1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads for steel shot at Sky-Way in FL?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

What wads are used at Sky-Way in FL?

I really want to get ahold of some of the STS wads for steel shot that Remington used a few years ago in a true steel target load. But I need a contact person inside Remington.

The new Win wad just out is falling apart upon use - at least at 1325 fps we're finding pieces out in the field. Maybe they'll hold together at slower speeds.

Downrange seems to be on hold in their efforts to produce a wad for steel, at least that's what the guys from the club who went to the Grand are reporting. Hope it isn't true.

Gualandi wads are still an option direct from the factory to lower the price, but they are for straight walled hulls, not the STS tapered hulls which most of our guys use.

Vagners from Denmark tend to blow through the powder cup because of the thin roof on the cup. I solved this for myself by using a cooler primer, the Remington versus the Win 209. However, the Rems are expensive. I've not shot a cleaner steel reload.

Ideas? Our club looks to run out of wads late Spring. 10 cases left down from 36.

The real problem is finding something reasonably priced, which I consider to be 3 cents a piece.

Thanks - Joe

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I don`t intend to use steel in the near future but can`t the 1 1/4 or 1 3/8 wads be used for steel shot reloading ?? What is needed to throw 1 oz steel -- seems like a larger capacity wad ?? I have many of them and should hold on to them just in case !!!

3. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Joe -

I was told they were using the "brown" Winchester wad, whatever that is.

BTW, 13 cases of wads left as of Thursday.

Scott

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

contact shane naylor @ remington, he can probably help

shane.naylor@remington.com

6. joe kuhn

ljutic 111 - Lead wads can have petals too thin to protect your barrel completely. Some guys don't care about scratches in this case and will put up with the few they'll get by shooting a 1-3/8 oz lead wad with 1 oz of steel. Toughness of the plastic also has an effect. Remington's steel wads have thin petals, but they are a harder plastic. You'll probably want to shoot a few and hold them up to the light to see if the steel wore a hole in the wad on it's path down your bbl.

Scott - We're actually down to 10. Those 3 layers on the pallet in the back are 2 cases per layer, unless my left eye is screwing up now too.

Ah, the brown Winchester wad is a lead wad with the longest petals available. I have one in my collection. Thanks.

And thanks for that leede at Remington. (shane . naylor @ remington . com) I'm not sure if our club wants me to continue working on this beyond my tenure as a director, which ends next month. I'll ask at the next meeting. It does tie up some cash, but it does all come back in the end, unlike the depreciation on trap machines. I believe we've sold more steel shot this year than ever before. I'm checking with the club Treasurer.

Thanks - Joe

7. joe kuhn

Club purchases:

2003 – 2 tons

2004 – 1 ton

2005 – 2 tons

2006 – 2 tons

2007 – 2 tons

2008 – 4 tons

Email sent to Remington.

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe...

I'll trade you 2000 Winnies for 1800 Remmies,

Jay

9. joe kuhn

I'm low myself.

I did email Shane at Remington and he said no on the wads. He didn't really explain why.

Just emailed Tom Armbrust to get contact info for the guys at Winchester who developed their new steel target load: Mike Jordan and Morris Buenemann. Tom's article on steel shot target loads mentioned them and Tom has great references at the big companies. I may just go to the Win site and email the general address.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Joe:

I have a handful of Remington STS Steel shells from days gone bye... they're yours for your research if you want them.

BTW, I meant if you had some Winnies, I'd trade my Remmies to you...

Jay

11. joe kuhn

Yes, I'll trade you my W209s for your R209s. Thanks.

Looks like I'll have to call Win and just ask for one of the guys who developed their new steel shell.

12. joe kuhn

Shane says they're out. Still looking.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

14. joe kuhn

Will try Chris Carson at Remington next. Then maybe Scott Hanes. Heard Remington isn't the mfr on their STS steel wads. Will try to find out who makes them. I'll bet it's an exclusive relationship, but those things can be time limited.

Heard a rumor Federal has a new steel shell coming out with a new wad. Heard this from Steve Crow at Crow Shooting Supply.

15. joe kuhn

Recobs says there will be an announcement about something new for steel shot target shooters at the Shot Show in Jan. I will call them back the last week of that month.

Also heard that Remington won't release anything for steel shot reloading because of the risk involved in substituting steel for lead in a lead recipe. Mec used to sell steel reloading components, but got out of the business when they discovered the liability. Remington agreed.

I've ordered a new wad for 15/16 oz of steel from Ballistic Products. It's TPS #41. I'm just trying a bag of them and they come with recipes. Expensive, but I'm going to check them out.

Scott - I think it's a brown Federal wad. The Win 1-1/4 wad is yellow.

Regards, Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.