1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

* Wads for a Spolar Gold Loader*

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shotgunner, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

I typically load a Winchester AA SL ( Pink) wad on my Spolar loader. The petals on many of the wads are not spread open and catch on the ram tube as it seats the wad. Is there a wad that works better on a Spolar...one that the petals are more open. Been thinking about trying Windjammers. My typical load is 1 oz. shot, 17.8 gr of Clays, Winchester 209.

Thanks
  2. Didreckson

Didreckson Member

I had the same issue with CB pink 1 oz clone wads. The petals were seemingly packed warm and they collapsed so to speak.

I have heard you could run them in a pillow in your clothes dryer and they would open up. Never tried it, but read it on this site, and it sounded reasonable.

Using Clays, I would change to DownRange XL-1 or Windjammer clone and see how that works for you. I love the slicker plastic and the wads are all open and ready to use when I dump the bag. If you use a dense powder like E3 or 700X, you might have a concave crimp, but Clays I think would be terrific.
  3. chipking

chipking TS Member

One of the changes that Spolar has recently made is to replace the 12ga shot drop tube with a 20ga shot drop tube. I though my #625 worked pretty good with an occasional petal catch on claybuster 12-078 and the winchester AA12SL but after I put the 20ga drop tube on man what an improvement. You will still find the occasional wad by any manufacturer that is just so warped that nothing helps but this one small change does help.

--- Chip King ---
  4. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

Chip,

Does Spolar trade tubes with you ?
  5. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Had the same problem with Dusters. Spolar sent me a 20 gs drop tube (charged me of course), and it seems to have gotten the problem down to acceptable levels (maybe 1 per 300). Frankly, you could use a 28 ga tub for that matter. I did try windjammers and had a problem with them seating properly in my AA hulls.

Other than that, I love my Spolar.
  6. idoc

idoc Member

Have had the same problem. Can't wait to throw my 20 gauge tube in. What a great site
  7. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I had the same problem with the Downrange XXL 7/8 oz. pink wads. Thanks for enlightening me about the 20g shot drop tube. I'll be gettin' me one of those. J
  8. chipking

chipking TS Member

shotgunner no they charge you for the tube but it really isn't much.

--- Chip King ---
  9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hmmm ... you have a Spolar loader ... but don't use the best wads ... Spolar Gold?
  10. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Active Member Supporting Vendor

Take your wads and put them in clothes dryer for ten minutes on low heat. This will return the petals to the original "memory" . Then run the dryer for another ten minutes on air dry. This will allow the wads to cool off and retain their open petals.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212
  11. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mike- I will be at the Dixie Grand. Can I bring down a bunch of wads and put them in your clothes dryer?

Pat Ireland
  12. hmb

hmb Active Member

The new Remington TGT12S wad has the top of the petals stitched together, seems to have solved the petal problem. HMB
  13. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

FYI, the Spolars made from #1686 and on had the 20 gauge shot drop tube installed in them. Mine was #1617 so I need to get one if I'm going to continue to use Downrange wads. J
  14. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Well-Known Member

Be aware of bridged shot with the 20 GA drop tubes! I've had a few!!
  15. three-reloaders

three-reloaders TS Member

I put 1000 wads loose in dryer for three minutes and take them out and put them in paper ream box and leave cover off for awhile. works great.
  16. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

olliedawg, what's bridged shot? J
  17. hmb

hmb Active Member

Shot gets stuck half way down the tube, and all or some doesn't get to the shell. HMB
  18. JerryP

JerryP TS Member

Look at the different wads mentioned here. They ALL have this problem to some degree. Just put em in the dryer. No need to change loader parts.
  19. AveragEd

AveragEd Active Member

I had the same concern with wad petals getting caught by the shot drop tube on my RBCS Grand and when I suggested a 20-gauge tube to RCBS, they sent me one to try. It worked great except for 7-1/2 shot bridging on occasion.

Loaders that drop the shot at a separate station from the one where the wad is seated is especially prone to catching the petals with the drop tube.

Ed
  20. lju

lju Member

One thing I did on mine was whenever I replace a wad guide I trim about 1/16" off the bottom of each finger, esentially making the wad guide a little shorter. This keeps the bottom of it from hitting on the top of the shell when turning into the shell. This helped quite a bit. I too have run many a mesh laundry bag full of wads through the dryer for a few minutes, this really does work.

Also just recently I purchased another case of CB2118-12 (Fed 12S3 clone) and the inside of the shot cup now has a rib on the inside of each pedal to help keep it straight. New and improved design? Seems to work well, at least on the first 500 that I have loaded.

lju #441
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.