1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wads for Cheddites?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

Just acquired some primed Cheddite hulls.
    I normally reload rems and AAHS hulls.
    What wad for cheddites?
    CB2100-12 or CB6100-12?
    I plan to use either Clays or Green Dot.
    Thanks

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

This is a straight walled hull, similar to Fed Gold Medals. You will need to use something similar to the federal wad or one designed for straight walled hulls. I have heard others use the Winchester or clone style wad, but you may not get the correct seal and get funny sounding shells.

Bryan

3. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Alliant powder lists the 12SO for Cheddite cases to load 1 oz.

I use the Downrange XXL Orange 12S0 equivalence wad in a Fiocchi case for 24 gram (7/8) with excellent results(using the Alliant recipe for same). One especially nice feature of the XXL wad is the anti-powder migration rings, one of the few US wads that use them. The wad was made by Downrange for straight-wall cases and has a 0.717 overpowder cup diameter (http://www.downrangemfg.com). As Calkidd says, using wads with smaller OP cup diameters can allow powder migration-caused pookies.

Alliant also lists several wads for 1 1/8 oz loads . . .

An alternative is to buy the Ballistic Products reloading manual along with some Gulandi or B&P ($$$) wads.

- - Bill

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Pookies......Hahaha....I like that one.

Bryan

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bryan.... I reload Estates and Federal Top Guns, which are both straight walled hulls, with the Downrange XL blue 11/8oz. wad. While the XL is a tapered wad, the deeper powder cup allows for expansion of the base of the wad to seal just fine. I shoot them through a Seitz back bored barrel that mic's .740". I spoke with Kevin, at Downrange about this combination and he told me it is a perfect combination, as is the Downrange Versalite.... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

6. lesharris2305

lesharris2305 TS Member

I have used the CB6100 wads, Claydot powder, cheddite primers and 1 oz. of shot. No chrono but loads shot well and broke clays.
    Les.

7. trw

trw Member

RC,

Either of the wads you list will work just fine. I've loaded thousands of the Cheditte hulls w/both. Never an issue; same may be said for the DR XXL wad. Another wad that I like [for 24gram/7/8oz loads] is the VP05 that Ballistic products sells.

FWIW, I use MEC loaders & because most of the Cheditte hulls I'm reloading are from once fired Clever Mirage ammo & have 6 pointed crimps, I have to set the crimp finish cam down some to get the hull's end perfectly rounded. Its less an issue to none at all w/8 pointed crimps, but the Cheditte hulls that I have seen w/8pt. crimps seem to always have the thinner and thus less durable plastic in their walls or tubes. I usually load the Clever Mirage hulls twice & discard on the second reload. 8pt Chedittes, I reload once & discard them afterwards as they seldom go two reloads and its not worth the hassle dismantling them when the mouth splits or the tube buckles trying to get a second reload out of them.

Best, tw

8. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

straight walled for all cheddite hulls. Kemen, Rio, Wolf, etc... use the knock off Federal wads from DR or Claybuster and you should be good to go.

Use a euro primer too. Americans will be too small.

Watch the crimp too. some are 8 some are 6.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cb6100 cheddite

cb6100-12

cb6100-12 wads hodgdon powders
cheddite wads
claybuster wad for straght walled hulls
claybuster wads cheddite hulls
wads cheddite
what are cb6100-12 wads similar to