1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wal-Mart profits down 3%

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Mac V, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mac V

Mac V Guest

So doesn't one of the crowd of resident Wal-Mart watchers have something sage to say about this disturbing development?

Mike

2. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Over saturation of the market, people used to travel 40-80 miles to go to Wally`s; now with a store in every burg of 10,000... Too many people like their own employees making PT $9.00/hr. $50.00 to fill the tank. We may also be seeing a backlash against all Chinese goods. Yada Yada. Like everything, it will all work out.

3. smartass

smartass TS Member

It's all a plot by Bush and Chenney

4. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wonder what percentage of their loss comes from alienating shooters.
    Robert

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

RobertT you asked "Wonder what percentage of their loss comes from alienating shooters." Trust me when I tell you that you over estimate the shooters importance in the food chain. I can personally assure you that the "loss comes from alienating shooters" is minuscule.

Bob Lawless

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I must disagree with you. Minuscule is much too large to describe the Wall Mart loss due to a few shooters.

Perhaps the problem is with the CEO. If they fired the current CEO (and they do get fired frequently) and paid more money to a better CEO their profits might increase. How much should a business pay someone who could raise the profits by $50,000,000?

Pat Ireland

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

K Mart alienated the shooters and they went bankrurpt. You under estimate the power of the shooters. When taking mama to the store to shop, dad will pick the store with guns and ammo.

The K Mart lot is empty compared to Wal Mart on any given day. HMB

8. atashooter

atashooter Member

I went to Wally today. To my suprise, the double rotating gun rack has been removed and replaced with a BB gun display. I asked what was up and the guy behind the counter just looked at me and said " Guess we are gonna be one of the freak-o anti stores".

9. atashooter

atashooter Member

Kinda O/T, but do ya'll remember when Sears had the sporting goods dept. from hell? I mean they had everything...

10. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"My wal-mart no longer carries STS's or AA's, is this going to happen to every wal-mart."</blockquote>

Wal-Mart sells only products from manufacturers who will play ball with Wal-Mart and supply goods on a razor-thin profit margin. If Wal-Mart can't negotiate that kind of a deal, they look for different suppliers. That's what happens to Motorcraft oil for a while. If Remington and Winchester won't sell to Wal-Mart for what Wal-Mart is willing to pay, their products won't be sold in Wal-Mart.

Mike

11. smartass

smartass TS Member

My WM carries plenty of ammo, guns, and reloading supplies. They sell this all cheaper than nearly anybody else does. Yet some boneheads think that's a bad thing. Maybe if they doubled their prices the boneheads would be happy. BTW, none of these products are made in China, unfortunately. If they were, they'd be cheaper yet and I'd buy more.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

jbmOU this is a very interesting theory that you have "Whenever we first got a super wal-mart in our area, their sporting goods section had everything, now they don't even carry remington STS and win. AA shells, just the 100 round value packs and game loads" There is only one problem with it when Wal-Mart fills their shelves with products they keep records on what sells and what doesn't. When it is time to do the shelves over and make room for the new products they have records that tell them what to restock with. If items of an outdoor nature(hunting fishing and shooting supplies)don't sell they go. Something else of a different nature is stocked. So if you can't find it at Wal-Mart anymore it is because it no longer sells the hunting,fishing and shooting sports community's fault not Wal-Mart's.

"I must disagree with you. Minuscule is much too large to describe the Wall Mart loss due to a few shooters" Pat I used minuscule because not being as intelligent as you I didn't no a term for a something smaller.

HMB even as I am sure that you believe what you have written. "K Mart alienated the shooters and they went bankrurpt. You under estimate the power of the shooters. When taking mama to the store to shop, dad will pick the store with guns and ammo." There is no way that K-Marts bankruptcy can be attributed to the Shooting community. You are correct about one thing though "The K Mart lot is empty compared to Wal Mart on any given day." even in Wal-Mart stores that no longer sell guns.

Mike you said that "Wal-Mart sells only products from manufacturers who will play ball with Wal-Mart and supply goods on a razor-thin profit margin" what you didn't enlighten us on is why Wal-Mart stopped selling Remington STS and Winchester AA in the first place. After all Remington and Winchester sold to Wal-Mart before.

It is really amazing how everyone has it all figured out but they never cover all of the basis with facts.

Bob Lawless

13. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Walmart was one of the first companies in the U.S. to profile products bought and sold and then adjust their inventory all via electronic methods. Pretty well designed and effective system.

If I had to guess why they're not selling guns/ammo at a particular Walmart, I would have to say it probably had something to do with the profit margins. And for that, I can't blame them.

Financially, still a very strong company and a good long term investment. There is not going to any local or US competition for everyday products anytime soon.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- I think you have a good concept of business. When I appraise a business, I look at such things as profit per cubic foot of retail area.

SShooterZ- I also agree with your assessment that Wall Mart is financially sound. One area where Wall Mart is a little out of line is in the area of profit per gross sales.

By looking on the ground at any large shoot, it should be clear to anyone that discount shells are popular with many shooters. Wall Mart must accept much of the blame or credit for the popularity of discount shells with trapshooters.

Pat Ireland

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Without reading this whole thread and without reading all the financial reports does anyone know what percentage there sales are up? Higher sales can very quickly and very easily cancel out a little 3% drop in profit.

16. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"Mike you said that "Wal-Mart sells only products from manufacturers who will play ball with Wal-Mart and supply goods on a razor-thin profit margin" what you didn't enlighten us on is why Wal-Mart stopped selling Remington STS and Winchester AA in the first place. After all Remington and Winchester sold to Wal-Mart before."</blockquote>

Your final word "before" is the key. These deals aren't forever. They get re-negotiated on a regular and sometimes frequent basis. That's what Wal-Mart's marketing system does...all day, every day. Wal-Mart is continuously re-evaluating it's cost-to-profit ratio on every item in every department and when the ratios get out of parameters, they move in for a re-negotiation. And with the cost of shotshells rising as often as they are, the renegotiations have probably reached the breaking point.

Mike

17. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Walmart can go screw itself, they are p utting a super walmart up right near my home and its going to drag all the low lifes and poor people into my town, GOD DAMN'T i hate walmart, it has a mind of its own.

18. Wayne In ny

Wayne In ny TS Member

Walmart post's worst monthly sales since 1980. That ought to make you happy Drumplayer26.

19. lumper

lumper TS Member

When did they stop selling STS and AA's? My local walmarts, 4 within 20 miles all have STS's and AA's and only 1 of the stores are selling firearms.

20. Drumplayer26

Drumplayer26 TS Member

Yes that makes me VERY HAPPY,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.