1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wall tent need to be fire resistant ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by plott hound, Jun 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

I am wanting to order a new wall tent and wonder if getting the fire resistant treating is REALLY that necessary ? Dont think I will do the wood stove option. I have a propane heater that I normaly use. (keeps heating all night) Anyone ever had a none treated one and wish it was treated ? Thanks Plott Hound

2. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I had a wall tent for years, never was treated and we had a stove most of the time, we were always very carefull when the stove was going. We also had 2 propane heaters, just kept them on the floor and in the middle of the tent at nite. Make sure its well vented also.

3. Scotchman

Scotchman TS Member

You only need it treated if you use a wood stove. Even with treating and a spark arrestor in the chimney you could burn holes in the tent from sparks with the wood stove. Your chimney with the propane won't get hot enough to get past the fireproof chimney jack.

Scotchman

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Make sure your new tent is vented in some fashion. A close friend died in his new nylon tent with his propane heater. The tent was more airtight than his old canvas tent. The lack of oxygen snuffed the flame and the propane kept flowing out of the tank. Brian died of propane poisoning. I miss him often. We started shooting registered trap together. Bill Malcolm

5. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

One last try before I order it. Can anyone give me a good reason to spend the extra 200 plus dollars for the fire resistance treating ?

6. Oldman1949

Oldman1949 Banned User Banned

Visit the Burn Unit at a near by large hospital . Most of the folks in there didn't think it was worth the extra money to get fire resistant stuff either .

7. tachyon

tachyon Member

Late 1950's, boy scout camp, canvas 4 man wall tent. Candle for lighting.

Tent next to me went up in flames. The two boys in the tent were burned pretty bad. Plastic surgery was not as good in those days. Permanent scars on the chin, neck, ear, shoulder and back from the burns. I still see one of these two on a regular basis. I would pop for the coating, particularly if you have children.

8. plott hound

plott hound TS Member

Thats what I was lookin for. Didnt think that canvas would burn like that. Will spring for the option. Thanks all

9. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

You can simply buy a tarp to place over your tent if you have wet weather.I used to treat my tent and it became a pain in the a%% + the $$$ for the treatment so I went down and bought a tarp that was big and long enough to tie down over the wall tent. The only thing you need to do is make sure to set your tent back up when you get home and let it AIR DRY so no mold or mildew affects your tent. This is the # 1 reason a tent rot's is because of NEGLECT! PJ

10. jimx200

jimx200 Member

I have this one (teepee tent), love it as it's well ventilated, easy to put up, and pretty darn waterproof. HOwever, I don't use a heater in it (bring my gf).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=421585

11. IM390

IM390 Member

It may be required by law in your state. That can be worth a lot than $200 if you're caught.

12. M-16

M-16 TS Member

A canvas tent is fairly fire resistent without coatings, but nylon can go up faster then you can get out of it. If you take care of your stuff and plan on using it for many years $200 isn't much over ten years

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

do i need fireproof canvas in wall tent