1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WADS & BACKBORING

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by coffee, Oct 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coffee

coffee Member

Has anyone done tests on which WADS work better in BACKBORED guns?
    Exmp. .737 to .740 Neil Pat ZZT

Thanks COFFEE

2. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Coffee... You won't have to be too concerned with wads with a .740" or less barrel. I have a .742" Perazzi, and just about all wads work well with it. If there is one wad that I, personally, feel is better than any other, it is the Downrange Versalite 11/8oz. handicap wad. Wads should not become an issue until you reach limits beyond .750" or so, especially with the Baker Big Bore .800" barrels.... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I've done little with wads, coffee, and found less there. Watching shoot-offs and what people are shooting successfully (many with backbored guns), there seem to a lot of wads that work fine in them. All of them, apparently.

Neil

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

As long as the over powder skirt of the wad is long enough and flexible enough to seal the burning powder behind the wad, there should not be a problem in the barrel. If the barrel becomes too large (around .775) or the skirt becomes too short (easily shortened with sandpaper) gas will escape from behind the wad and bad things will begin to happen.

Pat Ireland

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Like TMB99 I shoot 20 ga. target loads in my BT-99 and TMX using a 2 3/4" long adapter. The powder is Win. WSF and a AA20 wad behind 7/8 oz. of lead. Never have had a blooper and my scores do not change much either. Shoot with a guy that does the same for practice doubles. No problems there either.

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Won't make a bit of difference. A few years back, one of the gun rags ran a test of sub-caliber chamber inserts and found that with a few exceptions, going a gauge down still had enough expansion to seal the bore...they shot sixteens in a ten, twenties in a twelve, and if I remember right, the twenty eights and fourtens didn't seal in the twelve. You're only talking about twenty or so thousandths so don't spend your time worrying about that...just worry about how we can keep our guns and enjoy shooting them in the future.

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

coffee, I have very little data on the subject. I only use four wads. They are 12S0, TGT-12, Fig-8 and DRM Windjammer. Here is what I can tell you from measurement or observation.

My handicap load using STS hull, Am Sel and Fig-8 produces 20fps more velocity in a .740" barrel than it did when the barrel was .732". Temps both times were 85deg. Humidity was 5% lower for the second test. I don't know whether to attribute the increase to the unusually smooth bore, the larger diameter, the slightly changed forcing cone profile, or the new choke profile. The new choke is slightly tighter, so that may be a small part of it. At any rate, I can say that the wad is obturating to seal the bore, or I would be getting less velocity, not more. The same load performs well out of my .745" unsingle barrel as well.

My favorite 1 oz load of STS hull, STS209 primer, 16gr e3, TGT-12 and 1 oz shot was squeaky clean in six .732" barrels, even in winter. Now, once the temps got down into the 70s, it is dirty in both .740" barrels and even dirtier in the .745" barrel. I haven't chronoed this load in the new barrels, so I don't know what the velocity is. I'm guessing the low pressure (7970psi- Alliant) may not obturate the wad enough.

Anecdotally, from the 25 yard line, my handicap load from the bottom bunker barrel breaks targets with more authority using Fig-8 wads than Windjammers. Previous testing told me there was virtually no difference in patterns between these wads. So now I'm going to have to find out if changes made to the barrel, cones and choke profiles made a difference, or whether I'm seeing things.

At any rate, I agree with a lot of the posters above. As long as you keep you pressures up, I don't think you will have a problem with any modern wad in a backbored barrel, unless you go crazy with the backboring.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The wad does make a difference in a .745 barrel. Two that give inconsistent results, bloopers, in my barrel are the Windjammer and RXP. Green and Blue Dusters, Winchester AA 12s and Downrange work very well.

9. IM390

IM390 Member

I now shoot a 391 Sporting Urika with optima 28 inch back bored barrel. In comparison I also have shot a Model 12 trap; and a "390" and an older 391 Duck Unlimited which both use mobile chokes. I've found through lots of patterning that backbored barrels allow the wad to control the pattern better that any choke ever did. This allows you to experiment and find the best combination that you like rather than what the gun wants to shoot. My favorite trap load is a 1 1/8 AA with 17 grains of Red Dot, Federal 209A and a Down Range Windjammer. I shoot that load with IM all the way back to 25 yards.

10. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

This is strictly "someone told me he said this" information, never heard it from him personally since I have never spoken with him; he said Tom Wilkinson liked Federal 12 S3 wads for back bored barrels. I do like their wad but I mainly load Remington or Downrange replacements.

Charlie

Please disregard this information if you do not like here-say information .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are there wads that seal better in over bored barrels