1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WADS Maybe Again

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by BSAMX, Jun 16, 2017.

1. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

This is from 175 rounds today in my bottom barrel which I shot CB wads. I only shot 50 DR's from my top barrel and I do not have an opinion yet but that will change next weekend with a round of doubles and 3 handicap rounds All the black is plastic that did not stick in my spiral brush which is full. IMG_2203.JPG

2. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

I will say I recovered 3 of the DRs from the pattern board and they looked better than the CBs did. Whats that mean, probably nothing but...

Speaking of pattern 7-1/2 were not great with a few flyers, 8's looked very good, fairly even with no hot spot.

3. Swiper77

Swiper77 TS Member

Not only will the Downrange wads not plastic foul like the CB's I cant remember the last folded petal I had to dig out. +1 for Downrange.

mg1polo thanked this.
  4. beetledude

beetledude Active Member

that is a crazy amount of material left in the barrel. I use CB wads and don't have the same issue. Perhaps it has something to do with the smoothness of the barrel or load you are using? One of the guys I shoot with alternates between a beretta and a CG. He tells me that the beretta barrel is significantly easier to clean because it is so smooth. just guessing here....

5. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Possible, but as I mentioned, there was no residue in the top barrel (which I only shot DR in). That said, I am running 700X with the CB's and Green Dot with the DR's but I don't have the issue with 700X and AA wads..............

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

Re: The difference in pattern: What kind of shot are you using?

7. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Both are Hot Shot out of UT......

8. bearflanks

bearflanks TS Member

I stopped using CB because of the plastic fouling (last year) and switched to Rem TGT 8 (power piston) for the hotter 1 1/8 oz loads.
    It is a great wad and it stopped the plastic fouling. The draw back is the $16/500. Now I'm looking at Downrange wads, cheaper
    price and little fouling -- it may be the way to go.

9. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Okay, now I'm at a loss. I purchased a bag of DRA12 "red" which is the 12SL equal. No, nada, nix, nay, nein. Not even close when compared to a CB-1100 or AA12SL side-by-side. With 700X, 1/8-3/16 dish with 16.4 gr and 1 oz of 8-1/2.

That said, with 20 gr or Green Dot they are fine but I'm not looking for 1300 fps+ varmint loads, I have a 220 Swift for that. I'm sure they will work with Red Dod in the 1145+ range but the pressures are approaching 11K..not interested.

So, the dilemma. I do not like reloading powder that runs like water (WST, Tightgroup) in anything but my Dillon but I am sick of the extra wad cleaning.

Suggestions.........

10. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

I am using the F8 for HDCP and second shot on singles.......they are working well with my loads as long as I am using #8. I seem to have gotten a bad lot of #7-1/2 as they all look deformed....hmmm.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017 at 9:32 AM
  11. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you mean the DRA 12 "PINK? There is NO DRA 12 "RED"
    MG

12. mg1polo

DRXL1

13. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

DRA Pink are no
    DRA12 pink are now red...very red, and they say "AA12SL" on the bag....

14. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Been there, done that...traded for the DRA12.

I have the XL1, Pink (red), CB-1100 12 and the AA12SL. The CB and AA12SL are the same, load the same but the other two are not close.

15. av24out25

av24out25 Member

Down range wades will change your mind for ever and you will never go back to CB wades. clean less shoot more.

mg1polo thanked this.
  16. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Went away from Hot Shot the quality took a nose dive. Total garbage imo

17. mg1polo

Sounds like your going to need the WAA12 L wad. That's the tallest of them all.
    Unfortunately the load you have chosen uses a very small amount of 700x which is quite
    dense. I would call Kevin at Downrange and ask for his suggestions. He is a wealth
    of knowledge and always willing to help with these issues.
    Good Luck,
    MG

18. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Out of over 100 bags this year that was the only size and bag I found that had deformed pellets. 6's, 8's, 9's and even the one bag of 10's I was playing with looked and performed great.

19. BSAMX

BSAMX Member

Good suggestion, I will call and chat with him as I am looking for a wad for that specific load

20. mg1polo

Good Luck!
    MG