1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wlc, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wlc

wlc Member

I see a lot of discussion here about Claybuster and Downrange wads. I use CB1118 and DRXL-1 in AA and GC hulls. They both seem like great wads to me, they reload smoothly, not many folded in petals, and no difference in the amount of plastic residue left in barrels. I shoot them in a fixed choke Perazzi and my wife uses them in an invector+ Browning. I'm curious about all of the problems some claim to have with Claybusters.

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

My reloader does not like Claybuster wads.

When I use them, on every downstroke, there is a loud pop/crackling noise as the wad goes through the wad fingers and into the hull.

Downrange wads do not do this in my reloader.

Claybuster wads leave a lot more residue on my choke tubes than do Downrange wads.

Your mileage may vary.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I don't notice any difference at all between the two. I use Downrange wads because Claybuster doesn't make an XL-1 wad.

MK

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have missed too many targets with Claybuster wads.

Pat Ireland

5. checker

checker Member

DOWNRANGE WAD 12ga 1-1/8 (FIGURE 8)
    [​IMG]
    and 700X caused my 2 misses Sunday at Triangle.

6. dhip

dhip Active Member

OK,a little dense here. But I'd like to know exactly how to determine the Missed target,soft or odd sound to be the wad,not bad powder drop or bad primer.With all the different components how does one determine a particuliar miss,sound to be the wads fault.I guess you could load a bunch and if they all did the same you could narrow it down.Just wondering,not doubting.

Doug H.

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

My experiences are exactly as those reported by timb99 above...this is why I have switched to Downrange wads for loading Remington hulls (green and gold). Regards, Ed

8. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

I'd have to say ALL my misses are from faulty wads, primers, shot, or even hulls. I even find this to be true when I shoot new shells. I know it can't be the gun or the shooter because it fits me perfectly and I do everything right every time, just ask me. Damn those defective components! -Mark

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mark- When I miss, the primer goes off so it is good. I only use Alliant powders and I know they are excellent. The shot I use looks round so the wad is the only thing left for me to blame.

I do have one puzzling question. I can load singles shells and handicap shells from the same bag of wads. The wads will work better for singles than handicap. I don't understand why.

Pat Ireland

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I now use Claybuster for all loads and all gauges with no complaints at all. I have never noticed any more plastic buildup with claybusters either. Jackie B.

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gee - maybe your choke is causing the plastic build-up. Nah, has to be the wads...

Ed

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ed- The same wad that results in plastic build up in one gun will not result in plastic build up in other guns. Some guns will get plastic build up with all wads, other gun seem to not have this characteristic with any wad. So, as you stated, the problem must be the wads and not the shape of the choke.

Also Ed, would you please explain to me how Claybuster can start with new plastic to make their wads and come out with wads made from recycled plastic. I don't understand.

Pat Ireland

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It's that there "new math" we lernt in skool.

Ed

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

For those of you who have no problems with the Claybuster line of wads I will Swap you bag for bag CB0178-12s (I have 2500 plus) for Downrange XXL pink or Cleardusters.

--- Chip King ---

15. Indyrun

Indyrun Member

Pat, sounds like we load the same type of shell. I use Clay Dot, Green Dot, and sometimes Red Dot with CCI, Federal, or Winchester primers and Verslite, Remington, and Claybuster Lightning wads. I had some 'older' brass Remington primers that don't ignite well and sounded kind of like a flintlock when I pulled the trigger, unfortunately enough powder burned to push the wad out of the barrel a few feet. Now as to your question about singles vs. handicap. I too have found this to be true. I think it is because we are standing too far back in the handicap competition. I'd bet if we moved up to the 17 or 18 yard line those singles and handicap scores would be much closer... -Mark

16. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

It would take extensive patterning with multiple varieties of guns to really prove anything. I think a lot of this comes from when the wad and/or mgf. was new & just hit the market & maybe was not made right or had recycle plastic.
    I have been reloading shotgun for 48 yrs. That said,I only use Rem,Fed,Win factory wads. I feel this way. They put the research into making sure that shell's componants are correct & proper for the hull so why not duplicate this as far as possible. Has ANYONE AT ALL,EVER cut open a factory new shell & found a D-Range or CB wad wad in it???????. And that said,when the tires on my new car wore out,I replaced them with a different brand & size. Life is odd & strange. Tom Lobonc.

17. capvan

capvan Active Member

Personally, I think the purple wads are the best. At least people ask me what wad I'm using when they see it.

18. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Perhaps the plastic build up that CB is becoming famous for it somewhat gun specific? In my Beretta combo, CB wads had a huge amount of plastic, DR had virtually none. In the new Infinity, I have been shooting my CB wads with 1-1/8 oz wads, and virtually no plastic built up. In my 391 Teknys, I had seen evidence of large plastic build up. Maybe CB wads just don't like Beretta barrels? Never shot a K, P or Kolar long enough to know, but looking forward to a MAX TA to try out one of these days.

19. maka

maka Member

Would'nt be nice if wad mfg. would insert a laser into each wad. That way we all could zerro in on our misses.

20. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

My MEC 9000 hates CB 5034 28 ga. wads. Columns buckle and petals fold. They also foul the Mobil chokes terribly. This is a recent phenomenon...It did not happen with the first 1,000 wads I loaded. I picked up some new stock and it's been nothing but trouble.

The WAA12 CBs have been fine for me in the 12 ga. on a MEC 9000 and do not seen to foul my Optima barrels appreciably more than any other brand.