1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Wad style- Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Had a conversation at the club the other day about different wads a few guys were reloading in 1oz. loads in rem. hulls. I stated i used the DRXL-1, the lime green wad from Downrange, well there were 5 of us there and all but me used the Remington DRTGT12 wad, and all said i should also be using that wad. The wad they are using has the two cicles in the wad, what advantage does the shape of one wad have over another? Is the Rem. wad a better wad and why? Thanks Dave

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

The DRXL-1 seems to work very well for me; it is sorta a ford vs. chevy personal preference question. The DRTGT seems to kinda kink (tip over) when being inserted. I think the amount of powder recommended is about the same, but I go with the one which is most economical for other components (powder,primer). Best Regards, Ed

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Your friends are jockeying for the title of "Club Reloading Expert".

4. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

Move from the club house to the trap field, proceed to kick their a$$ with your shells and the discussion is pretty much over! RM

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I also use the TGTs, for me they seem to "seal" better. Tried the DR products & got too many soft & odd sounding shells and a lot of plastic build-up in the bore. Even tried them in different guns with the same results. Everything else was the same primer--powder--etc. This was mainly in the colder weather, so for a couple pennies per box I went back to Rem. TGTs. the TGTs work well (for me) with 7\8oz also, I do use a bulky powder 700x--Red Dot--etc. with Rem. or Fed. primers in STS or Fed paper hulls. just my experience. Ross Puls

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

A major difference between those two wads is the leg section. The TGT-12 (and the DRM equiv.) compress when seated with a too long wad ram or shot drop tube, then spring back. The DRXL1 does no do so. Once compressed, it does not spring back and you have fit problems.

I tried the DRXL1 in my Grand press and it did not work. Kevin at DRM said to order a special short shot tube from RGBS and that would cure the problem. I cured the problem by using a different wad. I use the Rem TGT-12 or the DRM equivalent and have no issues. I've also used the Green Duster.

If the XL1 works for you, stay with it. If not, why settle for second best? Pick another wad.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The DRT-12 wad is a clone of the Remington TGT-12 wad; the green XL-1 is a ballistic (not physical) clone of the Winchester WAA12-SL wad. The wads do the same thing, they just produce different ballistic numbers when doing it. I usually pick the wad that uses the least powder to produce the same velocity at a higher pressure. Less variation in pressure and velocity (yes, they've been tested by Kevin at DR Mfg.)

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.