1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill D., Nov 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

11/8oz wads for remington gun club hulls. What do you like and why.

2. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Whichever wad that I can get the best deal on!

3. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

Claybuster Fig8 because that's what the recipe calls for.

Ted - Beavercreek, Oh

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Downrange clone of the Remington TGT-12s. I think its the DRRT12.

Because I use Hodgdon Titegroup for my 1-1/8 ounce loads, and its a very dense powder, and this 1 ounce wad works perfectly for that 1-1/8 ounce load.

Also, the TGT-12s is the wad Remington uses in their Nitro 27 shells, which, coincidentally, use a powder with properties very, very similar to Titegroup.

5. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Good choice Ted! Hope you and your family had a great holiday. Glenn Allison

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ahab- Using the wad you get the best deal on is a way to produce less than top quality reloads. I will only use a wad that is specifically designed for the hull I am loading.

Pat Ireland

7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Pat ... true ... BUT ... there are more than one manufacturer of wads for each type of hull.

Let's take AAs for example.

You can buy wads from Winchester, Downrange, Clay Buster, Spolar, etc. Quantitatively and qualitatively how much measured difference in performance is there between them?

8. tedingraham

tedingraham Member

Hi Glenn,

Did my first 25 straight round shooting registered at Middletown last month. Shot my reloads...gun clubs, fig8, green dot, win209 primers.

Say hi to Doug.

Ted - Beavercreek, OH

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Ahab, I also buy the best deal. As you already know, there is no real difference, except for the color. They are using eye catching colors now. It is like fishing lures.

10. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Remington fig. 8's and RXP 12's, for the most part reloading them in STS's, have loaded some in Gun Clubs with the same results. I shoot the Gun Club reloads mostly at places that hull are hard to retrieve (when shooting an autoloader) at 5 stand and sporting. In my area the factory Fig. 8's and the Claybuster 8's are close in price so I opt for the factory.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ahab- I read your post to suggest using the wad you find least expensive in any case even if the wad is not designed for that hull. I have known some reloaders to do that. I have tested a limited number of my AA reloads with Winchester and Claybuster wads that were a clone of the Winchester wads. I measured (actually had measured for me) the chamber pressures. That is the best indication of the effectiveness of the wad. The results showed no significant difference between the two brands. I usually reload Claybuster clones of the Winchester wad in AA hulls.

Pat Ireland