1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wal-Mart:: Cheapest Target Loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tafable, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tafable

tafable TS Member

I have done some shopping all over...MD, TN, FL, NC, etc.... Wal-Mart is STILL the CHEAPEST place to buy a brick (100 rounds) of target loads. The brands, in my opinion, are reputable in Winchester, Remington and Federal (my preference).
    Their shelves are always full of these. I am starting to wonder if these are decent & safe rounds. I am trying to plan for a B-day event with 7th graders.
    FYI: I remember buying bricks @ Wal-Mart when they were @ $12.88 each. They are now @ $20.97.
    Thanks for your input.
    Talby - Clarksburg MD

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

I started out with those before i got into reloading and found no problem with them at all.

3. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

I've been using the WallyWorld Federal shells almost exclusively for the past couple of years. They are great shells if you ask me, got a little thump some say though. The Remingtons at Wally are always a $1 higher than the Fed. or Win. 4 packs.

These shells have came down in price, just a few months ago they were $22.97 a carton, now down to $20.97.

4. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Talby,

When I get behind on my reloading, I often buy Wal-Mart shells. They, both the Federals and the Winchesters, work great in my 3200s and my wife's XT combo. We shot some 600 rounds of the Feds just this weekend. They burn clean also leaving only a minimum of residue in the barrel.

They are "decent", and safety is not any more of an issue with these as it is with any economy factory shell.

The only thing I don't like about them is the steel base, which I perceive as being harder on the breech face of my guns. I also don't reload them (there are some who do however).

Remember with the factory rebates in play you can buy premium STS and AAs for just about .30 cents/box more and have great "new" once-fired hulls for reloading.

Guy Babin

5. tafable

tafable TS Member

I joined this website to learn: and one thing I am surely learning is "I-should-have-joined-earlier!!!"
    I did not know about the rebates on the better stuff!
    Wow...Talby

6. zeroed4x

zeroed4x TS Member

I was at Markham Park trap range in Sunrise, Fl on Sunday (yesterday) and not only did I pattern the Wal Mart Winchester loads with my BT-99 but I also shot a 25 singles with them. Most of the 25 targets that I broke were smoked.
    I was very impressed with the 12ga Winchester loads from the 4 pack @ $20.97
    I shot 5 patterns and found that I had very few fliers, very tight and consistent. Average fliers were very minimal. The pattern was as good as the WIN AA and REM Premier STS. Very surprising. Your results may vary but they preformed very well for my gun. These shot shells are not as clean burning as the Win AA but they are very good in my opinion. At an average cost of $5.24 per box, the only thing that would beat these would be the Rem Gun Club at Dicks for $5.00 per box or Bass Pro for $5.29.

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I got a good laugh out of the 19 cent gas. We were just sitting around a campfire reminiscing about a 12 cents/gal gas war that was going on in Texas during the 60's around Beeville.

The price spike in all our goods is little more than Weimar inflation from the print-fest 0 has taken us on. Sad..........

Kip

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

Tafable. My thought is those loads are cheap but if you want to introduce young shooters to the sport BUY LIGHT loads. If you were a kid and got the snot kicked out of you, you may not want to try this again in the future.

Bob S

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Those 4-box sets(for the most part) are 3dram 1 /18. We avoid them for our youth team because of what "Bob S" just stated. We start them with Centurian 2 3/4 dram 1 oz loads and then go up to 1 1/8 loads after some time. They are a great value though and i have shot a many of them with no real issues.---Matt

10. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

If you get lucky you can find RIO 1oz loads in your region for $50 - $53 a flat. I have seen them a few dollars cheaper... Ask around.

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I prefer the Remingtons. Winchesters seem to hang up in my TB (on extraction). Federals thump me harder. Remingtons go through my Grabber like whatever through a goose. Feds/Wins seem to work harder in the reloader.

12. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Federal makes/made a darn fine 1180fps 1oz shell that's just the cats meow for new shooters and trying out a potential new gun (I always shoot new shells when I'm evaluating a potential new gun or shooting a buddies new gun.) I bought a few flats a couple of years ago and I'm still using them.

ss

13. bubba68

bubba68 Member

I just saw in Wallie World they (along side the premium shells) had Winchester 1 oz. loads in white WW Winchester boxes. These will be far more comfortable for young shooters (heck, even experienced shooters). Plus, they were cheaper than the AA's.

As mentioned above, those "bricks" of shells are pretty hot loads and the kids will definitely feel them.

Hope this helps.

14. RAScott

RAScott Member

I Shot yesterday at the club, a young kid beside me was shooting a riot gun with sites on it about an 18" barrel, fold up and colapable stock.

EVERY time he pulled the trigger I cringed, he was beside me, my clothes shook, he broke about 5 targets. I would shoot, then watch him shoot, MAN I felt sorry for him, his dad was behind taking pictures.

I said to him weren't you shooting an over-under a round or two ago when I was scoring? O/U = 12-14 targets. He was shooting winchester universals 3 dram 1 1/8. Loads and gun makes a difference.

The riot gun probaly is good for kicking in doors, but not good for the trap fields.

Bob S

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

"I just saw in Wallie World they (along side the premium shells) had Winchester 1 oz. loads in white WW Winchester boxes"

Those are the Winchester Super Targets and are good cheaper shells as well. They are generally a little higher than the 4-Box deals. They have the steel based hulls.----Matt

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I buy single boxes of Federal 20 guage for $4.76 a box. They are 7/8 oz of 8 at 1200 FPS.

Perfect for skeet, good for 20 guage trap if you like.

The 12's are an ounce at a higher speed, and I like my reloads better but they are just as cheap as the 20's.

HM

17. bubba68

bubba68 Member

Matt - thanks for pointing that out. Yes, they are steel based hulls and are $5.97 - priced somewhere between the premiums and the "bricks". To me, worth the price if you don't reload, but want a shell that won't bruise the shoulder.

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Why not buy real target loads, light ones even, for the kids to shoot and then sell the hulls to recoup most of the difference between them and the cheap 3 dram butt kickers the Marts sell? To help support the kids I bet a lot of club members would buy STS hulls for 4 or 5c each. Also don't forget to ask for a price match when buying them at WalMart, the secret is to wait until you get to check out and then lay an advertisement from Dicks or anyone having a sale. Most of the time the checker will just do it. If you ask at the sporting goods dept the manager will get called and denie it if he can figure any way to. This stratagy has worked for me, I will even hang back and pick my checker carefully.

19. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Had a guy show up at our club last week with a 870 and 3" Mag No. 4 Steel.

Yeah!

20. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

if you are in Clarksburg, MD, take the drive up to Lebanon, PA (just outside of Harrisburg) and visit Shyda's gun Shop. They stock Rio shells for about $50 or $51/case IIRC. They have 7/8oz and 1oz loads as well. They also sell Estate shells.

Better than the Wally World 3 dram, 1 1/8oz thumpers.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cheap target load

cheap target loads

cheap trap loads

cheapest trap loads
skeet load at walmart