1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads for steel shot now widely available

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Let me be sure to say this up front. I prefer lead shot and shoot it whenever I can. Our club in Naperville was mandated to use steel several years ago, so we've looked into it to a significant degree. I do not shoot steel at lead based clubs.

The good news is, if you must shoot steel shot at trap targets, you can get wads by the case at a reasonable price. Ballistic Products has the VP60 (1 oz steel) at a case price of $142.93. That's for 5,500 wads as listed in the link above. Their catalog says 6,000 per case. We paid $150.00 per 6,000 piece case all the way from Denmark the last time we ordered, but had to do the work of importing the things. It's alot of work. I don't know what the shipping is from BPI.

Shot is still $1 a pound and has been for years. See Irvin Industries at http://www.ervinindustries.com. Call 'em. We use #7. We order by the ton, 3-4 tons per year. Get together with your friends and make it happen.

Recipes can be had from Ballistic Products. Give them a call. We use Longshot and Universal Clays and other widely available components. 1225 fps of 1 oz steel will smoke targets real well. White smoke from bio targets ground with steel shot is still smoke.

Concerned about gun damage? Get yourself a steel shot rated choke. They're avaible too. Or get a barrel for steel shot, which are really for hunting with steel. The steel we shoot, reloads or factory, have yet to cause a problem.

The wads have extra thick petals. If you pick them up in our field you'll see the shot does NOT poke through the plastic and scratch the barrel. I will personally mail a used wad to anyone who wants proof the shot does not poke through the petals.

Smoke 'em.

Joe

2. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Hope lead bans don't come any time soon, but glad you've forged the trail for us if it comes to that.

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Joe, All this information helps. I shoot lead but you never know whats going to happen these days. Thanks Dave

4. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

Very good information. thank you.

Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.