1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wal_Mart sez, "Game On, Bee-otch !!!"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by buzzgun, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Wal_Mart sez,

I've been following this story for a while for various reasons, and I hope it warms your heart as much as it did mine. (Methinks Buzz is actually starting to like these guys).

The sub-title of this should have been - "So, do you _really_ want to play this game with the World's Largest Retailer, Honey?"

(Wall Street Journal - Wed. 3/21)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wal-Mart Details Roehm Firing
    By GARY MCWILLIAMS
    March 21, 2007; Page B11

Wal-Mart Stores Inc., lobbing a salvo in an increasingly bitter fight with its former advertising chief, publicly detailed accusations that the fired executive and a subordinate had a romantic relationship and improperly accepted gifts during a troubled 2006 hunt for a new advertising agency.

In a 28-page countersuit in U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, the Bentonville, Ark., retailer accused former Senior Vice President Julie Roehm of using company-paid travel to conduct a torrid affair with a junior executive, of accepting meals and liquor from companies competing for its business, and pursuing a job with one bidder, Interpublic Group of Cos.' DraftFCB.

Wal-Mart fired Ms. Roehm and former Vice President Sean Womack last December shortly after naming DraftFCB to lead its roughly $580 million-a-year advertising account. It later dismissed DraftFCB and launched a new search led by separate executives.

Mona Williams, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman, said the company decided to air the emails and other allegations because Ms. Roehm "made disparaging the company a centerpiece of her self-promotion campaign." Galling to Wal-Mart, Ms. Roehm has portrayed herself as a victim of management panic over a sales slump and angst over provocative ad choices. She has criticized the company while entertaining offers for books and movie deals about herself.

The suit draws from internal emails culled from DraftFCB parent Interpublic, whose Martin Agency was named earlier this year to replace its sister agency. It also quoted from private emails supplied to it by Mr. Womack's wife.

In one such email cited by Wal-Mart, Mr. Womack wrote Ms. Roehm, "I feel the need to be inside of your head if I cannot be near you." Ms. Roehm replied, "I think about us together all the time...." according to the complaint.

Using such excerpts, lavish dinner expenses and statements from unnamed co-workers, Wal-Mart paints the two as flouting policies against close relationships with suppliers and employees and attempting to cover up their activities from the company, family and co-workers. It said Ms. Roehm repaid a DraftFCB executive for a gift of liquor only after Wal-Mart inquired about a gift of liquor.

Tracing emails from early 2006, the suit claims Ms. Roehm and Mr. Womack developed a romantic relationship over the course of several months. It claimed the pair "inappropriately extended business travel in order to spend additional personal time with one another at Wal-Mart's expense," citing a hotel stay in Chicago and a golfing outing in New York.

Ms. Roehm, a high-profile ad executive from the auto industry, had claimed the company didn't have a right to fire her in a breach-of-contract and fraud suit filed late last year in U.S. District Court in Detroit. Her suit seeks unspecified damages.

Mr. Womack yesterday declined most comment on the allegations, saying he hoped the two sides reach a settlement to quell the lawsuits. He also reiterated he assumed any meal or drink expenses were billed to Wal-Mart by the agencies involved.

Ms. Roehm yesterday referred inquiries to her attorney, who couldn't be reached. In past interviews, she had dismissed as unfounded the talk of an improper relationship with Mr. Womack or accepting gratuities. She has described the emails as innocent exchanges with a co-worker and "easily explainable."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What a hoot!

At the ripe age of 36, she goes around shopping book & movie deals about herself (perhaps thinking the proceeds will finance fighting Wal Mart in court (snicker) despite the fact most people have never heard of her)...not allowing for the possibility "that wife of his" might dig up emails off the home computer and _send_ them to Wal Mart!

It don't get any better than this, folks...

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Wal_Mart sez,

WalMart, a den of iniquity to be expelled from our home town.

HM

3. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Wal_Mart sez,

Yeah...& she stung these guys for 325k + 250k signing bonus + 300k in stock perks...couldn't have happened to nicer people. But I guess they're holding back on the latter...see you in court!

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Wal_Mart sez,

Wally world does some strange things. I have a brother-in-law that worked for them for about 10 years. Was a district manager. They fired him and about 6 other managers all in one day. Don't know why, for some reason it is a big secret. Like I care, I didn't like him very much anyway. In the past wally world had taken out a big life insurance policy on him. I thought that somewhat odd and didn't know that it was even legal but apparantly it is. They pretty much do whatever they please. Something they don't like, they just clean house.

5. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Wal_Mart sez,

Go to wal mart watch.com.......lots of entertainment there.

6. jimx200

jimx200 Member

Wal_Mart sez,

buzzgun...wow, appears like Communist Party walmart watch. Let me guess: probably funded by disgruntled Union goons? Looks like they got rid of a dishonest employee. Stupid woman...not a resume highlight.

7. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Wal_Mart sez,

Like Icarus...she flew too close to the Sun...and then...

But have no fear...she's employed again...amazing.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Wal_Mart sez,

Buzzgun, quote: "It don't get any better than this, folks..."<br>
    <br>
    Sure it will. Michael Moore will make a "factual" doumentary of how Mao-Mart exploited her. It will go on to win an Oscar.

9. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

Wal_Mart sez,

Well Bri, she lacks the necessary credential of being a card-carrying liberal...but she can easily adopt the character, if it will further her career...with the right co-star, I bet it could be a real sheet-burner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.