1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wally World Federals from the 27?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by michmoe, Apr 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Has anyone shot the 4 pack Wally World Federals from the 27 with any amount of success? The price is right but I'm wondering if they can pattern tight enough as I've been told they dont have as high a antimony in the lead.Thanks

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Nonsense. I use the Wal Mart Federals and Winchesters in games from the 30+ yard line and they smoke the targets from there if I do my part.

Eric

3. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

The wal-mart shells and federal top guns seem to be exactly the same. I have never used the wal-mart shells for trap, but I use top guns all the time, and have broken some of my best scores with them.

4. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

i agree with the posters above. i reload 99% of the time, but have used both the feds and wins. i prefer the wins, and they're usually cheaper than the rest around here. western ny.

brett d.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I know a trapshooter that demands 70% patterns for his handicap gun/ammo. A few years ago he patterned several brands of ammo. This guy is saavy enough that I'm sure he shot several pattern with each shell (I'd guess at least 5) and counted the holes.

I don't know what he got with all the different brands, but I remember him talking about two. With Gun Clubs he claimed he could never get 70%. He could with Federal Tops Guns and felt they were as good as any premium shell.

Are the current Wally World Federals the same as the Top Guns he tested? They look the same. They smell the same. Same shot? Same patterns? Have fun. Good luck.

And do you really need 70% pattern?

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

The discount shells made by Fed., Rem. and Winchester have different cases, primers and wads. Are there any significant other differences that allow for the reduced price?

Pat Ireland

7. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Pat, that's a good point. I have a little story to share. I deal with a local gentleman that has a small gun shop behind his house, but he does alot of business. A couple of months ago he went to a dealers convention and he got to speak to a Win. rep one on one.

He questioned the rep on when the price of primers is going to go down. The rep told him in no uncertain terms that once they have gotten the price up to the level that it's currently at, and people are still buying Winchester primers, the price will stay where it is at, maybe even rise more, but will NEVER go back down.

I use Fiocchi now.

Brett D.

8. Sargentyork

Sargentyork TS Member

I agree the wally world shels are just as good as any shell out there and with shot at a preimium is it really worth while to reload, only if you want to custom load for some of the longer distance fun games up to 1 and 1 half OZ. Is where you can save some cash over a similar heavy field load. For ATA or any other registered shoot you have to shoot 1 and 1 eighth any way. As we have all heard them reloads do misfire at least 50% more than factory loads probably more like 90%. One misfire can drop you out of the money, so you make the call. What's your time worth and what is your goal on the firing line if it is to stay at the 27 yard line and or to shoot near perfict scores then new is thw way to go. Sarg

9. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

"As we have all heard them reloads do misfire at least 50% more than factory loads probably more like 90%. One misfire can drop you out of the money, so you make the call" - Sarg.

Sarg, I completely disagree with your post. I've had more PREMIUM factory ammo misfire than my reloads. I have been reloading for 7 yrs. now, and I've never had a misfire, but i have a factory Nitro right here on my desk that didn't go off.

"For ATA or any other registered shoot you have to shoot 1 and 1 eighth any way."- Sarg

HUH???

Brett d.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

I have shot many flats of the Federal Top Gun loads and many 4 packs of the WallyWorld Federal Top Gun loads ... there aint no difference between what you can buy at WallyWorld or your local dealer when you purchase Federal Top Gun shells except the price.

Now to answer the original poster ... if you aint breaking them from the 27yd line it aint the shell but most likely it is you.

11. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

27 yard line the Top Guns and Estates are more than adequate. I have broke good scores with them. That said I still prefer my own hand loads.
    As for lost targets with either it isn't lost if it fails to fire. It's only lost if it bloops and the wad clears the barrel. I had my first blooper in several years last weekend. It cost me a shoot off for winner of class but got runner up anyway. Apparently I had a hull with moisture in it. RG

12. BAMA

BAMA TS Member

I've been shooting Wally World Federals from the 27 yrd line for over 2 years now and have never had a problem with them. I believe they are as good as any shell on the market and better then many.

Bama

13. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I have tried them from the 27, and have found they do not do the job. If they did I would buy them. Why waste money on premium shells or premium reloads if a cheap shell will do the job. They don't, and the powder smells rotten.

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know since WallyWorld Federals are so cheap I just called the manager down at the local WallyWorld and asked him about a qty discount and if I wish to purchase 10 4 packs at a time it would bring the price down to about $3.20 per 25. Once again being far cheaper than reloading.

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The facts are that the Premium Handicap shells work best from long yardage even though the Wally World Federals or Winchester promo's will break targets from any place you can see them from "if you do your job" ... Hell, reloads break them from any place you can see them from and that don't mean they are the advantage ... The highest percentage and advantage overall goes with the premium handicap shells when shooting handicap and the money is on the line, thats just the way it is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Not me, an avid reloader and still for way less than new BUT I have a couple of friends that rarely carry shells to a shoot and simply go to Wally World for their cheap shells. Both are 27 yarder shooters.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

17. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Ironically, I broke my first 100x100 from the 27 with Wally 4 pack 3dram 7 1/2's. I had forgot to put handicap shells in the car and arrived with no shells(I HAD to have T171 Federal Papers then). I had no choice but head to Wal-Mart next to the Sacramento gun club. I was really apprehensive, but after hammering the first 25 I said "Hmm, that worked OK". I proceeded to smoke one after another till my 97th which I cut in half.(Not the shell, my legs were shaking so bad you'd have thought there was an earthquake). Since then, I am far less concerned with what shell I shoot. Shoot well.....Jerry

18. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

MIA,

I've had this thing sitting here for about two months now. Should i leave it here, or send it to you and you can let me know when it decides to go off?

Brett D.

19. BMC

BMC Member

After the long yardage rounds, look at the grass and you will see that every shell of ever make is shot. Here you will see a lot of Estates, which are Federals and even a bunch of Wolfs. Obviously they work. I live by the Federal 1oz loads for the 16 yard line and they still work in caps. I did however crack one open because I wanted to figure out how to replicate the load and discovered the lead was silver-ish and much softer than my Western shot for reloading. Targets seem to break the same with either one. We use the same 1 oz Feds for the Annies and I've taken six guys out with a long shot that busted a target good.

20. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

LOL!

Brett D.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.