1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads- whats the difference

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mis-some, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mis-some

mis-some TS Member

I have been reloading for years. I have used factory wads, AA, Remington and have used Claybuster lately. I can't see any difference in any of them. Is there a difference? Does it really matter? I do like the fig.8 Remington with the stitched pedels, seem easier to use. What's your opinion.

2. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Assuming you load using published data, I think it makes less difference than many would have you believe. Of course, use tapered wads for tapered hulls, straight wads for straight walled hulls.

Some will say residue build-up in choke tubes is greater with some brands. I suspect that has more to do with the tubes than the wads. I had several 682s with the MC tubes that were hell for buildup, didn't matter which particular choke. Polishing them helped, but I got some Brileys as well that didn't get much plastic buildup at all. Now I use the factory tubes in my KX-5 and those aren't bad, my K-80 has fixed chokes, no problem there.

I use Blue Dusters mostly, for price and because they load easily on my PW.

3. IM390

IM390 Member

You have that all turned around. Wads have changed so dramatically in the last 20 years, you could be saying the same thing about chokes; what the difference? A choke is choke? right? The only good choke is a full choke. That idea came from a time when we were putting a shot cup on top of a piece of cork. Why are chokes so important today if you only need full? Wads will only be good for you if you use them just like you use chokes. Study their benefits and apply that to your needs. For your information I have a 23 average shooting IC at 16 yard trap while using a windjammer wad. Now if it doesn't make any difference, please explain what I'm doing wrong!

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

IM390, please explain what you said.

Buz

5. bigben

bigben Active Member

Buz, what im390 is trying to tell you is that he is a decent class D shooter who wants to stay there , therefor he uses an IC choke rather than an IM or the much preferred full choke.. incinerate em!

6. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

LOL Ben! I see you are on a roll early this morning! Tom Rhoads

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wads are an important reloading component. They should seal the expanding gases without producing excessive pressure. To do this effectively, the wad must fit the hull. Tapered hulls require a tapered wad, straight walled hulls should be loaded with a straight walled wad. I will only use a wad that is specifically designed for the hull and shot charge I am loading.

Pat Ireland

8. HOT-HAMMER

HOT-HAMMER TS Member

whats the best sealing wad for the .750 bore? I load AA hulls...Rick

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Federal works for a lot of people, Rick. Just match them to a straight-walled hull.

Neil

10. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Does anybody have a side-by-side photo comparison of a tapered wad vs a straight wad? I never knew there was a difference. Dave T.

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have heard that some barrels shoot specific wads/loads better than others. For instance, I was told that Alfermann designed the barrels for Remington Nitro 27 and light handicap loads, while Seitz uses Winchester Super Handicap.
    If such were the case, you would want to use that respective manufacture's wad for reloads. My K-gun always shot Rem's best for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.