1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads for steel shot now widely available

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Feb 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Naperville, IL
    I just purchased a case of VP60 wads from Ballistic Products for $151.92. This includes the $9 shipping special.

This is a pretty darn good price as our club has purchased these wads from the mfr in Denmark for about the same total price of $150 per case. The case size is slightly smaller from BP at 5500 per case (2.7 cents per wad) versus 6000 (2.5 cents per wad), but the case will be dropped at my doorstep. I think it's a good deal because the effort involved in receiving shipments from overseas is alot of work. That work doesn't have to be absorbed by club members any longer.

Go to the BP website, scroll down to the Helarco Wads link, Steel Shot Wads, then all the way down to the case price listings and item '222VP60C'.

BP has recipes as well.

I just sent some samples loaded with Solo 1250 to Western Powders for testing. 1250 is a single base powder which is what these wads were developed for in Europe. The double base powders in the US stress the powder cup to its bursting point. Once in a while you get a poofer load at the lower grain amounts. I've asked Western to return some sample spent wads along with the data. We'll see what the roof of the powder cup looks like. US powders we've used are Universal Clays and Longshot.

There's nothing like white bio degradable smoke against a pitch black sky at night. You can even see some red in it from the target coloring when you're dead on. Yes, this is with steel.

Steel is mandated at our club by the hosting agency - the city Park District. Lead is better, but if you must shoot steel, this is the way to go.

Later, Joe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.