1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wads...do you notice a difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by DaveXT, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Do you notice a difference in the pattern from various wads or do they pattern about the same?

Dave

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do I get a good powder burn and does my loading machine like the wad. Those are the two things that interest me. HMB

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

The wad makes a small difference, but other factors such as the way the wad interacts with different hulls, powder, load formula and how it interacts with a particular choke absolutely make a larger difference.

It may not be a large percentage variation between many of the possible combinations, but it is there. The wad composition and configuration directly effect pressure and velocity, therefore effecting pattern.

Almost all of the barrel smiths will tune the barrel and choke to a specific "favorite" load, and the manufacurers are paying closer attention now.

Not a huge difference for sure, say half a percent at least - like the difference between a 199 and 200 straight. GAP

4. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I have done some pattern testing with three wads.... all of the same configuration really...

1 1/8 oz wads

Winchester WAA12 -- Claybuster CB1118 -- Downrange DRA12

They all three load the same with great ease in AA hulls, STS hulls and Nitro Hulls (and even Gun Clubs).

However, to me, the relationship of wad to hull (all other things being equal) is the variable in the testing. You have to shoot quite a few tests to get a sense of the pattern. Changing shot from 8 to 7.5 can show some differences. But all and all, those three above mentioned wads perform nearly the same at the board with a given hull and shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.