who do not provide customer support ...

No offense but I think you are blowing smoke just so you have something to say rather than say nothing at all ... What type of business are you in, how many people do you have on the payroll ..? Put things in perspective here and lets go from there talking about real numbers, not what you heard from someone ... WalMart will have a store coming near you in the near future and many of your neighbors will depend on it for feeding their family, maybe even you will ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Gotta feel sorry for the four that lost their jobs, you just know they really needed it.

I personally don't get the Walmart craze and don't consider their prices to be low considering the quality of merchandise they sell. But I have seen positive effects in retailers that surround Walmart super centers, specifically the grocery stores. In order to stay in business these other stores have to step it up a notch and offer the consumer even more for their dollar. So what we have is a choice between moderately priced low quality food from a not so clean store or reasonably priced high quality stuff from a nice clean store that doesn't seem to attract the booger eating crowd.

So in that regard the true value of Walmart may well be in forcing a competive environment that breeds excellence.

16. warren

warren Member

I live in an area where the nearest Wal-Mart is 70 miles away and prices here are at least 20% higher, including gasoline than they are anywhere near a Wal-Mart and I believe it is the compitition. So if you believe in paying high prices just run Wal-Mart and other large volume stores like Lowes and Home Depot off.

warren

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

WalMarts intends on building more and more Super Stores to handle the amount of dedicated customers they already have ... The people themself are the ones who forced the issues of economical prices of imported goods as opposed to American made that people do not want to pay the difference for but complain about the imported stuff ... WalMart is here to stay and getting bigger everyday ... Get your shells while you can before there is another price increase ... Thanks for your support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

WPT
    by customer support I mean being able to talk to someone that knows what they are selling. I own an appliance and TV store. I have 3 employees. Our customer support covers any problems you may have before, during or after the purchase. I sell, deliver and fix products that I sell wally world does not do that. If customers come in with a dead remote I help them to find the problem usually it the batteries are in backwards. You would not get that help at wally world , but you will at mom and pop stores. I sold RCA for years and as soon as they went into wally world they became junk. They do not sell name brands in electronics as far as tva, they are there for the price only no quality. I can match wally world on price, but they can't match my service!!!!!!!!!! Buy your toilet paper at wally world , but not you tvs. Where do you live?? I live in Ohio in the country there are mom and pop stores all over the USA evidently you do not get out much. I don't think you know what you are talking about unless you read it in a manual. Tell me where are HAIER products made that wally world sells.

19. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Those that think that Walmart doesn't get involved in community affairs. Need to go to the above website pick their state from the list. Then scroll down to where it says Community Involvement. Then read and learn before you say that Walmart. Doesn't support the community.

"I own my own business and I support my local mom and pop shops. I have a wally world 30 miles in either direction and do not go to them. I do not see them supporting any programs in my area ie; 4-H, fire departments, school functions, small animal sales at the local fair, boy scouts, girl scouts, etc. etc"

You told us why you don't see them supporting programs "do not go to them" the local Walmart in warmer weather is a hot bed of support in this community there are always car washes by the Girl's and Boy's scouts. There are charity drives and even food and pastry and cake sales. All for local causes and organizations. The local store manager when I worked there never refused the community causes the use of the local Walmart resources for Little league local soccor leagues, etc etc.

"Once you buy it there, there is no customer support, that is there biggest complaint."

Well that take a little clarification like just what do you consider customer support. I have seen customers come to the store a week before the Superbowl purchase a Large screen TV and a week after the Game bring it back for a full refund. This same TV was according to the buyer not working properly for one reason or another. Their money is cheerfully refunded. Later an associate from the Electronics department would take out back plug it in and connect it to the satellite dish an turn it on. It would run like a top for sometimes a week or however long it was left on.

So tell me what more can you expect in customer service and support. The customer get to watch the big game on a big screen TV then takes it back and lies saying that it is broken when it is not. Then gets their money back, I know no support!!!!!

BTW those are just some of the thing that have been done in just one store. You won't see it if you aren't around to look for it.

MY wife works there she could be retired but as the country is now she must work to get health insurance. Recently the weather here has been terrible. More snow in the month of January than is recent memory. The store is out of Ice Melt customers come in and ask for it the wife tells them we don't have any we are all out and it has been reordered. Nine out of ten customers go ballistic and say WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU ARE OUT. How would you support that customer?????????????????

Bob Lawless

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You can be pro small buisness and pro Wal Mart as well. There is a place for all. Competition is a good thing. Are the small buisness owners gonna hire all the misplaced workers if Wal Mart closed their doors. remember there are hundreds that work every Super Wal Mart. Many rely on their income from Wal Mart to make ends meet.

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
market power chapter 14 walmart friend or foe

walmart a friend or a foe