1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads that open or close a pattern.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trail, Mar 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trail

Trail Active Member

I have a fixed choke trap gun. I'd like to be able to close my pattens up a bit for practice and then open slightly for league scores. Are there specific wads that close or open a pattern like this?

thanks,
    Trail

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The short answer is no, not really. Not 'tighten.' Not in any predictable, repeatable and significant fashion anyhow.

The several designs of 'Post' wads will open the pattern up a bit ... maybe a choke number ... number & ½?

Have you thought abt practicing with ¾ or 7/8oz? Smaller shot charges reward better pointing.

Bob

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

You can select your reloads with care, and achieve relatively more open or closed patterns according to Bob Brister's "Shotgunning the Art and the Science." For two loads with the same muzzle velocity, the one with the lower pressure will tend to have smaller patterns. For two loads that operate at the same pressure, the higher muzzle velocity load will tend to have a more open pattern.

4. ctreay

ctreay Member

Bob K has it pretty much like what I have found. I load 17.5 gr 700X and I find that if I increase the load by 1/2 gr it opens up the pattern.

ctreay

5. Trail

Trail Active Member

Thanks, guys. So...I've been using the windjammer-style wads because I think the 8 peddle opens up and leaves the shot column a just bit quicker...slightly more open pattern. Sounds like this is not really valid....correct?

Trail

6. JLSIMON

JLSIMON Member

I wondered the same thing. Used my standard 1 1/8oz 16yd load of 16.5 grains of 700x in either a STS or AA hull, W209 primer and either a CB AA clone or CB Windjammer clone. (Both published IMR loads). The Windjammer was noticably more open. Not a great amount but you could see it on the patterning board. There was a hotter core with the CB AA.

Jim

7. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Down Range Mfg. makes a post wad that will open up your pattern. Lots of sporting clays shooters use that wad when a more open pattern is desired.

8. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

I have never used a "post wad" but the other wads mentioned will not change the pattern. Certainly, 1/2 gr won't change the pattern either, that is baloney. The reloader alone can vary the shells by .4 grains. + or -.2

Trail, If you have a full choke just shoot it and forget about gimmicks.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

What Johnny said.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I use the Windjammer for extremely long shots as well as short or close shots, do not notice any difference, good breaks at any distance if I do my job.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Some will argue about load combinations being the center of the reloading universe. I think a lot of this comes from rifle and handgun reloading. IMO, the choke does most of the work in determining your pattern. If you want tighter then you need a tighter choke.

To follow up, in my patterning research with my guns, the effects of load components is secondary to what choke tube, or what fixed choke you select. I do feel like I get the best patterns with the TGT12S wad in my gun. But like I said, that is a MUCH smaller effect than say the difference between a Modified and a Full choke.

12. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

Would you bet on a 2-cent wad or a $2500.00 (more or less) barrel?? Ask Neil Winston. I think he might go with the barrel and choke!........merlyn

13. MW58

MW58 Member

You can contact your reloading supplier and ask them if they sell any type of "long range" wads. These wads are designed for waterfowl hunters who reload thier own hunting loads. The wad fingers dont open so quickly, so the wad stays with the shot column longer. These wads usually have a heavier pay load like 1.25 oz. and higher, which in turn would not be cost effective when it comes to reloading for shooting trap. Though it wouldn't hurt to inquire.

14. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

Spreader wads can work very well. Full story:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=250698

Andrew.

15. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Just shoot the birds...............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.