1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smifshot, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

I'd like a good defination of a "cocked wad". If I've ever had one I did not know it but over the many years I have had shells that did not shoot right Please explain the "cocked wad". Stroker

2. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

My understanding of a cocked wad is that the wad goes in the hull crooked instead of straight.

Charlie

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Broken wad guide finger causes the wad to catch on the end of the shell and get twisted up. This will result in a poor seal over the powder. With luck, when this happens, the wad will not clear the barrel but it often does.

Stroker, if you have never had one, just keep reloading. One will come your way someday. Don't give up.

Pat Ireland

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Usually you get the added thrill of having shot spill all over you loading area because the cocked wad took up too much room in the hull. Even if you do get the round to crimp it probably won't look right and it deffinately won't shoot normally. One of the great pleasures of rolling your own ammo:)