1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wal Mart officially supports health care "reform"

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Wal Mart officially supports health care "reform". I caught one of their radio messages, then looked this up on their website.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Wal Mart officially supports health care

It's probably in their best financial interest to do so. In the United States, most people receive health insurance coverage through their employers.
    If the U.S. decides to make a fundamental shift in the financing of healthcare, where the burden is shifted toward the employee (through paying more taxes), then Walmart comes out ahead.

What will happen to workmen's comp when healthcare is free?

3. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Workers Comp is not healthcare as it is separate from this issue; it does, however, also need reform especially in New York, California, and Ohio, to name a few. Walmart basically sold its soul to the devil. I'm sure they figured that it would help destroy their competitors and be a regular diner at the White House pig trough. It may backfire on them because liberals hate Walmart. In the mean time they'll attempt to bleed it to death. May want to dust off your stock and sell it; I wouldn't buy Walmart as long as they're thinking along with the Government lines. BT-100dc

4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

If we have universal health care, then they won't have to cover the hospitalization portion of the workmen's comp. Won't they have to make changes to it, too?

5. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Looks like you'd better add Oregon to the list for reform.

Oregon health plan covers assisted suicide, not drugs, for cancer patient

Eugene, Ore., Jun 6, 2008 / 01:09 am (CNA).- An Oregon woman suffering from lung cancer was notified by the state-run Oregon Health Plan that their policy would not cover her life-extending cancer drug, telling her the health plan would cover doctor-assisted suicide instead.

Barbara Wagener discovered her lung cancer had recurred last month, the Register-Guard said. Her oncologist prescribed a drug called Tarceva, which could slow the cancer growth and extend her life.

The Oregon Health Plan notified Wagner that it would not cover the drug, but it would cover palliative care, which it said included assisted suicide.

“Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan,” said the letter Wagner received from LIPA, the Eugene company that administers the Oregon Health Plan in Lane County.

“I think it’s messed up,” Wagner said. She said she was particularly upset because the letter said doctor-assisted suicide would be covered.

“To say to someone, we’ll pay for you to die, but not pay for you to live, it’s cruel,” she said. “I get angry. Who do they think they are?”

A doctor appealed to Genentech, the company that markets Tarceva in the U.S., to cover Wagner’s medication. On Monday Wagner was told the company would cover the drug treatment for a year, after which she could re-apply for the drug.

“I am just so thrilled,” Wagner said. “I am so relieved and so happy.”

According to the Register-Guard, Oregon oncologists say they have seen a change in state health policy, saying their Oregon Health Plan patients with advanced cancer are no longer covered for chemotherapy if it is considered comfort care.

“It doesn’t adhere to the standards of care set out in the oncology community,” said Dr. John Caton, an oncologist at Willamette Valley Cancer Center. He said many studies have found that chemotherapy in a palliative setting decreases pain and time spent in the hospital and increases quality of life.

Officials of LIPA and the state Health Services Commission, which sets policy for the Oregon Health Plan, say they have not changed their coverage of recurrent cancer patients, but have only clarified the rules."

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I also want health care reform, but not Obama care. Recury, you know the answer to that one - if you think health care is expensive now, wait until it is free.

My reform would be to have every person purchase their own high deductible health insurance with health savings accounts. Put the consumer back in
    charge of paying for what they consume.

Look at the costs of voluntary medical procedures now. They are going down. I can pick up any newspaper and see ads for liposuction, lasik, plastic surgery, cosmetic surgery, etc... Lasik eye surgery has gotten so competitive I read, see and hear ads on tv, radio, print for - do 1 eye get the 2nd free, 0 interest loans that can be financed over years, no payments for a year.

A plastic surgeon has an ad every day in the local sports section of the paper offering the 2 for 1 special on breast augmentation, no payments until 2010!

All these procedures are not covered by insurance and don't involve the government.

I can see why Walmart is for health care reform and if the government takes it over the better for them. They can go back to selling P&G products, Cokes and Pepsis and stuff from China and get out of the health benefits business.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

Union Guys, take note, because I want to tell you what happened in the last election:

Obama said he wouldn't tax your benefits...and your union told you to vote for him. Now that he's in office, we find out he *is* going to TAX those BENNIES you guys fought for so many years to get, and use the PROCEEDS from that to fund health care for NON-UNION WAL MART WORKERS!

Now, he's telling you that you'll be able to keep your present plan. But he knows that either one of two things will happen: A) The public plan will either run your private insurance out of business, or B) Your UNION EMPLOYER will simply dump you off their plan altogether, and put you on the same gov't. plan the WalMarters are getting. Just in time for you to GROW OLD, and get RATIONED out of the care you need, when you need it most.

100 years of struggle for Labor in America, and it boils down to this.

Last year, you were enjoying your benefits, while cussing George Bush.

This year, George Bush is nowhere to be seen, and a plan to tax your benefits into oblivion is headed down the pike, to be signed by Obama's pen.

You guys and your leaders are *geniuses* ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.