1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad that go snap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hmb, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just found the solution to those wads that go snap and pop when they are pushed into the hull when you are reloading. I put a little resizing wax around the bottom edge of the wad. It went into the hull as smooth as silk.

You don't have to wax every one, one out of every four or five works fine. I used Lee resizing wax, the stuff you use to full length resize metallic cartridges. It does not react adversely with powder or primers, so it should be safe to use.

No more snap, crackle and pop. HMB

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I solved that problem when i started using Downrange Wads. I'm not sure if they have something on their wads or its the plastic they are made of but that problem left when i started using them.---Matt

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

What wads snap? And it what hulls?

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ok you guys. I agree my mproblem with STS hulls have been with claybuster wads. In the winter and in my cold garage, thye do not want to go in at all or if they do, quite reluctantly. I thought I'd switch to reg Rems as I know they work in the cold, but can I save some money with DownRange wads? And will they work? What other wads go willingly thru a PW wad guide into a STS hull?

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I have found that the cheap Winchester wads, WT12, the yellow ones are slippery to the touch and go in just fine. HMB

6. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Tim99 - That has been my experience too, especially with the green, pre-STS Premiers. I got the worse snaps from Remington Figure 8s and TGTs. WT12s and GreenDuster gave no snaps. The economy being what it is, my regional dealer has dropped Dusters and PC/Downrange and is just stocking Claybusters. He still stocks WT-12s and they work for 1 1/8 ounce. He gave me a handfull of new Claybusters 1 ounce wads that are tapered a bit so they don't snag the basewad/insert in the AAHS hulls. He thought they might work w/o the snap. I tried those samples and they seem to work w/o the snaps.

7. Jawari2000

Jawari2000 Member

I used to have the same issue with CB wads. I adjusted the wad guide on the MEC & the CB wads do not snap and pop anymore. Also, CB appears to have changed the plastic quality because the ones that I just bought are much more slicker than old ones - the new ones are somewhat similar to DR wads in slickness.

Make sure you buy from new CB stock and that the wad guide is centered on the hull in the loader. Also, use as little pressure as will firmly seat the wad on top of powder - don't try to collapse the column or anything like that. Good luck with CB wads.

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I spread a bag of wads out into a large vessel (I use a Sterilite plastic keeper, big one) with newspaper or paper towel in the bottom and give a light spray with silicon. Aggitate and repeat. the spray dries in just a minute. I like the CB 12S0 clone, but not the way it loads in the MEC. The silicon makes it much smoother and easier loading.

K

9. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Jawari2000 said it first - raised the wad guide a bit and noise went away for me.

Your results may vary!

W&W

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.