1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by sean justice, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

whats a good clean wad for a 1oz and 7/8, dont need to be cheapest just best performer and clean, win hull. thanx

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Depending on your powder, either of the Duster wads are good. If using Ball powder, the Clear Duster works with 7/8 oz, and the Green Duster with the one ounce.

With the bulky powders I prefer, the Green duster works with 7/8 oz and the Blue Duster with the 1 oz.

There are many wads to fit your needs. Not all wads work well in the AA hull.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Remington TGT12, or clone, might also be a decent choice for both loads. I've used them for 1oz loads in the AA hull with good success. I have seen a few 7/8 oz loads listed for them. The Fedral 12S0 might also work, but I use them mostly in straight walled hulls. Some people have used them for both shot payloads with good results. Downrange offers the XXL series that are suppose dto work either way. I haven't had good results with these in AA hulls, but the few loads I tried might have been the reason and not the wads. I ran out of wads and saw no reason to continue trying them. I already have some decent loads with wads I already have handy.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sean- The hull you are using is very important in selecting a good wad. I will only use factory wads or a clone of factory wads. I do not like to stuff a wad that was specifically designed for one hull into another type of hull.

Pat Ireland

5. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Sean, check out Downrange's new 1oz Windjammer style, you might like 'em. I saw 'em at the Cardinal shoot and was impressed.

6. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

The green Remington tgt 12 in the Rem case for 1 oz. and in the AA for 7/8 oz. Now you always know what you have in your gun also. Bob

7. pudgie

pudgie TS Member

TRY CLAYBUSTER WAD CB0178-12(WAA12L CLONE) WITH 16.9 TO 17.5 CLAYS VERY CLEAN
    GOOD SHOOTING,ROGER NIX

8. pudgie

pudgie TS Member

I USE STS AND GUN CLUB HULLS WITH AA PRIMERS WITH LOAD I JUST POSTED

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

For 1oz, I use the Green Duster or Downrange XL-1. The Claybuster 1100 caused "buckling" of the AA hull due to catching on the two piece design.

I like the AA gray wad for 7/8 oz loads but it is a bit more money.

Don

10. laura!

laura! Member

I'm with Don. Claybusters cause "buckling" because they don't slide well into AA & STS hulls. Dusters are the way to go & generally require less powder cause they seal well.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

sean, you'll receive a recommendation for about every wad available. Most all will work just fine. As for Claybuster causing the AA hull to buckle, that is BS. Buy what ever you can get locally cheap, shipping cost is prohibitive.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I'm having good luck with the down range XXL (pink) wads for 7/8 and 1 Oz loads in STS hulls. This wad occupies alot of hull volume and you need a fairly dense powder like 700x to get a good fit with the 1Oz loads. The AA hulls have a bit less internal volume than the STS hulls so the XXL wads don't work so well for the 1 Oz loads in this case.

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Claybuster CB1100-12 and the WAA12SL will "cause" bnuckling of the AA hull if the press is not adjusted correctly. If using a MEC, just backing off on the cam a little bit will usually fix the problem. I quick call to Mec will get you working. If using something else, look at whatever adjustments you have and just back off a little on the crimp. The crimp starter also has to be set low enough to close the crimp a considerable amount. I set it so there is about a 3/16" hole in the center. You don't have to live with that problem if you want to use those wads.

14. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I use DR-XL1's and DRA-12 wads in AA hulls for 1 oz loads. The DR-XXL7/8 (neon pink) work well for 7/8 oz loads in STS/Nitro hulls.

15. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

what should i use red dot or clays, looking for clean, will be using AA because i have thousands, i just got a new mec 9000, new to loading , looking to stick with something proven and clean, was kinda a toss up between claybuster or downrange, want clean.

16. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Quack Shot, If the press is not adjusted properly the hull will buckle regardless of the wad used. The buckling comes from too much crimp or taper crimp pressure. How can the wad possibly cause the hull to buckle?

17. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

Consdiering the powder you mention, get an Alliant reloading guide, which has many recipes that you will find very useful. Personally I like using either the Downrange or Claybuster 12S0 with the Federal hull and the WAA12SL with the AA hull, both perform equally well for me. Winchester and Federal wads are a bit more pricey than the replacements offered by Claybuster and Downrange, with Downrange just a bit cheaper than Claybuster.