1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Walmart 4 pack shells sticking in my Remington 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I shoot a Remington 870 TB and have never had any problems with premium brand shells sticking in my 870. I have been shooting Walmart 4 pack Federals and Winchesters for 15 years. I have never had any problems with these shells until recently. After I fire a shot, I am having a lot of trouble ejecting the hull, where I literally have to put both hands on the forend and forcibly pull back to eject the hull. I have cleaned my gun, oiled it, put grease where it belongs etc. Anyone else having any problems with these type shells? Any ideas? This does not happen with premium federal Gold medals or AA's or STS shells.
    Steve Balistreri

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Steve, sounds like the lot of shells you bought recently were not sized very well and after they were fired are sticking in your chamber!!! I have a friend that is having the same problem with a newer lot of Rio's. Its because of the metal bases these shells have. Steel does not snap back to it original size as well as brass does. This may go away in the next lot of shells or it may not. Is your 870 hanging up with all three right now or just one brand, and if so which one??? Try one of the other brands as well!!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Steve, I used the winchester shells in my super x1 and had a problem with them ejecting. The federal 4 pack shoots fine and ejects nicely from my super and my 1100. Also the winchester 4 pack shells seemed very dirty. I won't use them at all now. Charlie

4. senior smoke

I am having problems with the Walmart Federal and Winchester 4 packs. I have never had problems with these shells sticking in my chamber before like this.
    Steve

5. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Steve, Experiencing the same problem here in CT. Got myself 500+ "once-fired" Top Guns and started re-loading them. About 50% of them bind-up when dropping them into the chamber of my break-open gun. This isnt just the steel doing this - they bind-up even before the steel gets into the barrel. I think I am going to "toss" the whole lot.

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

If there isn't some kind of coating like zinc or something on the steel base to lubricate it, the shells might be hanging up in the chamber. Take a 10 ga bore mop and coat it thoroughly with jewelers rouge. Chuck it in a drill motor and spin it for a few minutes in the chamber. It won't remove any parent material but it will polish off any high spots in the chamber. This problem is normally caused by a rough chamber, which all of them were that were made before the introduction of steel base hulls. Lots of the lower end shotguns still are.

7. windyflat

windyflat Member

The Remingtons are the only ones my 302 hates.... No trouble with Feds or Win

Tom

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I've seen this happen before.

Polish your chamber with some steel wool.

Might make the difference.

9. Smok'n Joe

Smok'n Joe Active Member

yes...clean the chamber but also check the shell extractor...may be time to replace it.

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

HAD THE SAME ISSUE. TOOK A 20GA BRUSH. WRAPPED IT WITH STRIPS OF SCOTCHBRIGHT
    AND PUT IT IN A DRILL. CLEANED UP AND POLISHED THE CHAMBER. PROBLEM GONE.
    DONT OVERDO IT. YOU CAN ALWAYS DO A LITTLE MORE IF NECESSARY. PS I HAVE
    LESS ISSUES WITH REMMIE 4 PAKS AS THEY SEEM TO BE THE SAME HULLS AS GUN CLUBS.
    AND YES THOSE WINCHESTER THROWAWAYS ARE DIRTY AS HELL.

11. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

One of my model 12's will fire most of these shell's but occasionaly with Winchester's I call for the bird and pull the trigger nothing happen's, extract shell put it back in the chamber, call for bird and Boom it goes off. I have never had this problem with shell's with brass bases in this gun. It is usually the Winchester shell's that do it. VERY FRUSTRATING

Thank's Mike

12. senior smoke

I appreciate the tips you have all given me. If I can't get these shells to work the way they should, I will try Rios, or fiochi. I am going to see if my Walmart sells the Remingtons?
    Steve

13. senior smoke

LUGNUTZ426:
    I took your advice and used SCOTCHBRIGHT wrapped around a 12 gauge cleaning brusch. Placed it in a drill and cleaned it out. I will be shooting on Sunday and hopefully this will do the trick.
    Thanks,
    Steve

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Don't shop for shells at Wally World

15. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I'd use steel wool. If you use a scotch-brite pad, it would have to be a really fine one.

16. senior smoke

Bruce Specht: Considering purchasing premium target loads and sell the empties?
    Steve

timb99:
    I also have #0000 steel wool.
    Steve

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the shells chamber hard, it is a re-sizing problem. If the shells are hard to eject, it is due to the steel base of the shells and a slightly over sized chamber. Brass heads expand when shot and snap back to nearly their original size. Steel heads expand but do not snap back. I would polish the chamber with great care. It is already too large for the shells and polishing with something like steel wool can make it even larger.

The steel heads are not always consistent in size and thickness. This can cause some of them to eject fine and others not eject.

Estate shells have always ejected fine from my gun and many other brands stick solid in the chamber. However, I recently ordered 15 cases of Estate shells and a few from each box have stuck lightly in the chamber. A finger flick will get them out but it is clear that there is some variation in the shell heads.

Pat Ireland

18. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I tried the cheap Winchester shells from Walmart. They repeatedly stuck in my Classic 1100,plus they were VERY dirty.The only other shell that I have had a problem with was when Gun Clubs went from brass to steel. Now I stay away from Gun Clubs with the steel base & the cheap Winchesters & I do not have any problems.
    Joe Jordan

19. senior smoke

Pat Ireland:
    I cleaned the chamber and the problem still occurs. They go into my 870 fine, after I shoot I need both hands to pull the forend back to eject the shell. When I first starting shooting the 4 packs from Walmart years ago, the federals had brass heads and no problems. I will pick up a case of estates and try them. I never tried Fiochi shells, wonder if they have brass heads?
    Steve Balistreri

20. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

You can't go by the color of the shell head. Use a magnet, since some are plated to look like brass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.