1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

wad ????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bens gun, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Loading 17 gr. red dot , using 1 1/8 shot . W.jammer doesnt list AA 2 piece case/inner base, is there a problem using that wad with that load ? thanks

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Alliant lists a load for Win AA hulls (1- or 2-piece, doesn't matter), 17 grn Red Dot, a Federal 209A primer and the WJ wad for 1145 fps and 9000 psi.<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

They list several for the Federal GM straight wall hull but not for 17 grn. of powder. The closest is 1090 fps using 17.5 grn. of Red Dot.

MK

3. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Thanks for the info. A shooter at the range told me that wj wad used in a2 piece hull AA would cause the inner base to blow out.. I am using a w 209 in place of the fed 209 because i have alot of them. What change will it make in the performance with the w209 ?

4. Unknown1

Logic makes me want to say that the load should be slower with the WW 209 primer.

But experience has shown me that changing primers doesn't always produce the results you expect. So I'll tell you honestly that I don't know for sure what the effect will be and I won't guess just to give you an answer. I'm just going to recommend that you stick with the published data and not substitute components just because it's convenient for you to do it.

MK

5. Bens gun

Bens gun TS Member

Thanks, I appreciate your responce. Keep it safe !

6. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Alliant's Reloader's Guide, that has "Over 125 Years of Experience" on the cover; has with Win AA hull, Windjammer Wad, 1 1/8 oz shot, Win 209 primer, 17.5 gr Red Dot will produce 1145 f/s and 9300 psi.

If you got the 2 piece Win AA hull that has the AA inside a box, these are the ones to be very careful with. Make sure that you check your barrel after every shot, especially if you reload on a PW or Spolar. Winchester quietly changed the design of the base wad/hull twice, not admitting any problem. The 2nd generation plain AA no box and the third generation underlined AA. I have not heard of any base separations with the 2nd and 3rd generations, but then a lot of people have switched to Remington hulls.

Jason

7. Unknown1

Waverider is right about the load data, I overlooked it looking for a 17 grain powder load.

The wad itself has nothing to do with what happens to the base wad.

MK

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Bens gun

Load them up and don't look back. It would be a nice light load. No problem with the windjammers and the AA hulls, either one or two piece. As stated before, the early two piece AA hulls are the ones that are suspect. They have the AA logo with a box around the AA. I've never had one separate, nor have I ever seen one first hand, but there are a few people that claim to have seen it. I also don't load my shells until I need tape or Elmer's Glue to keep the shot in either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.