1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wal-Mart Bringing Back Firearms To Many US Stores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rhymeswithorange, Apr 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Wall St Journal - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT) is quietly bringing back rifles, shotguns and ammunition to hundreds of U.S. stores as the struggling retail giant seeks to reinvigorate its one-stop shopping appeal and reclaim wayward male customers.

The world's largest retailer stopped selling hunting rifles and bullets at
    all but a third of its U.S. stores five years ago, citing diminishing sales. It
    is now restoring them to hundreds of locations, bringing the total to nearly
    half of its more than 3,600 U.S. namesake stores, as part of a larger push to
    restore "heritage categories" of merchandise such as fishing rods and bolts of
    sewing fabric that it removed in an attempt to go upscale that backfired.

We made a business decision to sell them in certain stores because we have realized the appeal was perhaps broader than we thought," said Wal-Mart
    spokesman David Tovar. "But we are committed to doing it responsibly as
    possible, as always, in compliance with all applicable local, state and federal
    laws."

2. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

As much as I dislike Wal Mart, I have never-ever-ever gotten a better deal on any new gun I have ever bought.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The guns that are sold at Wal Mart are not exactly replicas of most of the guns I see at the clubs where I shoot, or the gun that I shoot but they are guns ... The stores are at the mercy of all of the big shots in Corporate so don't blame the people in the stores ... I still say, "if WalMart don't have it, you probably won't need it" and Thanks for your Support ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

It'll be chinese junk too. Just like the whole dang store. Remember how cheap KMart seemed? Now walk thru ChinaMart..

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The reason Wal-Mart stopped selling firearms, especially in California, is because they got caught selling to an underage buyer. That's why the statement of disclaimer at the end of their last sentence.

Kevin

6. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

It's not just Wal-Mart that is changing. Here our local Fred Meyer is selling guns and ammo. We where there last week and I walked through the sporting goods area and there was two show cases of pistols (mostly Smith & Wesson and Ruger)and a 15' rack of long guns.

Jim

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Several of the Wal-Marts in NE Mississippi have started selling guns again. Regular guns cases not the counter top carousels. They have all had ammo all along.

One store had a 20ga pump labeled "870 Express" less than $200, I could not get close enough to see it clearly, so I asked to see it. Turned out to be an H&R pump that was made in China? Wrong label, the clerk did not have a clue.

Michael Goines

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't see Sparta IL Wal Mart getting rid of their sporting goods section. Very large hunting population in these parts. It also doesn't hurt to have the Grand as well as the other shoots. I would think they would at least sell ammo as long as that shooting complex exists.

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Would it be to much to inquire just where you saw this information in writing? A place where one might read it for ones self????

Bob Lawless

10. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Wall Street Journal Online had the article today.

Chris

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Now Ebay needs to also come to their senses.
    Steve Balistreri

12. grntitan

Well if it was in the newspaper it has to be true. (;0}

13. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

It's not just Wal-Mart that is changing. Here our local Fred Meyer is selling guns and ammo. We where there last week and I walked through the sporting goods area and there was two show cases of pistols (mostly Smith & Wesson and Ruger)and a 15' rack of long guns.

Jim

14. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Several of the Wal-Marts in NE Mississippi have started selling guns again. Regular guns cases not the counter top carousels. They have all had ammo all along.

One store had a 20ga pump labeled "870 Express" less than $200, I could not get close enough to see it clearly, so I asked to see it. Turned out to be an H&R pump that was made in China? Wrong label, the clerk did not have a clue.

Michael Goines

15. grntitan

I don't see Sparta IL Wal Mart getting rid of their sporting goods section. Very large hunting population in these parts. It also doesn't hurt to have the Grand as well as the other shoots. I would think they would at least sell ammo as long as that shooting complex exists.

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Would it be to much to inquire just where you saw this information in writing? A place where one might read it for ones self????

Bob Lawless

17. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

Wall Street Journal Online had the article today.

Chris

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Now Ebay needs to also come to their senses.
    Steve Balistreri

19. grntitan

Well if it was in the newspaper it has to be true. (;0}

20. dave1

dave1 TS Member

I have seen walmart here in washington state bring back guns. First the case then slowly filling it with guns over the past several months. So it is true here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.