1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Waiving handicap penalty

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Vijay, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vijay

Vijay TS Member

I am a new ATA trapshooter. I have a 1,000 singles and 500 handicap targets. Now, you need at least 1,000 singles to be classified without penalty in the 16 yds shoot and 1,000 handicap targets to be classified without penalty in handicaps. The rules allow you to waive your penalty yardage in the handicap and shoot for targets only (can’t win trophies).

At yesterday’s New York State shoot the classifier told me that if I waive my penalty yardage in the handicap I could only shoot targets only in the 16 yds event also (even though I have the required number of targets for the 16 yds event). Is this correct? He was not sure initially, but asked someone and came back and told me the above.

Given that I worked hard to get my singles targets I decided to shoot the penalty at the handicap, which was 25 yds…needless to say I had a rude awakening so I decided not to shoot Wednesday and Thursday because there are not enough singles targets to worth my travel. I don’t think this is good for the game since they just lost one shooter for 2 days. How many more there might be like me?

2. motrap

motrap Member

Although I am not familiar with the NY program, that would NOT be the case in Missouri, and I do believe they were incorrect.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The target attainment is for a 2 yr. period, the current year ('07) and last years' ('06). Everyone that is a ATA member must go through the same penalty for not having a 2 yr. record.

If you are an average shooter, you should have shot for "Targets Only", if not, then you should have sucked it up, shot the best you could and enjoyed the competition.

Curt - Delaware

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Vijay -

They were probably incorrect. Unless there is a specific rule, I believe they should be treating each disipline differently. The places I'm familiar with will allow you to declare T/O in one disipline without impacting others.

Scott

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They were wrong. You cannot be penalized in singles for your handicap targets or lack thereof.

Someone has been drinking funny Kool-Aid again. It never ceases to amaze me how people take on a responsibility and then do it wrong.

In your case it was 2 people. If you were shooting singles only you would not be penalized.

DUUUUUHHHHHHHH!

HM

6. laura!

laura! Member

Vijay,
    In the ATA rule book page 21 & 22 deal with penalty classification & handicapping. In a nutshell, it basically says all target requirements and penalties established by shoot management must be in written up in the shoot program ie they should be able to show it to you in writing.
    I have the new shooter penalty blues myself. Got over 1000 16s but am seriously behind in caps. I can tell you at the Grand if you're short on caps, but have your 1000 16s, you're either on the 25 or shooting targets only JUST FOR CAPS.

7. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I agree, it doesn't make sense and sounds like someone goofed. As an aside, isn't there supposed to be something in the program about shooting targets only? Is it an unwritten type of thing and you have to ask for it?

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Computers are great for classifying but this thread points out a computer problem. Many of the computer classifications programs will only allow the targets only classification to be applied to all three disciplines. I believe NY uses Bob Spence's program and this is the situation with that program.

Pat Ireland

9. Steve NJ

Steve NJ Member

I don't think they do anymore Pat.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Pat, et. al.,

At our Delaware State Shoot we had some shooter's that shot for "Targets Only" and I did it by discipline and event, not all three. Bob Spence cashiered our shoot also and we did not encounter any problems.

It appears that the wording may have been written incorrectly by the NYSTA and should have read for the Target Years of 2007 and 2006. It is most common that classification and target requirements are based on the current and previous target years, not just the current year.

But, if that's the way it was written, then you should not have had a problem.

Best Regards,

Curt - Delaware

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Nineteen for Juniors is wrong too.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.