1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walmart employees not to happy working on 11/22 pm

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I know a few Walmart employees and they are not to happy that their company decided to be open on Thanksgiving night. A few feel how greddy can they get? Now other stores have decided to do the same thing. The holidays are an important time of year for retailers.

I told one guy who's an employee, he should be thankful that he has a job. Obviously most people would like to be home with their family, but in these economic times I suggested not to complain.

He asked me if I have ever had to work holidays, and my answer was yes. I spent most of my adult life in banking, but for awhile I worked for the Wauwatosa police department and I worked Thanksgiving, Chrsitmas etc.

I told him in retail you should know that working holidays is a possibility. I said look for something else if it bothers you that much.

Also, a sister of a Walmart employee is petitioning on Facebook to have Walmart resind their working on that holiday. She won't give out her brother's name fearing he would be fired.

So what do you think? Should Walmart be open Thanksgiving evening? Do the employees have a right to be upset with their employer?

My wife works at a hospital and they are open 24/7, and yes she has to work Christmas this year. I also have a friend who works at a posh hotel, and they are also open 24/7. I was told by him that hotels do not have locks on their doors because they never close. What do you think?
    Steve Balistreri

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If there are people willing to spend money an a certain day the wise retailer will be ready to accomodate them. Don't blame them for hustling a buck.

I can think of about a jillion other things I would rather do than go to Walmart on Thanksgiving (or the day after)

3. senior smoke

Hello:
    I know a few Walmart employees and they are not to happy that their company decided to be open on Thanksgiving night. A few feel how greddy can they get? Now other stores have decided to do the same thing. The holidays are an important time of year for retailers.

I told one guy who's an employee, he should be thankful that he has a job. Obviously most people would like to be home with their family, but in these economic times I suggested not to complain.

He asked me if I have ever had to work holidays, and my answer was yes. I spent most of my adult life in banking, but for awhile I worked for the Wauwatosa police department and I worked Thanksgiving, Chrsitmas etc.

I told him in retail you should know that working holidays is a possibility. I said look for something else if it bothers you that much.

Also, a sister of a Walmart employee is petitioning on Facebook to have Walmart resind their working on that holiday. She won't give out her brother's name fearing he would be fired.

So what do you think? Should Walmart be open Thanksgiving evening? Do the employees have a right to be upset with their employer?

My wife works at a hospital and they are open 24/7, and yes she has to work Christmas this year. I also have a friend who works at a posh hotel, and they are also open 24/7. I was told by him that hotels do not have locks on their doors because they never close. What do you think?
    Steve Balistreri

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If there are people willing to spend money an a certain day the wise retailer will be ready to accomodate them. Don't blame them for hustling a buck.

I can think of about a jillion other things I would rather do than go to Walmart on Thanksgiving (or the day after)

5. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

It is kind of greedy, but times are tough

As far as working on holidays, I own an HVAC business and have worked a bunch of holidays, since our kids have grown though I would always pull call on Thanksgiving and Christmas so the troops could be home with their family, but the rest of the holidays they have to settle for the rotation unless they have pulled a holiday

It didn't bother me because unless it was a real good customer I told them I was too busy to get out that day, but we would be out first thing the next day and if it was a good customer they had my home phone and they would always tell me not to worry about it until regular hours, now if it truly was an emergency I ran the calls gladly

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Thats how unions get started. People finaly get fed up with some of the demands......The phrase "feel lucky you got a job" is only good for so long.

7. senior smoke

Maybe I'm wrong, but I heard from a guy that he thought the workers get paid double time on holidays. Anyone know for sure?

When I worked for the phone company years ago, a new employee could not get the chance to work a holiday because the long term employee took the holidays to work as they were getting 2 1/2 times their regular hourly wage. The base pay for some of these people was $35.00 per hour staright rate pay X 2.5.
    Steve

8. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

I have never seen a HAPPY Wal Mart employee

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: workers get paid double time on holidays:

When I worked at IBM, double time for working holidays.

People with young kids usually didn't take up the offer.

By the way. Who in this day an age doesn't know that if you work for Wal-Mart your going to be working on Thanksgiving. I guess you can go work for Target, but wait, they just announced they will also be open on Thanksgiving,

10. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

ALL it would take is for PEOPLE to stay home and enjoy their family's and not get so EXCITED about a slim possibility of getting a good buy on some item that will be there tomorrow to put a stop to the stupidity.

Its just business's playing on the greed of purchasers THINKING they are getting a steal! Kinda like Obama's freebies!!

Just as a item selling at $9.99, just say its $10!!! but most people only see the $9, the $.99 doesn't register except at the Register!! Whats even crazier is the price, $32,999, hey hey, I got it for $32,000!! LOL!

11. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Unionize the workers and they would get OT for working a holiday. Then all that Chinese crap they sell would cost more!!! I won't go to Wal-mmart even if they were giving stuff away for FREE!

12. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I've been working holidays all my life. Many of us are required to. If you don't like it, quit! Find a job with holidays off. Simple as that.

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I never had the pleasure of not working Holidays, Birthdays, Anniversarys and any other day of the year ... Those people do not have to work, they can stay home and collect food stamps and welfare ... I in turn have never seen or met a WalMart employee who isn't happy because they have a job and can pay their bills ... Its the way the world is today, lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way ... no More Problem ...

WalMart will one day be the place to buy your grocerys or go hungry so if you don't shop there now you will be soon ... If WalMart don't have it you probably won't need it and "Thanks for your Support" ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

14. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

If they have it, I don't want it!! (YUK)

15. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

I avoid Wally Fart at all cost. I hope the workers can gain good traction and strike on Black Friday. The management of that place should be called Goliath...and needs a good kick in the @$$ by David. Waiting and watching.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I don't think a retail location needs to be open ON Thanksgiving,..but its dog eat dog on Black Friday from before dawn till Xmas Eve...if retails not up ones alley then its time to move on..in my profession of computer engineering..the job description clearly had on the bottom line "All Duties as Assigned"

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Things change, sometimes not for the better. Thanksgiving is on it's way to just being another day for a lot of people. This will be the first Thanksgiving where we will not be getting together with the whole family. Why? Because most of the young ones will all be working that day. They don't work at WalMart but other places where their services are required.

It just seems we are losing something if we just can't shut it down for a day or two a year and just spend time with family and friends.

18. avery53

avery53 Member

I think a lot of us remember working holidays for Uncle Sam, what's the big deal? lol

19. dalog

dalog Member

From the report I read earlier today, most of these "employees" are in fact union salts and this is a publicity stunt to see if they can get others to join them.

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

dalog....lets see your source of information or are you stirring shit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.