1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads & Patterns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by digger1dog, Nov 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

I have been wondering how different wads effect patterns? I have used Windjammers with 700X for years thinking is there a better wad to use? Any thoughts prior to buying a selection and hitting the patterning board?

Fred J.

2. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Up for Neil to help?

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

digger1dog, I'm sorry, but you'll have to try it for yourself. You'll find people in both camps here. Discarding the bozos who never patterned, but opine anyway based on their breaks, you really do get two different takes on the subject.

If your particular barrel(s) is the forgiving kind, you will not see much difference worth mentioning. 3%-5% tops. If you are lucky you'll find one or a few that pattern more evenly that the rest.

If you have finicky barrels, you will count 100,000 holes before you can honestly say, ...my barrel(s) like these four loads, all the time.

I've owned both types of barrels. First I started with an O/U field gun I wanted to use for everything. I tried every powder and wad I could buy or import, in temps from 9 deg F to 95 deg F. There were huge differences in performance.

Later, I bought an O/U "trap" gun. Nothing fazed it. Pretty much anything you fed it was going to give you 82% patterns from the bottom and 86% patterns from the top barrel. So if you had asked me previously whether wads/powder makes a difference, I'd have said YES! If I'd only ever patterned the trap gun, I'd have said NO!

A later combo that was very finicky and two "nice" barrels later, I have the same opinion. You never know, and no one can tell you, until you try it for yourself.

Even with software that eliminated the tedium of counting holes by hand, patterning is a laborious and boring process. To minimize the number of trials, there are a few things you can try first.

List the components you have on hand, or what you plan to use, and I'll suggest a few "keepers" to try. I've been traveling, so it may take a day before I can respond.

4. KelleyPLK

KelleyPLK TS Member

Went to GAnder Mountain Shot 49.99 per bag
    wads 10.88 pr 500
    Powder was expensive
    primers 37.50 pr 1000
    Shells are cheaper to buy at 6.49 per box .

I bought some blue duster wads 7.99 wonder how they are /

Pat Kelley

5. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I will build on zzt,

Every barrel is a law onto itself, when you say it can or can't be done, there will be a barrel right around the corner waiting to trip you up, shoot them at something, Pattern them, and best of all enjoy the shooting.

Al

6. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

My personal experiance with BLUE duster wads is they make you're normal choke 2 chokes tighter. In other words you won't be needing a FULL choke again. That was in my Beretta 682 34" barrel.

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

hoggy, I just loaded a 100 rounds with Blue Dusters to test. How did you determine that the wad equated patterns to 2 chokes tighter? Hap

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Hap- If I shoot the wads through my full choke gun, what actual choke would I be suing? Could he have possibly meant to say that with the wads you will shoot very well until you choke on the last two targets?

Al- You stated that "every barrel is a law into itself". This sounds like a comment made by the late Don Z. Don could write well and he was published in many magazines including Trap and Field. Regrettably, much of the "facts" he included in his writings could never be confirmed by others. I talked with Don a few times and my conclusion was that he did have many ideas that he published as facts but never got around to testing them.

Pat Ireland

9. Big Az Al

Pat,

That is a saying, that I have heard all my life, from pistolsmiths, riflesmiths and even some world class rifle shots,why else will a rifle shot capable of winning thousend yard matchs almost on demand, when he rebarrels start with ten Identical barrels of the highest grade? because he knows there is one that will meet his demands and 9 that only come close, even when the there is no physical diferrance that can be detected in any of them, this crosses over into all barrels for any type of firearm.

Also

When P O Ackley, wanted to prove that the relitive merits of larger and larger rifle cartridges were so much fluff he always used one barrel all the way thru the teasts, "to elimenate the real possibility that the he would un into one barrel that would screw up the results",

Is the law proveable? Maybe not. Do things happn that support the law? YES

Al

10. Big Az Al

Pat,

That is a saying, that I have heard all my life, from pistolsmiths, riflesmiths and even some world class rifle shots,why else will a rifle shot capable of winning thousend yard matchs almost on demand, when he rebarrels start with ten Identical barrels of the highest grade? because he knows there is one that will meet his demands and 9 that only come close, even when the there is no physical diferrance that can be detected in any of them, this crosses over into all barrels for any type of firearm.

Also

When P O Ackley, wanted to prove that the relitive merits of larger and larger rifle cartridges were so much fluff he always used one barrel all the way thru the teasts, "to elimenate the real possibility that the he would un into one barrel that would screw up the results",

Is the law proveable? Maybe not. Do things happn that support the law? YES

Al

11. digger1dog

digger1dog Member

Wow this got deep! I was looking for wads that you guys use with 700X for 16 yard targets? Any spectacular results?

12. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I use 700X, 1 oz of 8's and a Claybuster wad. The pink Winchester clone. They work fabulous, but do see evidence that plastic build up is greater with Claybuster than the OEM Winchester wads I was using. Kevin has sent me a couple of samples of Downrange wads, and they work terrific, load smooth. I will switch to those once I go through the 90 gazillion CB's I bought.

I have about 10,000 1-1/8 oz white Winchester CB clones also, but have found 1 oz to be plenty from the 16. If someone in the Reno area is interested, I would sell you my 1-1/8 at a slightly less than market price.

Drop me an email dropping the xx's of course if interested, and we can setup a time when I get up to Reno next.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.