1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Franktri, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have been reloading with a MEC reloader and using Claybuster CB 1114-12 wads to go with my other reloading components. My question is this: I've been told that Windjammer wads contain a different material that does not foul up the chokes as much. Can anyone lend any credence to this?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I have had much better luck with DownRange wads as opposed to ClayBuster wads as far as plastic fouling goes. They also seem to run thru my loader much better.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Clay Buster wads are OK ... Downrange are better ... Spolar wads are the best!

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/thread.cfm?threadid=260905

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

DownRange makes the Spolar wads.

5. JJJ

JJJ TS Member

I use Downrange wads & they are excellent. Another advantage,when you have a problem,you can get right through to Kevin a very knowledgeable shooter-person.
    Joe Jordan

6. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

To answer your question, I've never heard that about the Windjammer type wads being made of different material and doubt that it's true. I've shot both Claybuster and Downrange wads and prefer Claybusters. I've never had any problems with significant plastic fouling from either brand.

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I am with Prarie Viper on this one, and Down Range makes the Spolar Wad but they cost .50 cents more per bag, you pay for the name like you pay more for the loader.

GB
    DLS

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I prefer DownRange as number 1 but never turn down a Clay Buster when it's the only choice. I well remember it was CB that kept the price of wads at a decent level way back when. Zero problems with either but the DR will go through the loader smoother.....breakemall

9. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Even though Downrange makes the Windjammer style for Spolar, it's not the same wad as their Orange 1 1/8oz Windjammer. I'm well into my second case of Kevin's orange Windjammer....the first & last. First off, there's no less plastic build-up with this wad vs their Fig-8 Rpl, perhaps, more. My other complaint is the fluorescent orange/red color. If you end up with one of %#$*&'ed things landing on the traphouse roof, imitating the rollers on a cop car, you'll understand my complaint. My next case will Dixsie's Gold WJ's.

best.....mike

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Duster and Downrange wads leave little residue in the barrel/choke. I give the edge to Duster for consistence and smoothness in going through the loader.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have long used Claybuster wads, and do not have the wad fouling so many gripe about, even though I have had and still have a variety of shotguns.

12. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I've been usong Claybusters sinc 1992 or close to that and really have not had any problems. Bulge.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have actually had better performance (consistency wise)from C.B.s than D.R.s. And as per prarieviper-- shooting coach & barrelbulge have NOT experienced any excessive wad fouling with either one. Have used many cases of C.B.s since first trying them in about 1994. Still using them. Also use OEM & have NO problems. Just my experience. Ross Puls

14. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Maybe hot loads melt plastic better?

I have no troubles with CBs